Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

The one we have is at the same website....it is the seagull IV

http://www.seagulldistribution.com/c...s/seagull1.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I use Corelle dishes too, they are VERY tough and just seem more civilized than plastic. However, be aware that if you do manage to break a piece of Corelle it won't fracture like tempered glass. Tempered glass will break into more or less rounded polygons, with few sharp points. Corelle will fracture into LOTS of little shards, many of them almost needle-shaped, with LOTS razor-sharp edges.

How do I know this? We have a four-year-old daughter and tile floors in our house --- 'nuff said.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-24-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuinn View Post
The one we have is at the same website....it is the seagull IV

http://www.seagulldistribution.com/c...s/seagull1.jpg

What I find interesting is that they seem to sell both but are heavily pushing the Eternity over the Seagull.

In the main water from the galley is only food prep, drinking and washing up.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-24-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Must haves are ..... Pressure cooker a good non stick frying pan a cast iron pot a very sharp knife with the means to kep it that way. Last but not least the net I made to do the washing up over the side.
My nice to haves that I use are my manual meat grinder and pasta machine for making ...well pasta.
Seagull water filter goes wothout saying.
What i ditched... the micro wave rather had the extra bit of space then the cheats oven
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 09-25-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Must haves are ..... Pressure cooker a good non stick frying pan a cast iron pot a very sharp knife with the means to kep it that way. Last but not least the net I made to do the washing up over the side.
My nice to haves that I use are my manual meat grinder and pasta machine for making ...well pasta.
Seagull water filter goes wothout saying.
What i ditched... the micro wave rather had the extra bit of space then the cheats oven
If you have ceramic cups, you have a way to keep your knives sharp. Some plates work that way too. I hone my knives weekly on the bottom of a cup... been doing that for years, and it works better than a steel.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 09-28-2012

elspru is on a distinguished road

We're planning on living aboard, and are also very health conscious.

Plastic and especially melamine can leech harmful chemicals causing kidney damage, if they are exposed to heat.
So if you do use them, then only use them for cold things, and only wash with cold water.
Risk Evaluation Institute Issues Warning on Melamine : Parentables
Also avoid BPA containing plastic bottles, as the phytoestrogens can disbalance hormones in both men and women.

Corelle is relatively safe as an inert substance.

Though as we are also very environmentally conscious,
we prefer to use biodegradable sustainable dishes,
in our case we use young coconut for bowls and cups.
The also can be handled with hot liquids in them, as husk is insulator.

Young coconuts are usually sold "upside down" in terms that the cone, is actually best as a bottom since it doesn't have natural holes, so we trim off the cone so that the coconut stands flat, and then saw off the flat part to drink the juice and get out the meat.
Depending on if we want to have a cup or a bowl is what decids how much of the flat part we take off, for cups and liquids, just a little bit, and for bowls some more.
when fresh the husk seems large, but we sun dry it, and it gets quite thin.
If it do have excess husk in a cup, then take some off, for a convenient drinking side.

The shape of the coconut cup helps keep liquids in, and the rounded husked bottoms simply roll a bit rather than skid. Can also make a base from the flat top for additional stability.

For utensils we use chopsticks, I simply source sticks from the forest, and make spoons out of clay kilned in a wood fire. Really looking forward to having a woodstove on a boat, to make it more convenient to make pottery. Though since the coconut bowls are almost cups, can simply chop stick the solids, and drink the liquids.

For water we use reverse osmosis, which with a few additional filters can in future work for salt water also.

In the kitchen used to use several knives, but have refined it to just two, one large 5 1/2in and one small 3 1/2 inch survival full tang knives with parachute cord handles, as they are most effective for those hard to cut and peel things like squash. To sharpen I use some flat shale rock I picked up at the side of a river, it's very effective and makes for a sharp smooth finish.

In terms of manual mixing and grinding devices,
we have mortar and pestle, a wooden and a marble one.
Recently we got a manual food processor, which is quite useful also.
Only thing missing is a manual stone mill.

Last edited by elspru; 09-28-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: knives
Old 09-29-2012

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road

The Bears two cents worth

Stainless Steel, high quality, cook ware and silverware, anything else with rust or corode.
Limit your sizes to what you will use on your stove eyes, too big is a waste, harder to store and hinderance when cooking. Presure cooker is a high priority, you can bake in it and make inexpensive food cook and not be leather or wood. Drinking cups with snap on lids, insulated if you can find ones that are not too tall, they don't tip as easy. Sucksion cup, stick on type, cup holders. Tupperware containers assortited sizes, They're great for all kinds of things, food, parts, small pieces and parts, keeping use together tools in one place. Highest quality cutlery with sharping steel. One gal. and 5 gal buckets with strong handels. For washing dishes, clothes, and people. A couple of large, 2 quart, termmose jugs. Will hold water, coffee, tea, soup, hot for hours. A good cutting board with rubber feet, you may have to add these yourself. Baskets that will fit inside your ice chest. Makes things must easzier to get in and out and sort through. Clip board with storage chart, and list of stores and usage. A perminate outline you can see under a paper you can write on really helps finding things you will end up putting where they fit, and then forget where. Small string net hanging baskets , great for fresh fruits and vegtables and roll up small when finished using. Make sure to have at least one narrow shelf with retainer bar or bunge for spices, salt, pepper, etc. in galley. Loose things will slide and roll into places you didn't know existed. Safety belt to keep cook from being thrown around in heavy chop. FIRE BOTTLE in easy reach. Divide your stoage spaces up into small, spaces with rolled up towels, clothing, to keep cans and containers from moving around and getting missplaced and it is much quieter at night or when trying to sleep. So many things you will learn from your experiences with your boat.
Soft breezes and gentle seas.
Bear.
Old 10-08-2012

lauri is on a distinguished road

Ditto on the Correlle, and you can choose something colorful. I keep paper plates and cups on board (I can hear all the sucking of air). But when some of us are sick (sea or otherwise), it makes life bearable.
I was able to find a small pressure cooker... but it's of no use because you need the extra room in a pressure cooker, you can only fill it about half full. Bought a regular size one and cook for two and just deal with the storage issue.
I second the sharp knife, and suggest a knife sharpener as well.
There is a new cookbook available called The Boat Galley Cookbook that is a good read especially for someone just starting their boat galley.
Good luck!

Ralph Ellison
Old 10-10-2012

JackandJude is on a distinguished road

We've used Correlle for tens of thousands of miles and it is both decorative and strong. So far, it's always bounced off our cork tile floors. That's the next recommendation, cork tile floors. Soft underfoot, ours is 6mm thick over ply. Only a few dings in five years live aboard. The worst, I cut a crescent moon around it then filled the resultant void with black Sikaflex. Matches the Southern Cross stars I originally carved into the cork outside the head and filled with Sika as a non slip area. Works great, looks good too.
Next we have a SS work bench with inbuilt sink that will take any punishment. A bit pricey as the plumbers shop had to make it to our specs but fabulous.
And lastly, but most convenient. We use whale gusher foot pumps for both fresh and salt piped to the galley, Salt is great when fresh is in short supply. We piped them both up to hand pumps, the Finsprey ones with lever action. That way we have two ways of pumping water, hand or foot. Plus the foot pumps stop the hand pumps from losing their head, ie pumps first stroke.
Our galley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Old 10-11-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Hey, welcome to SN and to living aboard!

What to bring in your galley is rather individual - how do you like to cook, what do you eat, where will you cruise, all affect your choices.

We use Corelle dishes - just nice enough to not feel like camping, just sturdy enough to get knocked about a bit. Never worried about the nonskid bottoms; in our application, if its bouncy enough to worry about dishes sliding off the table, we're probably not going to be doing a sit-down dinner. Also get deeper bowls than you would normally and only fill them half full (we use the serving bowls instead of the cereal-size shallow bowls) its also likely that the contents are going to slosh a bit. Unbreakable wine glasses or Tervis tumblers.

We have a marine 4-pot nesting cookware set with removable handles, Fagor, that works wonderfully and stows in 1 cubic foot. A 5 or 6 liter pressure cooker works quite well for 2 people and is super-efficient in both water and power on the boat, (and is very hip ) a good website for learning to use it is here: hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips! Collapsible silicon strainer and mixing bowls from Target. A good set of knives and we built a strap to hold them in a locker - they'd get knocked around too much in a drawer. (This was the only gamechanger storage wise. Everything else is just stowed where it won't rattle.)

We pretty much got rid of all electric appliances, ESPECIALLY anything that uses electricity to make heat - very inefficient. For coffee, heat the water on the stove and use a melitta drip or GSI (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/...z_java_drip/); The closest we come to an electric appliance is a battery-operated immersion blender. You don't say whether you'll be living in a marina or on the hook after this first winter; if power will be an issue, like living on the hook, Home - Lehmans.com is an interesting source of non-electric appliances.

Save the containers from anything your family buys regularly to use for storage of dry foods - we have a nice set of widemouth gallon plastic jars from protein powder that now hold all our bulk oatmeal, flour, pasta, etc and smaller ones from specialty rice and dried beans; another friend collects peanut jars from Costco.

You'll think about stowage differently than you would on land. Instead of grouping like things together, like all foods and dishes and pots and pans near the galley, where you would logically think of them; you will now store things based on which locker is very dry and which tends to moisture, or which is below the waterline (nice consistent temperature for your wine) and which above, and the size and shape of the locker, and so on. Don't sweat the "logic" of your system, things will get stored where they make sense to YOU.

Here's something to try while you're still at home. Take everything - every.single.thing - from your kitchen cabinets and put it in the basement. Now, live your normal life. When you need something to cook dinner, go to the basement and get it, use it, and put it away in the cabinets. At the end of a month you'll have a kitchen full of things you actually use, and a basement full of things to give away.

For water, we use a Seagull undercounter water filter and drink directly from the water tanks. For other drinks, I refuse to buy the bulk of canned or bottled drinks, most of which are plain water. We use some kind of juice concentrate or powder like CrystalLight and dilute it ourselves (saves space and weight) and for tonic water or club soda, use a SodaStream machine.

I'm sure Brian (CruisingDad) will be along soon to tell you how wonderful life is with a grill or two on the stern rail.
New address for the pressure cooking website: hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes and tips! (Her previous domain name was stolen; long disreputable story)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: