Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Question about liveaboard/anchoring regulations

I've read several threads here that discuss the increasing difficulty in finding live-aboard friendly marinas and anchorages here in the US where you won't be harrassed by government agencies. Without getting into the specifics of why this is so, I have two questions.

1. Do other countries have similar problems with restricting boaters from anchoring or cracking down on live-aboards?

2. What groups could I support here in the US that are serious about lobbying for boaters' rights to live aboard their vessel?

I realize this post is rather general in nature and I apologize for not being more specific. I'm really not sure how to phrase the questions without opening a debate on the "why's" of regulations and laws. Thanks for the patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Question about liveaboard/anchoring regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
2. What groups could I support here in the US that are serious about lobbying for boaters' rights to live aboard their vessel?
Seven Seas Cruising Association: ssca.org
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Seven Seas Cruising Association: ssca.org
Thanks, I will check them out?
Old 06-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

The problem is boat bums. Down here in the Key's there are a bunch of drunks and pill popp'n theives living on deralict vessels. They make it hard for live aboard sailors to have a voice. The law's they are putting in place as we speak to get rid of those scumbags is transfering over to us. These people are breaking lose from anchor and hitting power lines or washing up in home owners yards. They are pooping in the water and are basically an eye sore when you look out on the anchorage. Your average land lubber can't see the diff. between salty dude and boat bum. Worse is when the city commision has a meeting to address the issue, those A-holes show up at the court house and protest, doing them selves and those of us who who should be out there a huge dis-service! The cops that enforce the law's are just land lubbers on a skiff for the day, so they don't know what they are looking at when they see it. It's very frustrating.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-24-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
The problem is boat bums. Down here in the Key's there are a bunch of drunks and pill popp'n theives living on deralict vessels. They make it hard for live aboard sailors to have a voice. The law's they are putting in place as we speak to get rid of those scumbags is transfering over to us. These people are breaking lose from anchor and hitting power lines or washing up in home owners yards. They are pooping in the water and are basically an eye sore when you look out on the anchorage. Your average land lubber can't see the diff. between salty dude and boat bum. Worse is when the city commision has a meeting to address the issue, those A-holes show up at the court house and protest, doing them selves and those of us who who should be out there a huge dis-service! The cops that enforce the law's are just land lubbers on a skiff for the day, so they don't know what they are looking at when they see it. It's very frustrating.
Your description of part of the problem is one of the reasons I asked the second question. I'm sure there are better ways of taking care of that type of problem than just banning everyone from living on their boat. There are people even as I type this that are living in their campers. Do we start fining campgrounds for harboring such despicable criminals? It just seems that governments solution is to throw more laws at the problem and I'm really curious if other countries do the same or are they more tolerant of the boating community. Judging from some experiences that have been shared in this forum it sounds like the big bully (government) is trying to trample on the little guy without regards to whether or not it is justified.
Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

I have lived all over the Western Caribbean on the hook and the gov's. there could care less. They have real problems to worry about. It's an up tight, upper middle class with an ocean view, pompus, cut the shrubs straight, move to a bar district and complain about the noise, buy a house on the water and complain about the boats in the bay, land lubb'n, dare I say Yankee attitude. I grew up on the hook in the Key's and as the mangroves came down and the neighborhoods went up, we were told to move along. It is alway's some p-whipped dudes wife from some up tight snow bird community complaining. Add boat bums to the equation and it's almost hopeless. They are trying to pass a law, no engineless vessels alowed to anchor. I don't have an eng. by choice. Friggin land lubbers should'nt be allowed to even look at the water! ( I kid) No offense intended, but that's how it is down here, has been for 30 years.
And the boating community else where consits of local fisherman and us, so it's different.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-25-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Pompus posteriors positively provoke me to puke!! Instead of entitlement, some people need a dose of enlightenment! I'm glad to hear that the Caribbean is much more relaxed about such matters. It sucks to have to deal with people like that.
Old 06-25-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

I have been keeping sailboats in Sw Florida on anchored moorings for 7-8 years now...Seen the types of boats/boaters anchored out from Ft Myers to Clearwater and can say it is not just the boat bums here in Florida who are screwing things up..It is also the guy who comes down from michigan or jersey every winter and one day sees a cheap sailboat or cabin-cruiser for sale,buys the boat and leaves it here on the hook thinking he can really start fixing up the fixer-upper he bought for 1000 bucks next winter...and fulfillthe lifelong dream...But he runs low on cash and Mom is sick in Jersey or Saginaw and he heads back up north thinking that Florida "doesn't have much of a winter" and when he finds out the boat sank and the local watercops are looking for him he dissapears back up north or to another part of Florida...It's not all the fault of the "boat bums" ...at least not here in SW FLA but they probably do deserve a good share of the blame...

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-25-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Those guy's are one step above boat bum and def. a big part of the problem.
Old 06-25-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
I have been keeping sailboats in Sw Florida on anchored moorings for 5 years now...Seen the types of boats/boaters anchored out from Ft Myers to Clearwater and can say it is not just the boat bums here in Florida who are screwing things up..It is also the guy who comes down from michigan or jersey every winter and buys a boat and leaves it here on the hook thinking he can really start fixing up the fixer-upper he bought for 1000 bucks next winter...and fulfillthe lifelong dream...So he runs low on cash and Mom is sick in Jersey or Saginaw and he heads back up north thinking that Florida "doesn't have much of a winter" and when he finds out the boat sank and the local watercops are looking for him he dissapears back upnorth or to another part of Florida...It's not all the fault of the "boat bums" ...at least not here in SW FLA but they probably do deserve a good share of the blame...
I'm sure it's not but it's my opinion that these bozo's in office get paid a pretty good salary to figure out fair and equitable ways of solving problems. Until they do, individuals from the Coast Guard or DNR will have to continue to be the bad guys. After all, they're just enforcing the will of those voted into office, which may or may not be the will of the people. Like they say, money talks...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.