Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Corian dishes are great. They clean up with a lot less water than plastic and you have to hit them hard on something metal to break them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
To be frank, I do not like Corian one little bit. Yep, it can withstand impact pretty well but get it at the right angle and blammo, goes off like a car windscreen. An absolute mongrel to clean up.
Oi be tinking oi be that me an SWW meant Corelle not Corian.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Here's our experience, for what it is worth.
1.Our galley is less than 6 square feet, yet we regularly serve 6-8 covers at a time.
We have even done a well recieved thanksgiving dinner. Eating on a boat buys you a whole ton of forgiveness from otherwise picky guests.
2. We don't buy anything from a chandlery. go to your nearest dollar store and buy melamine plates, and non-skid placemats, and a packaged set of flatware. for $20, you should be able to get a dinner service for 6-8, and while it aint;' fancy, the atmosphere more than makes up for it. For a further $75, you can even get a usable set of nesting cookware from any number of online retailers. So, for under $120, you can have a fully outfitted galley, including cheap but serviceable stemware, for those picky guests who don't like to drink their pinot out of solo cups.
(not that there is a difference between "guest" and "crew'- crew will happily drink whatever you have out of whatever you got, while guests are more high maintenance. in other words, crew get invited back, guests get a one-time pass.)

3. Get a crapload of 1/2 pint and 1 pint sealable reusable containers. You will always dice too many onions, too many peppers, too much garlic, etc., save it and reuse, or, if you have the time and forethought to prep, dice extra for meals the next day.
4. We don't use a pressure cooker. we don;t have room for it. if you've got room go for it.
5. Non-pressure alcohol stoves will cook damn near anything, no matter what anyone says. We have used ours for 5 seasons, and have used our PITA Kuuuma BBQ twice.
The key is to keep the alcohol burners topped up- fuel is heat, and heat is your friend. Light the burner, lay on the pan, then let the pan get hot. Go chop cilantro, or more garlic. You can always turn the heat down, but it is damn hard to coax a full pan to get hotter. And nothing has ever been ruined by more cilantro or garlic. except a vamp[re's grand entrance. and dessert.

Filet mignon and asparagus risotto on an alcohol stove? Done it

Pork souvlaki with pan-toasted vietnamese style baguette, fried peppers and onions, tzatziki and hummus? done it.

6. Spices are like sex toys- try 'em you'll like 'em! experiment, have fun, with tarragon, cumin, thyme, rosemary, oregano,, keep a bunch on board. Hell, with the right spice profile, a pouch of ramen noodles and slices of fried bologna in boiling water will make guests swoon.
7. Worcestershire, Siracha sauce, Soya sauce, tabasco, hoisin sauce, maple syrup, oyster sauce, extra virgin olive oil balsamic vinegar and a bottle of yellow mustard don't take up much space but can make damn near any damn sauce or marinade you may require.
8. get at least three pairs of tongs.
9. all of those keychain floaties you get at boat shows? attach them to your tongs. trust me.
10. The money you have saved on flatware, dinnerware, expensive pots and pans, spend on a good set of knives.
great post B! Dont agree with some of it, but others will and others wont. And if you even so much as snicker towards a bbq again, you can consider yourself banned. Dont forget what I will do!!! In all seriousness, I see a discrepancy between northern and southern sailors. THats a good thing a great feedback. Just tells you its not all the same everywhere,

B

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
ha bloody ha ... hey its not the island thats the problem its the water surrounding it ....

Nice to know you drop tongs over board as well. Floaties eh ? What a grand idea. Pity the bloody boat show was last month.

Other stuff.

I last used a pressure cooker thirty years ago so yep this is going to be an experiment but we do a lot of casserole type things in winter and when cooked conventionally that is an awful lot of fuel burnt. I like that the one we have chosen is relatively shallow so we can use it as a frying pan to kick off a dish and then seal it up to do the time intensive stuff.

We are lucky and have a boat big enough to store both china and glass plus melamine. If however it came to the crunch I'd go melamine and we always use the stuff when offshore or coastal. To be frank, I do not like Corian one little bit. Yep, it can withstand impact pretty well but get it at the right angle and blammo, goes off like a car windscreen. An absolute mongrel to clean up. Now I know this puts me into crotchety old fart territory but I am never going to use plastic goblets. If I'm going to drink wine out of plastic then it will be a tumbler. Plastic goblets are just plain silly. Grumble grumble grinch grinch.

Ye verily to those who speak of resealable containers but try and avoid round. Square or rectangular shapes waste less space and tend to be easier to access from front opening lockers. Positive lock seals, not just push on lids. If you take them off the boat and dishwash them be careful. The seals do not like super hot water unless of course they are silicon.

While I don't much like alcohol stoves I can see their value in a minimal kitchen but I doubt I'd ever want one as a BBQ. Nonetheless and given that in Sydney we have more than the occasional rainless days and a summer that lasts longer than a fleeting moment we do get good use from our BBQ unlike it seems our more sodden Canadian cousins.

Yea to sauces, spices and herbs but also to chorizo, salami and the like in sausage form. Hang 'em up in the galley and they will last for yonks.

Knives knives knives, yes yes yes.
Love ya Brother. I really do. You'll come around... assuming you realize you dont have to boil cans in water with freeze dried whatever to make a meal.... aint no spice in the world to fix that, not even curry...

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-06-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Dropping a pair of tongs overboard is unfortunate; dropping a church key overboard is a borderline keelhauling worthy offense...
Pfft. Got you beat. How about hoping on your bike and riding half way across God's green earth to wash the danged comfortor (which you didn't want to do anyways, but were threatened with those things which are not fair to a good looking married fellow). THen you wash them, dry them (all freaking day cuz they only fit in one freaking dryer on the island) then bike them home. Hand them at the boat to the good child of your loin (and hers, nevermind) to help onboard. A misshap and they hit the water. No anchor on God's green earth has ever dissapeared faster. Like a baptist at a liquor store.

Now the two of ya are standing there, staring at the water like a couple of morons, just waiting for God himself to hand them back up, then realize you must come up with a reasonable excuse to the wife cuz "They fell in the drink" ain't gonna cut it if you want to sleep in air conditioning that night.

It was then my wife realized that Pirates roam these trusted waters of Florida. Bast***s. Never cared for them since.

Brian (and Chase).

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

What's a "comfortor" ?

And I ain't boiling no damned cans I can tell you. Leave that to the crazy Englishman.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

0IC .... doona, quilt, doona or eiderdown ....

hey, don't you lot call those things you whack into a babies mouth (no not those things these things ) comforters ? Its a wonder BBQBuoys kids didn't grow with a mouth full of feathers.

oh wait ... pacifiers not comforters .... I think more of an AK47 when I think pacifier but then I never was much good with wee kiddies.

Last edited by tdw; 09-23-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

We use a Correlle set we have 2 matching sets 8 of every thing pretty well un-breakable oh, now i have said it. Dont for get to have a good set of s/s pot and pans.
Old 09-06-2012

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINKS14 View Post
So we pulled the trigger and it's all working out (rather smoothly, which has us worried) that we'll be sailing our new (to us) liveaboard cruiser, a 1978 43' Gulfstar Mark II down to our marina this weekend! Over the next 3 weeks we'll be moving aboard and doing the purge of all of our land life possessions. We've already gotten rid of all the furniture and anything that for sure isn't going aboard but we haven't yet dealt with our kitchen. So I thought I'd get some advice from seasoned liveaboards...
  • What are the must-haves in the galley?
  • What did you move aboard that you ended up never needing/using?
  • If you had a wish list for your galley what would it be?
  • Do you really need to only use plastic plates, cups, etc?
  • Any refits to your storage/cabinetry that you did that was a gamechanger?
  • Moisture issues for cooking ingredients?

I really like to cook and can be pretty ambitious at times which I don't expect will stop once aboard, just change. I want to be sure we have what we need to cook up good, nutritious and hearty food to get through our first winter aboard in New Hampshire!

Any tips, lists, thoughts would be very appreciated!

Cheers!
I have been living aboard for three years ... and I do enjoy eating well ... one of life's pleasures ... so I will give you my experience ... please temper knowing that I am not cruising ... sailing abit but still with 110 dockside power and I am on a Cal 28 ... with a small galley ...

game changer for me was a Norcold 3.1 cu ft refrigerator 12vdc/110vac ... first item I purchased for the boat and got it for $50 off of craig's list ... runs like a champ even tho' it is now about 9 years old ... mounted it in the former locker next to the V berth and was worried at first I'd hear it running but it soon became just another known noise that I never notice ... small freezer that allows for some ice and a fee frozen goodies ... large enough refrig to keep milk ... meat and a couple of day's goodies ...

must haves for me ...

- microwave (sharp halfpint) ... good for reheating leftovers quickly and warming soups as well as keeping bread stuffs rather fresh
- Bodum young coffee press

after trying several drip/perc makers ... this just works for me ... and makes great coffee (and tea) ... that I live on ...

- bought several plastic grind salt pepper containers from Trader Joes (less than $2 ea filled) ... and simply replace with bulk ... never a problem with moisture/sticking as you grind it all

- weber smoky joe grill

keep it in the dock box along with the charcoal ... nothing better for Friday night steaks on the dock ...

- although I keep paperplates aboard (usually in festive tropical design that are from Big Lots) ... when I have company ... or just want to spoil myself it's good to have something more ahhh ... refined ... thus from Ikea ...

holds a full meal with a lip to reduce any spills ... color matches the boat ... and reduces the number of plates to wash ... and has matching bowls that are relatively inexpensive ... btw I used corelle for 10 years before moving aboard ... and only broke one dish ... would use it again but I like these better ...

- same for glasses ... yes I have the plastic ... wine included ... but sometimes it is good to just splurge ... have a couple of wine glasses ... and a set of good tumblers in orange and turquoise again to match the color scheme ...

- for storage containers ... I found OXO to be too expensive ... and also the top lid (pressure) wasted space ... so I stick with Snapware

relatively inexpensive and works to keep moisture out ...

- again ... I found the collapsing bowls to be rather expensive but the colander and funnels are great and well used ...

- just moving to an LP stove and oven (current refurb going on) ... so in terms of cookware ... still using small and medium fry pan and a large sauce pan ... haven't tried the stackables yet as I am weary of the single handle ultimately getting loose ... I have a well used toaster oven that served me well but will be gone when the oven is installed ...

- numerous small flexible cutting boards ... hopefully finding a good one to install (hinged and hanging)

Hope this helps in some way ... and best of luck
Old 09-06-2012

DINKS14 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all so much for your amazing (and totally hilarious) input. Tim and I have compiled a fantastic list. One question - where do you get those handy hammocks for the boat?

And a bit more of the details - we'll be dockside with shore power over the winter and into the spring but are planning some week long and longer (if work lets us) cruising trips next summer around the coast of the Maine so we'll be on the hook. I'd like not to get too used to shore power in our galley as I know I will then have to "ween" when we go on the hook. Eventually we may end up living on the hook as it's so much cheaper so I'd like to get into the groove in our galley now that allow living on the hook to be the norm.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-06-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
FWIW - maybe plastic plates and utensils made sense decades ago when the earth and its resources seemed limitless, but I think it is high time we did away with them. I don't think paper is much better.
Especially for a liveaboard, regular tableware seems like the way to go.
First thing we decided on when we moved aboard was that this was our home and we were not camping, so all the plastic stuff went away and we loaded up some rugged crockery and our flatwear. We also went with glass wine glasses, recognizing we occasionally break one, but they are easily replaced.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.