SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Live aboard Orange County, CA (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/91720-live-aboard-orange-county-ca.html)

Ninjapanda3 09-05-2012 04:01 AM

Live aboard Orange County, CA

Hey everyone I'm wanting to live aboard in the OC! I don't own a boat but I know people rent theirs out to people. I know how to sail and everything just not sure where to find a posting with ones for rent or anything. If you have any info on where I can find this info plz let me know thanks

Philzy3985 10-23-2012 07:53 PM

Re: Live aboard Orange County, CA

Hey there,

I was living in OC for 6 years, the last 3 were spent renting in Newport Beach in the back half/guest houses of really nice people on Balboa and Lido Islands, always looking to spend my saved money on a sailboat and become a liveaboard in OC, so I've been in your boat shoes. Anyways, the liveaboard thing never materialized there.

Newport has a strict, basically impossible legal liveaboard requirement. LAB's have to stay on moorings and aren't entitled to shower facilities and parking like most dock-marinas. Additionally, the boat needs to be 100% self-sufficient with power and water. I was hopeful thinking that some of the low-key people with a house and dock in their backyard would be willing to trust me, and negotiate, just like if the boat was a guest house I could rent, but I never ever found something like that, or heard ofof anything like that. I had a job that got me introduced to a lot of people out there in the harbor too, made friends with their family members who were my age, and still, no chance. I don't think homeowners (especially in $1mill-$6+mill homes, with reputations) :puke would risk breaking the laws that harbor patrol has against being a liveaboard. The rules are in place to keep homeowners and safe boaters happy, and the harbor clean, etc..

It would be awesome if you found something, though, so good luck! Newport Beach is basically the perfect place to live and the harbor is always exciting. Dana Point, I believe, is not a LAB-friendly harbor.

Anyways, if you had to stay in OC I would suggest seeing if you're willing to stretch a little further up to Alamitos/long beach/san pedro. Huntington Harbor is a good community with people who have boats on their backyard docks, but barely any sailboats because of the PCH bridge seperating it from the ocean. Alamitos is really nice, for that reason they are probably not open to any more LABs then they may already have, and san pedro and wilmington and cabrillo are even farther for you. My research on the subject of liveaboards in this area, seems that currently the long beach area (Wilmington) marinas are vulnerable to losing money on empty slips and if you find a reasonable private marina, and promise to stay a long time, then maybe they set their own rules on LABs... again, this is on hear-say from forums and research, I don't know the real story.

I moved up to the South Bay, Redondo Beach, for 2 years renting a house and pursued the liveaboard goal, and finally began showing up in person, dressed nice, as much as possible to several marinas in king harbor and MDR, trying to convince them I'd be an ideal liveaboard. It finally worked out up here. The stars aligned for me for the first time in my life. It's hard though, seems word has got out in the last 10-15 years how great being a liveaboard can suite the right people who want it (especially in SoCal)... so, now there's waiting lists and all but 1 marina told me they were "already over our limit, sorry."

Size of the boat is the initial key to getting a slip, smaller slips are more often of rotating availability. Unfortunately the available slip-sizes are an indirect relationship with the size of boat you'd want to live on. Ideal LAB boat being 30ft + slips are harder to come by than 20' to 25' slips, and I learned, by visiting, that most marinas in LA required 35ft or 30ft minimums just to be considered for a LAB.

Good luck, though, Newport Beach and living at a dock with a facility and a boat to sail on, is a dream come true for a lot of people. I think that's why it's so difficult.

With all this said, I think the only way to have a chance at making it happen would be to go down there, rent a paddleboard or get on a bike and look closely at who's got rooms for rent in their house (they are willing to trust tenants, and seek rent money) and see if they have a dock or dock/un-used boat combo. Contact realtors, they are in-the-know down there, contact boat brokers, they've got some of the best experience and relationships down there. Or look at who's got For Sale signs on their boats behind their house, maybe see if you can offer renting it monthly, to live on it, keeping it clean and looking like nobody lives on it, maintaining it, staying away at work/school all day, not having parties, and maybe the owners will be willing to let that happen in order to regain a little money invested in the boat while it sits un-used or for sale.

There are a lot of un-used boats tied up down there, so if you connect with the right person, maybe it'll be right-place, right-time, right-people, and work. Chances are likely slim though.

sww914 10-23-2012 08:52 PM

I gotta say, the Harbor Police in OC were simply the worst of anywhere I've ever seen. We stopped at nearly every port in the southern 2/3 of the state. If I ever sail past California again I will not stop there under any conditions.

GMFL 10-23-2012 10:43 PM

Pretty much everything Philzy said above is spot on.

As for looking for a listing for live aboards you could try craigslist. The Log, a bi-weekly paper, may also have listings in its classifieds. Unfortunately, most of those ads are going to be people looking to live aboard, not boat owners looking for tenants.

I've been looking at getting a mooring so have been eyeing the ads and I believe there is one MOORING for rent, you'd have to have your own boat of course and renting moorings is supposed to be breaking rules.

As for the harbor patrol in Newport, it is actually the OC Sheriff that takes on this arduous duty and, yes, they've been know to be overly aggressive at times. I wouldn't base future trips here based on that necessarily. In San Francisco they ticket you if you don't have a current "Obama for Pres" sticker on your car. I still visit, despite having to send in the $300 in "revenues" requested every time.

tomperanteau 10-23-2012 10:59 PM

We are actually in a Wilmington slip and it is probably one of the cheapest on the coast. That said, the people in our marina are some of the nicest, most helpful, that you'll find. We've been able to work on our boat and get it ready for our voyage, and have enjoyed the advice of all the old salts around us.

I think that at some of the marinas it has become more of a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. If you make it obvious that you are living aboard, then you're in for trouble. If not, then you may get by. We could probably get by without any trouble.

miatapaul 10-25-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjapanda3 (Post 918122)
Hey everyone I'm wanting to live aboard in the OC! I don't own a boat but I know people rent theirs out to people. I know how to sail and everything just not sure where to find a posting with ones for rent or anything. If you have any info on where I can find this info plz let me know thanks

I have heard of people asking to rent a boat to liveaboard, but never anyone actually finding someone to rent it to them. I would be very surprised if you could find someone willing to rent a sea worthy boat for long term. You might check with the charter companies, but they will likely want a couple hundred dollars a day.

That being said there are lots of boats big enough to live on for fairly little cash. They may need a little bit of work, or a lot. I have seen nice 30 foot boats that looked good from 20 feet go for well under $5,000. I am sure that is less than any rental would want as a deposit anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomperanteau (Post 937820)
I think that at some of the marinas it has become more of a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. If you make it obvious that you are living aboard, then you're in for trouble. If not, then you may get by. We could probably get by without any trouble.

I think you are right here. One place I went to the harbor master said, I do not allow live aboard, but I don't care if you spend a LOT of time on your boat. I won't say anything to anyone as long as you aren't parting all the time. But I am a professional, with nice clothes and a decent car. If I showed up with long hair and dirty clothes in a beater, I doubt I would have had that offer! Of course just a year earlier I had hair down to the middle of my back, but it was always clean, combed and pulled back. Many marinas have had problems with derelict boats and derelict owners. So the rules say you can't but if you present yourself well and keep a clean boat I think there are many harbors you would not have an issue with.