Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post

What cordless immersion blender do you use? All the ones I have read about say they have little power and the batteries don't last long.
We're on Year 3 of this one:
Bosch MSM6A60UC Mixxo Cordless Handheld Blender and Chopper,Black/White: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining Bosch MSM6A60UC Mixxo Cordless Handheld Blender and Chopper,Black/White: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Batteries don't seem to be bothered by charging over the inverter, either. In fact, noticing that its on sale, may just buy ourselves a backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Fast .... I keep meaning to ask which water filter do you use ?

Anyone else ? I am sink to death of carting bottles of water for drinking and even though our tanks are particularly clean it doesn't take long for the water to get a dank taste to it.

So on to pressure cookers ..... our new Kuhn Rikon PC arrived last week. Saturday night we went for a test drive. I 'd like to say that modesty forbids me crowing about the result but alas it more embarrasment that should keep me silent.

OK , OK so maybe just maybe it might have made a wee bit of sense to start off with a tried and proven recipe but that wouldn't be very fuzzy of me now would it ? Not as if we went completely overboard, it was fairly simple chicken and vegetable thing. Two basic mistakes .... overcooked it, cut vegetables into pieces to small. End result was absolutely boring chook and mush. What was interesting though was the liquid .... magic, made an absolutely scrumptious soup. Damn that was good.

Anywho if you need any tips on how to totally cockup a chook and fresh veggies let me know.

It all started well, onion, garlic and chilli sweated off in a bit of olive oil and set aside. Brown chicken pieces in same pan, also set aside then the same with the veggies, add the onion/garlic/chilli and the the chook on top. Seal the PC and proceed to ruin the whole thing. I brought the PC up to pressure and then gave it ten minutes. Wrong wrong wrong. Should have just gone for ten minutes in total I guess.

Such it is, will try again next week and this time if all goes well I'll try for a pic. You do not want see t'other .... unless of course giggling at the incompetence of your's truly appeals.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 09-24-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker

I guess I should have added a quick review of the beastie itself.

The model we purchased (see pic in a previous post) is a Kuhn Rikon 2.5qt. Very much a two person job though if you were generous with starters and dessert you could manage four. Nonetheless for us it is the perfect size. Small enough diameter to comfortable sit on two burner range and with no overhanging handle sits quite securely and unlikely to get knocked. Maybe the long handle would be more practical for holding onto. Jury still out on that.

This model has a "waffle" bottom that removes the need to use a trivett. Comes up to pressure with no problems and the release mechanism makes it simple and quick to ease pressure. Overall small size makes cleaning a breeze even in a small boat sink.

Negatives ? Because the cheapest place to buy the thing was the US all the bloody instructions are in American as are the recipes. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to converting to metric in time but I do wish you chappies would catch up with the rest of the civilised world.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Fast .... I keep meaning to ask which water filter do you use ?

Anyone else ? I am sink to death of carting bottles of water for drinking and even though our tanks are particularly clean it doesn't take long for the water to get a dank taste to it.

So on to pressure cookers ..... our new Kuhn Rikon PC arrived last week. Saturday night we went for a test drive. I 'd like to say that modesty forbids me crowing about the result but alas it more embarrasment that should keep me silent.

OK , OK so maybe just maybe it might have made a wee bit of sense to start off with a tried and proven recipe but that wouldn't be very fuzzy of me now would it ? Not as if we went completely overboard, it was fairly simple chicken and vegetable thing. Two basic mistakes .... overcooked it, cut vegetables into pieces to small. End result was absolutely boring chook and mush. What was interesting though was the liquid .... magic, made an absolutely scrumptious soup. Damn that was good.

Anywho if you need any tips on how to totally cockup a chook and fresh veggies let me know.

It all started well, onion, garlic and chillie sweated off in a bit of olive oil and set aside. Brown chicken pieces in same pan, also set aside then the same with the veggies, add the onion/garlic/chilli and the the chook on top. Seal the PC and proceed to ruin the whole thing. I brought the PC up to pressure and then gave it ten minutes. Wrong wrong wrong. Should have just gone for ten minutes in total I guess.

Such it is, will try again next week and this time if all goes well I'll try for a pic. You do not want see t'other .... unless of course giggling at the incompetence of your's truly appeals.
Hmmm... like the sound of that Andrew. May have to put that in my book! No pics? As they say, well, it didn't happen!

In allseriousness, sounds good.

B

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Negatives ? Because the cheapest place to buy the thing was the US all the bloody instructions are in American as are the recipes. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to converting to metric in time but I do wish you chappies would catch up with the rest of the civilised world.
When are you going to learn all the best stuf is in American? Crazy Brits (once removed).

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-24-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
When are you going to learn all the best stuf is in American? Crazy Brits (once removed).

Brian

Hey I'm not going to complain about the prices to be found in the evil empire ..... I just wish you could grow up and get with metrification. I mean after all, you lot invented the freaking dollar but you still weigh and measure in pounds, gallons and ounces. No wonder you are all so bloody confused.

Old 09-24-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

Seagully water filter.....great tasting H2O ! we have it under the sink with a dispenser mounted at the sink.
Old 09-24-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

+ 1 on the Seagull - awesome. Yes, its expensive compared to the basic filter from Home Depot. There's a reason for that ... it's better. Lots.

And, (embarassed) + 1 on metric system. We spent 3 months in Aruba winter before last, and discovered that its a lot easier to double or halve recipes that call for "500 ml" of liquid, than ones that want "2-1/3 cups" of liquid!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 09-24-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Wow ... you are not kidding about more expensive .... would pay for itself fairly smartly though and reduction in waste is good enough incentive by itself.

SeaQuinn say under counter, dispenser at sink ... does that mean separate faucet for filtered water ?

I'm trying to think how often we'd use non filtered water. I guess the only reason to do so would be shortening of filter life and they are not cheap to replace. Other than washing up dishes I cannot see that we'd ever use non filtered. Ergo I doubt a separate faucet would be justified.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm also looking at this ....

Eternity Counter Top & Under Sink Kitchen Water Filter

Old 09-24-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

The replacement filters cost about 98.00 and filter about 1000 gallons ....I think it is a very low micron filter. We use it just for drinking water and I put a bottle of it at the sinks in the heads for brushing teeth. I also put it in bottles in the refrigerator and freezer for cold drinking water. It lasts at least a year.
I like it with it's own faucet so I don't waste it for the water used for dishes, hand washing, showers, cleaning etc.
We fill our water tank with water we filter through a charcoal filter(the whole house kind you can get at the hardware store....to remove chlorine (not good for alum tanks ) we also have a watermaker that makes water and puts it in the tank when in use. All that water is in the same tank but only the drinking water goes to the filter.
The water from the Seagully tastes better than bottled water. oh...I use it for ice cubes too.