SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Looking for a liveaboard in SF Bay Area (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/89230-looking-liveaboard-sf-bay-area.html)

hkampman 07-01-2012 02:13 PM

Looking for a liveaboard in SF Bay Area

Hi out there!
I'm looking for a liveaboard in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a Bay Area native, I learned to sail in Sausalito. Now I'm looking to liveaboard, probably semi-temporary, but I'll see what I can get. Ideally I'd like to do it in San Francisco, but I'm also open to East Bay or North Bay. I have experience doing bright work. Is there any way I can get connected with boat owners offering liveaboard situations?

puddinlegs 07-01-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Looking for a liveaboard in SF Bay Area

Good luck with that. Happens only very rarely if ever.

Boasun 07-03-2012 12:23 PM

I have a live aboard in New Orleans...

Oops wrong coast...... Sorry ;)

Fstbttms 07-03-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkampman (Post 891413)
Hi out there!
I'm looking for a liveaboard in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm a Bay Area native, I learned to sail in Sausalito. Now I'm looking to liveaboard, probably semi-temporary, but I'll see what I can get. Ideally I'd like to do it in San Francisco, but I'm also open to East Bay or North Bay. I have experience doing bright work. Is there any way I can get connected with boat owners offering liveaboard situations?

The craigslist Marine Services section is probably your best bet but honestly- I think you will have a real tough time finding anybody willing to let you live on their boat in exchange for work.

SF bay area marine services classifieds - craigslist

shadowraiths 08-15-2012 04:39 AM

There's a guy who buys old boats, fixes them up, and rents them out. Think slum lord but on the water. I think most of his boats are set on the hook but I could be wrong. If you're still interested, let me know and I'll pm his info.

Eta ~ he's def not "cheap" though. That I recall it runs around $1K+/monthly. And that does not include maintenance, etc.

Cal28 08-28-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkampman (Post 891413)
Hi out there!

I was going to write you a longer post ... but just saw this that was posted on Craig's List 35 minutes ago ... pearson 30ft sailboat in excellant condition - $1200 (emeryville) ... good luck

SailingChance 09-01-2012 10:37 PM

There has to be a catch...

sww914 09-01-2012 11:59 PM

Go to Nelson Yachts in Alameda, he has a lot of boats that can be bought cheap and probably be made liveable for not too much money.

Cal28 09-02-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingChance (Post 916903)
There has to be a catch...

SailingChance ...

In the Bay area ... there are deals to be had ... sure you are not going to get a perfect boat WITH running inboard ... in fact most of those available ARE available because the inboard has given up the ghost ... and the cost to repair/replace that inboard is more than the boat is worth ... and yes that means alot of work to make it sailable and safe ... simply a matter of priorities ... and cashflow ...

and I know well ... I picked up a good sailing Ranger 23 (dead 6 HP outboard) ... with more than 4 good sails ... yes she needed alot of TLC and cleaning inside ... but still a very decent boat ... for $1

yes ... right place at the right time ... but still hard to beat ...

SailingChance 09-02-2012 02:00 AM

Lucky you. If you come across any other boats for a $1 let me know!!! :D