Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Thinking about living aboard

Thanks all for the much needed input! I'm planning on living aboard next year upon retirement. I've researched most of the options, costs and pitfalls. Now to decide on a boat! (I'll need the next 9 months to simply absorb the content here!)
I'm very good at "small footprint" living and find great satisfaction in that lifestyle while primitive camping. Now to transfer those skills and philosophy to a boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Thanks all for the much needed input! I'm planning on living aboard next year upon retirement. I've researched most of the options, costs and pitfalls.....................
Deltaten, You've probably already noticed that the options, costs and pitfalls are very much related to location. What is your general geographic area?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 10-21-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

CaptainForce;
Will be starting out on the farthest North region of the Chesapeake. Most probably from Hance's Point or thereabouts.
I'm of the opinion now that I'm better off settling for a smaller boat ta start with and graduate to the full-blown liveaboard once I'm usta the ways of the Bay.

Once acclimated for a season or so, we'll see just how my seamanship is and go from there.
Old 10-21-2012

flyingriki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edistomarsh View Post
Ive been thinking about ditching my monthly apartment rent for a sailboat to live aboard while i am working and going to school. Im tired of throwing money way every month to have nothing that i can call my own when its said and done, plus id like to save a little where i can. ive always loved sailboats, although i have very little experience with them. i have never sailed a boat in the 29'-35' range, the range im am looking at living aboard. right now ive got my eye on a 1977 cal 2-29.

Im looking for any advice, wisdom, or thoughts on the matter.

Marsh
Marsh,
I lived on A Catalina 36 for a few years. Good enough for one person but not that roomy after a few weeks....
The best part of living aboard is sleeping on a boat. The worst part is walking through the rain to the showers in the dark and cold.....
Don't forget to figure in the costs of hauling out and redoing the bottom every couple years, some engine work you may not be capable of, replacing thru hulls and redoing any exterior wood when needed. Even doing all my own sanding, fairing and painting, my yard bill came to $1500 or so with a little work by the yard, rental on the collection system sander, lots of beer and burritos and bottom paint.
Just allow for more room than you think you need and all the expenses to make a good comparison. Try to get a slip close to the showers and up wind so you can open the cabin in the rain without soaking the interior. Am getting ready to move aboard again and won't go less than 42', preferably 45' or so.
Good luck!
Old 10-22-2012

Deltaten, Good news! From the northern Chesapeake and south into Florida are some of the best places to easily live aboard with good slip rates. Since you're in North East, MD take the short trip over to Tidewater in Havre d'Grace. The last time I was there they had a fairly large number of older used sailboats up on the ways and some with a lot of potential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Yes, the way I ran the numbers I will be way ahead by living on a boat, before maintenance. I am sure maintenance will push me a bit over the cost of an apartment, but not by much. I can only afford either a boat or an apartment, not both. I can't buy a house as the X-wife will have that, and it is on my credit, so I can't buy a house till she buys me out or sells when the kids are out on there own. (or I win the lottery!) So for me it is because I can only afford one or the other, so it is a fairly easy choice. I will be on the water come spring. Now if I keep it on a mooring, it will be way cheaper than an apartment, but will take 2 months rent in extra systems, like solar. I don't really think I am ready for that, but have not decided. One mooring field by me is very bare bones, no electric or water, no bathrooms or anything.

It also depends on where you are, in Mid Hudson Valley New York apartments are quite expensive and slips are not too expensive. Some places like Florida it is the opposite relatively.
Old 10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
............It also depends on where you are, in Mid Hudson Valley New York apartments are quite expensive and slips are not too expensive. Some places like Florida it is the opposite relatively.
There are big differences in different areas of Florida. Something around $9/ft/month is not hard to find, but you might have an additional $100-$150/month liveaboard fee..

Old 10-26-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
There are big differences in different areas of Florida. Something around $9/ft/month is not hard to find, but you might have an additional $100-$150/month liveaboard fee..
The big difference is rents here, a studio/one bedroom in a decent neighborhood starts at about a thousand a month plus utilities. VS $29 a foot for winter season and $65 a foot for summer season with no live aboard fees at either marina. With the OP's 30 foot boat it averages out to 235 a month only having to pay utilities for 6 months (winter) plus your boat payment. Factoring in a 250 month boat payment, I still have 500 a month to break even on maintenance/insurance/other costs a month. Now in my scenario I do have a longer commute in the winter, so that ads about a 100 a month for winter season. But I am looking for a job near the winter port as they pay a lot better than were I am now.

So your example is 420 a month for the same 30 footer and I am sure apartments are a lot less than a 1000 for a studio/one bedroom, so there really is not much savings once you factor in boat payment.

Of course you have the benefit of living on a boat! That is priceless. I have a hard time understanding the difference in costs at different marinas around me. One marina that is about 5 miles from the one quoted above is 95 a foot, has almost no parking and is right next to a bunch of bars. Not my cup of tea.
Old 10-26-2012

Mani Moana is on a distinguished road

are you planning to live aboard or cruise somewhere? the cost depends a lot on the boat you will buy and on what you will do with her...

Old 10-27-2012
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road

I think cost is a bad reason to live on a boat. I think it will be in very few cases that you will spend less to live on a boat than on land. There will be exceptions, of course, but this is the most common reality. It can be done, obviously, but I am accounting for comfort, maintenance, seaworthiness, etc.

The exception to this is if you can't afford both a house and a boat, but want a boat. In that case, live on the boat!

I agree with the person who mentioned the difference between paying for something that is yours and simply paying rent for an apartment. The boat may be a bit more, but at least it's yours! You'll never see that rent money again.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.