Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

Almost forgot. Here is your new boat at sunrise in Castine in 2009.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012

DINKS14 is on a distinguished road

What a gorgeous picture - thank you so much for sharing! She's a stunner. We can't wait to explore the Maine coast in her next summer.
Old 09-05-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the french press
blowinstink likes this.
Old 09-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Well, we have been LA on/off since about 1999, and spending very long weekends aboard since 1995. I will give you my opinions. First, a few disclosures:

1) We are cruisers. We like getting out of the slip and going places, so this is not all pure LA.

2) Most of our experience is with kids.

3) We are in the south (S Fl now, then further south where it may be even hotter...)

Flatware, plates, knives, etc...

So, lets see. We started off with the camping gear business. After all I grew up camping. DIdn't take long before it felt like I was camping in my home. We then went to Corelle, then the non-skid plastic kind of stuff you get at West Marine or The Galleyware Company, and finally nice china.

I came to hate the Corelle for the boat. It is cheap. That is true. But it always liked to scratch up and inevitably cracked or chipped. It has no place on our boat now. The best thing we have had for long term is the Plastic (Melamine???? I have no idea what it is made of) stuff from the West Marine or Galleyware Company. It looks nautical and has lasted and works in a microwave. It does not stain and has nonskid. It clean up easy and stacks well. The cost sucks, but it is good everday stuff and we have a set here.

We also have a nice set of China. We use this depending on where we are and who is coming over. When the kids are having cereal outside, well, its the non-skid stuff. When we are having friends over, it is china or when we are at a good anchorage when we think it will not have an accident.

I would keep a small pack of paper plates on board. We use them a bit. They are especially nice on dock parties or when cleaning up after dishes is not desirable. Remember, everything gets hand washed now. Its also a lot easier to dispose of paper plates than plastic. We get rid of all plastic on our boat where we can.

We use nice SS silverware. I detest cheap silverware that is not balanced and falls off your plate. Now I sound like a snob, but that is a pet peeve (esp with kids).

We have pretty much eliminated all (ALL) glass off the boat. Instead, we only use crystal glasses for wine and mixed drinks (or when having friends over). Crystal doesn't seem to explode when it drops into millions of little shards like glass. Glass (and even crystal to a point) is dangerous on a boat. However, it makes drinking wine more enjoyable and makes for nicer evenings with friends when entertaining.

We also carry nice plastic cups that are good for everday and a couple of plastic wine glasses.

We are fans of good knives. I personally use Shuns for the most part, with a few Wuhstoffs and Hinkels (sp??). Shuns are by and far the best knife I have ever owned... but that is another subject.

Microwaves

I am a HUGE fan of microwaves on boats... especially if you have a large inverter. It gets more use than probably anything on our boat. We can heat up food with minimum energy and heat into the cabin. THings that might tae an hour (baked potatoe) now takes 5 minutes. Soups are a snap, as is bacon, leftovers, etc. And most of all, fresh popped popcorn on a long nights watch at 2am has a way of keeping my crew from a mutiny. Now again, we live where it gets really hot and cooking a huge meal down below (including all the steam and moisture and fumes) is very undesirable at times. That may not be the case for others up north where you dont mind the heat or moisture. But down here, if my microwave crapped out, I would be at the store in no time to get a new one. THey are super cheap and very reliable and use very little power. they are also a backup for if you run out propane (errhmm.... which always seems to happen right in the middle of a nice meal).

Pressure Cooker

We didn't use it a lot before recently but have begun using it at Wing-N-Wings suggestion (I owed her for the grill, anyways). Suprisingly, we are growing accustomed to it. What we like is that it cooks quickly and uses less energy (ie heat in the cabin) than not using it. I would suggest it if you have room. Issue with the pressure cooker is it takes a lot of room.

Propane

Get a spare cylinder of propane.

Grills

I am a huge fan of grills on boats (everyone hre makes fun of me). 90% of the meals we do is on the grill for our meats. Again, it keeps the heat and fumes out of the cabin and quite candidly, it gives room for two to work. If you are not much of a griller at home though, I suspect you wouldn't be on the boat either. But when you have to go below at an anchorage and it is 90-100 degrees outside, and the thought of starting up the oven makes you nauseus, that grill sure will look appealing!!!

Vacuseal

Those things are AWESOME! They will save you money and probably one of the best things we have put on board. Instead of shopping at your local grocery store, you can load up (esp before taking off cruising) at Sams/Costco and save a lot of money and keep everything much fresher. Also reduces the room they take up and takes the scent out of things (ie, roaches and ants and mice). Worth its weight in gold.

Other tidbits:

Collapsible strainer. Cheese grinder (we buy our cheese in blocks and grind on demand... cheaper and lasts longer and takes up less space). Nesting cookware is awesome and I would sure find the money for that. We carry two nice Caphalon non-skid skillets. Toaster. Can opener. Wine opener. Two good paris of scissors (one for utility and one for food). Electric knife for filleting fresh catch. We use a Brita water filter (large one) and keep lots of extra filters. We finally got used to the aluminum standup ice trays and use a meat pounder to crack up the ice ($2/bag at most marinas... if they are nice). We brought a bread maker for years and used it twice. It is no longer on my boat. 2 good roasting pans that fits in your over (better measure). 2 aim-a-flames (the type that dont blow out). A fan pointing at galley. Nice non-breakable platter. Essential Galley Companion by Amanda Swan-Neal (though we don't agree on the bread maker).

Brian
wingNwing, Dean101 and VK540 like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Oh, forgot the small coffee maker (5 cup).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-05-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Hey, welcome to SN and to living aboard!

What to bring in your galley is rather individual - how do you like to cook, what do you eat, where will you cruise, all affect your choices.

We use Corelle dishes - just nice enough to not feel like camping, just sturdy enough to get knocked about a bit. Never worried about the nonskid bottoms; in our application, if its bouncy enough to worry about dishes sliding off the table, we're probably not going to be doing a sit-down dinner. Also get deeper bowls than you would normally and only fill them half full (we use the serving bowls instead of the cereal-size shallow bowls) its also likely that the contents are going to slosh a bit. Unbreakable wine glasses or Tervis tumblers.

We have a marine 4-pot nesting cookware set with removable handles, Fagor, that works wonderfully and stows in 1 cubic foot. A 5 or 6 liter pressure cooker works quite well for 2 people and is super-efficient in both water and power on the boat, (and is very hip ) a good website for learning to use it is here: hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips! Collapsible silicon strainer and mixing bowls from Target. A good set of knives and we built a strap to hold them in a locker - they'd get knocked around too much in a drawer. (This was the only gamechanger storage wise. Everything else is just stowed where it won't rattle.)

We pretty much got rid of all electric appliances, ESPECIALLY anything that uses electricity to make heat - very inefficient. For coffee, heat the water on the stove and use a melitta drip or GSI (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/...z_java_drip/); The closest we come to an electric appliance is a battery-operated immersion blender. You don't say whether you'll be living in a marina or on the hook after this first winter; if power will be an issue, like living on the hook, Home - Lehmans.com is an interesting source of non-electric appliances.

Save the containers from anything your family buys regularly to use for storage of dry foods - we have a nice set of widemouth gallon plastic jars from protein powder that now hold all our bulk oatmeal, flour, pasta, etc and smaller ones from specialty rice and dried beans; another friend collects peanut jars from Costco.

You'll think about stowage differently than you would on land. Instead of grouping like things together, like all foods and dishes and pots and pans near the galley, where you would logically think of them; you will now store things based on which locker is very dry and which tends to moisture, or which is below the waterline (nice consistent temperature for your wine) and which above, and the size and shape of the locker, and so on. Don't sweat the "logic" of your system, things will get stored where they make sense to YOU.

Here's something to try while you're still at home. Take everything - every.single.thing - from your kitchen cabinets and put it in the basement. Now, live your normal life. When you need something to cook dinner, go to the basement and get it, use it, and put it away in the cabinets. At the end of a month you'll have a kitchen full of things you actually use, and a basement full of things to give away.

For water, we use a Seagull undercounter water filter and drink directly from the water tanks. For other drinks, I refuse to buy the bulk of canned or bottled drinks, most of which are plain water. We use some kind of juice concentrate or powder like CrystalLight and dilute it ourselves (saves space and weight) and for tonic water or club soda, use a SodaStream machine.

I'm sure Brian (CruisingDad) will be along soon to tell you how wonderful life is with a grill or two on the stern rail.
Cruisingdad and Dean101 like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Last edited by wingNwing; 09-05-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: misplaced punctuation had us using a blender to make coffee
Old 09-05-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Ha! I knew it! CruisingDad was posting while I was composing! Great minds, and all that...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your pressure cooker. Someday, we'll both be in the same harbor at the same time, and we will most assuredly have a potluck - and cookoff - your grilled fish vs my pressure-cooker curried fish stew. And beer. Lots of beer.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 09-05-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Pressure cooker is a cooking aid with a major safety benefit.

Even if used unpresurised it will not spill if it jumps of the stove.

Quite a few cruisers have been badly burned in stove accidents.
Old 09-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
I'm sure Brian (CruisingDad) will be along soon to tell you how wonderful life is with a grill or two on the stern rail.
Ha! Already beat you to it! Look above!! (Aso notice I threw out the ole suggestion for the pressure cooker via you!!).

Brian

PS Good post as always, J.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-05-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Ceramic knives from Harbor Freight are cheap and slice anything - even Dyneema/Amsteel lines. Tea kettle so you can boil water without it sloshing around.
sailordave likes this.