Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013
Don't give up the ship!

Adele-H is on a distinguished road
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

As long as there a bottle opener!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

No better source than the USDA. Thats scientific enough for me.

Note while it says you can use both, It also says that non porus surfaces are easier to clean than wood. In a boat environment that also holds true.

As a certified Serv Safe instructor and a Federal HACCP instructor, the guidelines in the Serv Safe book ( which I am sure you use when teaching your students in the Culinary College) is very specific. Does The Health Department in Anne Arundel County allow wooden cutting boards? In Montgomery , PG, DC. Pennsylvania, and New Jersey where if have worked they are not permitted. they are not permitted.

Another reason wood is not perferrable is that because of it porous nature it is more likely to hold moisture and water than plastic. Wood cutting boards never really dry as the water gets imbedded in them. As you are aware moisture is one of the critical components for microbiological growth.

Bot types of cutting boards sgould be discarded when there are knife scars as stated by the USDA. The reason is obvious as they become a place to harbor food scarps. So tell me how old the board is in your boat. If you want to keep the nice decorative look for 30 years it should not be used for cutting. Another reaosn for not using wood is that quite often the boards have seems which are glued together. Over time the wood sweels ( because it is poris) and these seems open up and allow cracks for the food to get trapped in.

While most of this is ultra safety, it doesnt mean its not applicable. In our industry the days of the wooden cutting boards have vanished just like the wooden handled knoves have.

Quote:
Cutting Boards and Food Safety

Which is better, wooden or plastic cutting boards? Consumers may choose either wood or a nonporous surface cutting board such as plastic, marble, glass, or pyroceramic. Nonporous surfaces are easier to clean than wood.
Cutting Boards and Food Safety

Here is an example from the University of Missouri

Quote:
Plastic cutting boards have the seal of approval from research scientists. According to studies, wood cutting boards were more likely to retain bacteria than plastic cutting boards, even after a thorough scrubbing with a cleanser. Bacteria can be absorbed into the pores of wooden cutting boards. Contrary to earlier studies, the bacteria didn’t die in these wooden boards. About 75% of the bacteria lay dormant where they could
potentially contaminate other foods placed on the board.

Plastic vs. Wood Cutting Boards

Wood Vs. Plastic Cutting Boards - Are Wooden Cutting Boards Better Than Plastic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-01-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Like we both said, we disagree on the topic and that we both can agree on LOL

FWIW, Marylands COMAR http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/get...0.15.03.15.htm
(8) Cutting blocks, bakers tables, and similar wood food contact surfaces are made from:

(a) Hard maple; or

(b) Another material that is:

(i) Nontoxic;

(ii) Smooth; and

(iii) Free of cracks, crevices, and open seams;

In addition, New Jersey also allows wooden cutting boards http://nj.gov/health/eoh/documents/c...ctive_1207.pdf

These both were pulled from here http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/r.../ucm122814.htm

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 01-01-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I know...you asked for scientific evidence so I provided. State COMAR.? Aren't you under the counties jurisdiction? We will always disagree on this I guess.

We both agree though that either material needs wash rinse and sanitizing well. Most people fail to sanitize I think.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-01-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Looks like the science is in agreement on what's safest is what's most likely to be kept sterile. I'm kinda covering all the bases in s/v Cinderella's galley -- our cutting board is Starboard (for now, it needs replacement in the not-to-distant future which is what prompted my question) but most of our spatulas and my bread-kneading bowl are wood. At home as opposed to a commercial kitchen, esthetics will play a role as well. And we literally buy white vinegar by the gallon on this boat!

For lunch we had black eyed peas (for good luck); leafy greens (to encourage money to come into our lives) and honey cake (for a sweet year). Any other food traditions for New Year's Day we should incorporate?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-06-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

How about a galley review from a skipper with a vulgar palette! Spices like sex toys?,- I don't think so! Flotation devices on your tongs?,- I don't know if we own tongs! Don't misunderstand me,- I'm addicted to food.....'not a day goes by, but I like everything! What's the galley like for the cruiser that's an easy mark? I once owned a grill on my transom,- it was a gift soon regifted because it was never used. I never fish! Way too much work for something to eat. I was once asked if I wanted a second beer, "sure", I said, but when I pulled the first beer out of the cozy it was exposed as a diet coke. I never noticed! So, here's the galley for the easy mark. I like the double sink so I can use one side as a dish drainer. I have a propane three burner propane Princess oven, but I've never used the oven,- a perfect place to store some pots and pans. I refill my two 13lb propane tanks a little less often than once a year! For 110V tools I have a toaster oven, microwave, Mr.Coffee & electric fry pan. For 12V I have a low amp draw Danfloss 6.5 cubic foot refrig/freezer. Nancie insists on some fresh produce, but I'm good with anything in cans! Pressure cooking?,- no stress....it just does not happen.....'pass me that beer or diet coke,- whatever!
Edit: best microwave recipe: Nuke it 'till it pops!

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 01-06-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Add a recipe!
Old 02-03-2013
s/v Paragon

momoparagon is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if this is a repost, but I've found this site to be a wonderful source of information. Always interesting and new posts, plus the occasional giveaway.

The Boat Galley

As for a favourite thing in my galley, I would have to say my double walled, vacuum sealed Klean Kanteen bottle/thermos. The moment the coffee or tea is ready I pour the extra in the bottle and, even hours later, it is burn-your-lips hot. I've found it to be a great companion on cold watches, and it also saves propane that would be used to heat up drinks that have cooled. It's also made of stainless steal which helps its longevity.

Fair winds,
Mo
Old 02-03-2013
Don't give up the ship!

Adele-H is on a distinguished road

Thermoses are great! they keep hot hings hot and cold things cold!
Energy savers for sure!
Old 02-04-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Couple of points re recent mini cruise .....

Summer .... pressure cooker not used at all. Yes it got good use in winter but in warm weather, think tits on a bull.

Stacking Cookware .... rarely used but see below re food processors.

Manual Machines .... manually operated blender and food processer are on our list. Given that we don't spend a lot of time plugged into shore power (48 hours in four weeks) recharging appliance batteries is a pain in the butt, even with only telephones and computers it seems never ending. I reckon that with a manual FP we'll then make more use of the stacking cookware, particularly the stock pot for both cold summer soups and hot winter.

Grills (aka BBQs) .... we currently have one of those round Magma kettle jobs. Rectangular unit is on the way. While the round is fine for grilling a couple of steaks or a whole fish, being able to use the grill as , in effect, a two burner stove would be a great boon. Cooking below decks in an Australian summer is just plain silly.

Cockpit work table .... havn't worked this out yet and maybe it can be an add on to the new BBQ but having a work table available while one cooks would make life so much easier. Cockpit table is too far away from the bbq to be practical, particularly with a non walk through cockpit.

btw .... what brand of grill do you use ?

cheers

Andrew B

edit - erkkk ... should have posted this in the Galley Equip thread not the provisioning thread. Post is on the move.
Adele-H likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-05-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2013

Dougtiff is on a distinguished road

I have a microwave after reading a article written bya very experience cruising couple, in it they stated they had one for heavy weather sailing ,as it negated using the stove with potential hot whatever and getting burned, made sense to me, so i have a small 800 watt unit powered thru a inverter and i have used it more than once in heavy weather, it's fast and safe.