Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander66 View Post
First thing we decided on when we moved aboard was that this was our home and we were not camping, so all the plastic stuff went away and we loaded up some rugged crockery and our flatwear. We also went with glass wine glasses, recognizing we occasionally break one, but they are easily replaced.
We thought about this but decided to use plastic for a couple of reasons. First of all we sail our boat a lot. Much different scenario if you are simply living at the dock.

- Glass shards are no fun when your foot finds one
- Heavy plates and cookware can damage cabin soles and other surfaces if dropped
- Weight savings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Cal 28 .... I like the look of the Snapware stuff .... we use similar but its Chinese. Snapware looks a lot better quality.

We will simply not use disposable tableware. Cannot condone that in this day and age simply to save on washing up.

TReilly ... agreed re the glass shards but we only use breakable stuff at anchor never when sailing. Our at anchor tableware is also quite lightweight. In reality no less likely to break than the heavier stuff and oh yes to the weight saving. Cookware is more of a problem. I agree with you re damage and weight but the alternative is aluminium and that doesn't impress.

TReilly and others have made the very valuable point that if all you are is a dockside liveaboard then you are in a very different place to those who actually get out there and sail.

While we are not full timers when we are on board we like comfort but otoh no matter how comfortable you make a smallish cruising sailboat there will always be an element of camping about it but what the hell is so wrong with that ?

Dinks14 .... we got our hammock at a camping goods store. People like Cabelas sell them but you'd probably find something less expensive if you look around. From memeory our was around $30.00 and is still going strong after six years. Must admit it doesn't get a lot of use.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-06-2012

JackandJude is on a distinguished road

Hi all, we're new around here, but not so new to living aboard. We completely redid our interior not long ago, building what we thought to be the perfect galley. So important when living on board.

We use only ONE type of plates etc, and its made by corelle, hardened, almost impossible to break. We use bowls when underway, and plates for sit down dinners.

The slots house our dishware, and the counters lift for wider access. Even have water channels around the perimeter to stop spillage getting into the lockers. You can see we went for a SS worktop instead of formica and it is fantastic. Nothing touches it, even clean a fish when the admiral's not looking.

For a fridge, we used a Danfoss sealed unit and built our own SS cabinet that incorporates a eutectic plate. The whole thing is described with photos here. Works like magic for 5 years since rebuild.

See more photos of the rebuild
Dean101 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Old 09-07-2012

Cal28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Cal 28 .... I like the look of the Snapware stuff .... we use similar but its Chinese. Snapware looks a lot better quality.

We will simply not use disposable tableware. Cannot condone that in this day and age simply to save on washing up.
TDW

Regarding the Snapware ... the airtight plastic containers are BPA free and most made in the USA ... although some of the glassware is now sourced in Korea and other Asian countries ... air tight and easy to use (even tho' one must snap several locks around the top) ... many of their sizes are good to stack and use valuable space efficiently ...

as for the use of paperplates ... let's just say that I look forward to the day when this as well as this ... is the norm
Old 09-07-2012

bilkid13 is on a distinguished road

My 2 cents on pressure cookers. My favorite use for them is to store leftovers on top of the stove without refrigeration. You may have doubts but I've done this about 50 times and my DH and I live to tell about it, especially since he had a kidney transplant and is on immune system suppression drugs.

This works for wet cooked items like soups, stews and pot roasts. When done eating, lock down lid and bring back to high pressure. Turn off - do not break the pressure - and leave on top of the stove. Next day bring back to high pressure for a couple minutes and enjoy.

This is not my idea. It comes from Lin Pardy's "Care and Feeding of Crew". She claims one can leave leftovers on top of a stove for up to a week even in the tropics. I've never gone more than a day.
Old 09-07-2012

JackandJude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkid13 View Post
My 2 cents on pressure cookers. My favorite use for them is to store leftovers on top of the stove without refrigeration.
Jude doesn't eat meat and I only occasionally. But to keep me happy she'll "bottle" a few chops or a chicken curry. Or if we catch a big fish like a yellowfin tuna, I'll butcher the beast into preserving jar size, and she'll braze it and add spices and juices, and boil them in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes I think. I'll get the exact routine if anyone's interested. As they cool, the pressure dome lids, tops, whatever they're called, pop down and seal without refrigeration for, a year for sure. I seemed to recall eating bottled chock that was nearly two years old. She store the jars in old socks in the locker to stop them banging in bad weather.

We never run our fridge as a freezer.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Old 09-07-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

Must have - Tervis insulated tumblers. As much as I don't like using plasticware, these are great on the boat for keeping drinks colder longer and conserving the ice.

Nice to have - Sink with dish drainer directly above. Although very uncommon, I've been on a couple of boats that have this setup and it's great since there's not usually enough space to use countertop drainers on a boat.

Don't need - bottled water in single-serve sizes. End up with half empty bottles all over that you don't know who started. Have to deal with disposing all of the empties. Prefer to just pour from larger bottles kept cold in the fridge into tervis or stainless water bottles.
Old 09-07-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Hey, welcome to SN and to living aboard!

A 5 or 6 liter pressure cooker works quite well for 2 people and is super-efficient in both water and power on the boat, (and is very hip ) a good website for learning to use it is here: hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!
Love that site! I use my pressure cooker a lot. If you don't want to put a lot of money in one Aldi the grocery store frequently has a 6 quart one in Stainless Steel. I have a Fagor and like it a lot. Another good source of recipies and tips is:

Pressure Cooker Recipes

Though she does not seem to be updating it anymore. She has some good charts for cooking times.

What cordless immersion blender do you use? All the ones I have read about say they have little power and the batteries don't last long.

Last edited by miatapaul; 09-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Here's our experience, for what it is worth.
1.Our galley is less than 6 square feet, yet we regularly serve 6-8 covers at a time.
We have even done a well recieved thanksgiving dinner. Eating on a boat buys you a whole ton of forgiveness from otherwise picky guests.
2. We don't buy anything from a chandlery. go to your nearest dollar store and buy melamine plates, and non-skid placemats, and a packaged set of flatware. for $20, you should be able to get a dinner service for 6-8, and while it aint;' fancy, the atmosphere more than makes up for it. For a further $75, you can even get a usable set of nesting cookware from any number of online retailers. So, for under $120, you can have a fully outfitted galley, including cheap but serviceable stemware, for those picky guests who don't like to drink their pinot out of solo cups.
(not that there is a difference between "guest" and "crew'- crew will happily drink whatever you have out of whatever you got, while guests are more high maintenance. in other words, crew get invited back, guests get a one-time pass.)

3. Get a crapload of 1/2 pint and 1 pint sealable reusable containers. You will always dice too many onions, too many peppers, too much garlic, etc., save it and reuse, or, if you have the time and forethought to prep, dice extra for meals the next day.
4. We don't use a pressure cooker. we don;t have room for it. if you've got room go for it.
5. Non-pressure alcohol stoves will cook damn near anything, no matter what anyone says. We have used ours for 5 seasons, and have used our PITA Kuuuma BBQ twice.
The key is to keep the alcohol burners topped up- fuel is heat, and heat is your friend. Light the burner, lay on the pan, then let the pan get hot. Go chop cilantro, or more garlic. You can always turn the heat down, but it is damn hard to coax a full pan to get hotter. And nothing has ever been ruined by more cilantro or garlic. except a vamp[re's grand entrance. and dessert.

Filet mignon and asparagus risotto on an alcohol stove? Done it

Pork souvlaki with pan-toasted vietnamese style baguette, fried peppers and onions, tzatziki and hummus? done it.

6. Spices are like sex toys- try 'em you'll like 'em! experiment, have fun, with tarragon, cumin, thyme, rosemary, oregano,, keep a bunch on board. Hell, with the right spice profile, a pouch of ramen noodles and slices of fried bologna in boiling water will make guests swoon.
7. Worcestershire, Siracha sauce, Soya sauce, tabasco, hoisin sauce, maple syrup, oyster sauce, extra virgin olive oil balsamic vinegar and a bottle of yellow mustard don't take up much space but can make damn near any damn sauce or marinade you may require.
8. get at least three pairs of tongs.
9. all of those keychain floaties you get at boat shows? attach them to your tongs. trust me.
10. The money you have saved on flatware, dinnerware, expensive pots and pans, spend on a good set of knives.
That placemat under the plate in your picture? That stuff is great! I bought a roll of that material at Walmart to line the cabinets in my camper with. I used it on my boat to line enclosed shelves. It works great for keeping things from sliding around. I've been living in my camper lately while working at distant jobsites. I was a little worried about my dinnerware clattering around while towing so I cut some of this stuff down into small pads to put between the plates, saucers, and bowls. It keeps it all in place and the pads are not so thick as to make a stack of plates tall enough to fall over with vehicle momentum. I even have a piece in a drawer I use to open sticky jar lids when my hands are greasy!
Old 09-08-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Must have - Tervis insulated tumblers. As much as I don't like using plasticware, these are great on the boat for keeping drinks colder longer and conserving the ice.

Nice to have - Sink with dish drainer directly above. Although very uncommon, I've been on a couple of boats that have this setup and it's great since there's not usually enough space to use countertop drainers on a boat.

Don't need - bottled water in single-serve sizes. End up with half empty bottles all over that you don't know who started. Have to deal with disposing all of the empties. Prefer to just pour from larger bottles kept cold in the fridge into tervis or stainless water bottles.
I'm not a big fan of buying bottled water either but I do find that a few of those bottles come in handy. You can clean and refill them with a beverage of your choice and pack them in a cooler or backpack for daily outings. I use both the small single bottles and sometimes the quart sized Gatorade bottles to carry drinks in my cooler for lunch. Quart and 2-liter plastic bottles filled with water freeze and make a good cold-pack that won't melt into water that ruins a good sandwich. Just use them till they wear out, which for me takes many months of daily use.