Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about living aboard

There are many ways to save money and living aboard may or may not be one of them. If you are financing your education you might consider taking a break till you can afford to pay cash, it will be a far greater burden than renting an apartment. Secondly if you have any debt pay it off at any cost and if and when you choose to move aboard buy a boat you can pay cash for. When I moved aboard my monthly outflow was just under 5k, now its about 600 bucks. I chose to liveaboard because I love being on the water, it wasn't a financial choice although, now I work about 10 hours per week. I am now looking at my 4th Pacific North west winter and don't have any complaints other that the rare ice on the docks. The boat is always warm and dry and with my new financial freedom, I am on the water at least 3 days a week, someday soon I will just sail off. For what its worth I make less than the national poverty average for a single man in America and want for nothing. I effectively retired at the age of 36 broke but debt free, every day is mine to do as I please. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are going to die, live every day as if it is your last. The rules in society are changing and if you are like 90% of Americans you will work till you die broke and in debt. Sorry but the world is changing, the American dream is dying. The most precious commodity you possess is time, use it wisely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

I like to keep my boat the "fun" part of my life. Had I moved aboard it, I'm afraid it would've fallen out of that category. The thing about living on a boat, as opposed to in a house or an apartment, is that now your 'home' needs constant attention. Those "Sunday Afternoons" where you get to lay in a hammock/easyboy/couch/whatever, will turn into "another day's work" if you're not careful.

And one thing that was never mentioned to our OP (hope he's still around), is that John D. Rockefeller said you should lease anything that depreciates and buy that which appreciates. "Owning" a sailboat is investing your future in a depreciating asset, don't forget. And for those that liveaboard that tell you, "I don't have a payment on my boat, I own it". Ask them what happens if they stop paying slip rent and paying for maintenance....within months they'd be homeless. Just a few "opposing views".
Old 09-20-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I've lived aboard for over 40 years and it saved me enough money to enable me to semi retire in my mid 20's ,working only a month a year since then. There is no way I could have accomplished that, had I lived on land, with it's huge expenses. When living aboard gets expensive , you are doing something wrong.

Where are you living aboard? In cold lattitudes, it can be very comfortable, or very uncomfortable . If it is the latter, you are doing something wrong. The key is lots of insulation and a good heat source. I have 1 1/2 inch of sprayfoam in my entire hull, decks and cabin. When I turn my saltshaker upside down, it will empty itself,with no shaking required. My boat is that dry inside.
A strip of anything, including fibreglass, connecting the inside to the outside, will drip condensation. Insulate anything which connects to the outside.
I have a good, large, airtight stainless woodstove, which will run up to 14 hours on a load of dry wood.
Boats have never been cheaper. The Cal is good choice , if you add a lot of insulation.
I havent tried it , but I read that if you dissolve borax in water, and brush it on a surface, the water evaporates, leaving a thin film of borax, which will stop mold from growing. Clothes and books you are not using can be kept mold free in a plastic bag with a few mothballs thrown in. An hour airing out eliminates the smell, when you want to use them.
Old 09-20-2012

ldcfla is on a distinguished road

I too am looking at starting the liveaboard life in about 3 months when I retire. I have already sold my house and am living in an apartment. Slowly getting rid of my possessions that aren't needed. I have been researching this new endeavour for about a year and still feel like there is so much to learn. I have attended seminars at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show and read so much online. I have researched boats and am looking will see what is available. I plan on paying cash so I won't have a loan to worry about.

I want to thank everyone that has posted on this site as I have learned alot from it.
Old 09-20-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I'm 72 years old, waited too damned long to do this, but in another two weeks I'll be living aboard my Morgan 33 Out Island - that's when I'm heading south to the Florida Keys, and maybe, the Bahamas. I'm a musician/entertainer by trade and I will continue to work wherever I end up dropping anchor.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 09-21-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

I lived aboard a Catalina 36 years ago and it was absolute HEAVEN. Of course, I was in Southern California, so there was no condensation, boat smell, etc to deal with. My GF and I both worked at the time and although I could go casual, she turned the aft cabin into a giant closet for her skirts, blouses & dresses. I built a set of dock steps with a Norcold freezer hidden inside, so we were able to shop weekly and store frozen meats, veggies and ice cream. We cooked aboard most nights (including the Thanksgiving turkey). We both showered aboard each morning and the water heater provided enough hot water for that. I had to fill the tanks about every third day. There was really nothing that we did without. I think it would be easier these days between flat panel TVs, Kindles, wireless internet, etc. I say go for it before your life gets bogged down with "stuff".

Mike
Old 09-24-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

If you find it expensive, then you are doing something wrong, or taking your advice form someone with a personal financial interest in emptying your pockets into theirs , or you are talking to one of their victims, who doesnt realize it yet.
Old 09-25-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusALilBitTwisted View Post
Start with Local and State Laws about living aboard, then Find a Marina with a open Live Aboard spot. Now start working the math, cost to keep her on the dock, Power and or water, storage for all your "STUFF", list all the gear you have too get to live on the boat don't for get insurance, I am missing a lot, others will fill in most of what i missed.

might not save you a dime in the End.........
Yes, really depends on the area, but you are on the water, and that is what maters. In Ohio, lived on a house boat (cost $5000) and it was more than an inexpensive apartment, but a lot more fun! In New York I think it is cheaper than even the cheapest apartment, but harder to find places to do it.
Old 09-28-2012

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

I live aboard in Oregon, have no hot water, no oven, no microwave, no shower (there are showers at the marina) a head that I only pee in, wash my dishes on the dock with a hose, make my bed in the main cabin every-night (and put it away in the morning). I dont have a TV (but I do have WiFi). And yes, I have plenty of condensation in the winter. But...I wouldn't trade this life for the world (ok, maybe a bigger boat, in a warmer climate...but..still...) The point is, it kicks ass. Go for it.
Old 10-03-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

The op shouls go for it worste that happens u hate it and sell the boat and think of it as bin there done it. Im only16 i have a 27'boat and plan on living aboard when im 18. Already working on the boat to make it more liveaboard friendly and stuff like that but i have 2 years to finish every thing before i live abard. Just do it go for it being in the water is the best thing there is