Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012

dave22q is on a distinguished road
Re: The Galley - Must Haves, Don't Needs & Wish List

depends on size of galley. i agree microwave is marginal but electric convection oven/hot plate is not. glassware is nice but plastic much more practical. bpwls need to be extra deep, cups/mugs extra stable. figure 90% of food prep will be grilled, sauted in fry pan or boiled/simmered. don't forget a good, stable electric coffee pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I don't have the desire to read all the post but I wanted to add a few things if it has not been mentioned already...

Must haves:

- Immersion Blender (provided you have an inverter, or buy a battery powered one) I like the inexpensive ones from Braun for the boat. This is also my favorite gadget
- Cast Iron Skillet, why...if you really intend to sear something properly using a boat stove top, a thin cheap pan will not hold the heat long enough to actually get the proper sear/caramelization, a thick cast iron skillet will hold the heat well, just don't overload the skillet. Light oiling after use of course.
- Knives; chefs, paring, and boning/fillet knives plus a serrated slicer, anything else is just bonus IMO
- Steamer insert, preferably the folding kind, steaming is fast and great for green vegetables or fish
- Pizza Stone, great for cooking pizza or bread on the grill in the summer
- good pair of Tongs
- Cheese Grater, if you use block cheese like Parmesan, I don't care for the pre shredded
- stove top Griddle Pan, cast iron
- Skewers, ,metal or bamboo, whatever your preference
- Pepper Mill, don't go cheap with this
- Wooden Cutting Board, without getting into a big debate, wood is actually safer than plastic, since plastic cutting boards should be cleaned in a dishwasher to be properly sanitized. Wood will dry out/absorb moisture naturally leaving no place for the bacteria to grow, unlike plastic. An occasional wipe down with vinegar if your paranoid

Don't need:
- Wok, boat stoves don't get hot enough, hell even my stove at home doesn't get hot enough

You all may find this funny, but I have only used a pressure cooker once, during a competition...I hate em, but maybe I just haven't given it a chance, but I could see their usefulness aboard, especially at sea LOL

RobGallagher likes this.

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-31-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

OOPS forgot the foot operated saltwater spigot in the sink. Use for prewashing. Easily halves water used in washing up.

N.B. Do not use in early morning in crowded anchorages.
Old 01-01-2013
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I don't have the desire to read all the post but I wanted to add a few things if it has not been mentioned already...

Must haves:

- Immersion Blender (provided you have an inverter, or buy a battery powered one) I like the inexpensive ones from Braun for the boat. This is also my favorite gadget
- Cast Iron Skillet, why...if you really intend to sear something properly using a boat stove top, a thin cheap pan will not hold the heat long enough to actually get the proper sear/caramelization, a thick cast iron skillet will hold the heat well, just don't overload the skillet. Light oiling after use of course.
- Knives; chefs, paring, and boning/fillet knives plus a serrated slicer, anything else is just bonus IMO
- Steamer insert, preferably the folding kind, steaming is fast and great for green vegetables or fish
- Pizza Stone, great for cooking pizza or bread on the grill in the summer
- good pair of Tongs
- Cheese Grater, if you use block cheese like Parmesan, I don't care for the pre shredded
- stove top Griddle Pan, cast iron
- Skewers, ,metal or bamboo, whatever your preference
- Pepper Mill, don't go cheap with this
- Wooden Cutting Board, without getting into a big debate, wood is actually safer than plastic, since plastic cutting boards should be cleaned in a dishwasher to be properly sanitized. Wood will dry out/absorb moisture naturally leaving no place for the bacteria to grow, unlike plastic. An occasional wipe down with vinegar if your paranoid

Don't need:
- Wok, boat stoves don't get hot enough, hell even my stove at home doesn't get hot enough

You all may find this funny, but I have only used a pressure cooker once, during a competition...I hate em, but maybe I just haven't given it a chance, but I could see their usefulness aboard, especially at sea LOL

I was actually curious about how well cast iron would hold up in a marine environment. I would think that rust may be a problem and the skillets would require much more care than normal.
Old 01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
I was actually curious about how well cast iron would hold up in a marine environment. I would think that rust may be a problem and the skillets would require much more care than normal.
nope, just a lite wipe down with vegetable oil and you're good. Several lighhthouses on the bay are cast iron and they have been around for many many years
chef2sail and Dean101 like this.
Old 01-01-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Hey Shawn, happy new year! While you're here, could you comment on the cutting board thing? If ours is plastic, but only used for vegetables, are we okay? Vinegar wipe sounds good?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-01-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
The pan should be well seasoned before storing aboard.

My cast iron pans belonged to my grandmother. I have no idea where she got them, most likely hand me downs or wedding gifts, either way they are at least 70 yrs old. I would have to get them sand blasted before they rusted.
Dean101 likes this.
Old 01-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Hey Shawn, happy new year! While you're here, could you comment on the cutting board thing? If ours is plastic, but only used for vegetables, are we okay? Vinegar wipe sounds good?
Shawn and I disagree about this. Wood cutting boards are not permitted by 98% of the Health departments accross the country. The main reason is the porus nature of the wood which prevents it from become easy to clean and sanitizable. The old way in restauants was to bleach them, but thats not good for the environment either.

Jaye, Just because you use vegeatables on it doesnt mean its not dangerous. In fact some fruits and vegeatbles are the most dangerous items you deal with. Many salaonaella outbreaks have been caused by cross contamination of cutting an underwashed melon on a cutting board, not washing the boad properly because it was a fruit, and then cutting another veggie like cucumbers. The melon may carry fecal material ( it grows on the ground in fields where people who pick them sh.t and the skin can be teaming with microorganisms. Do not get a false sense of security beacuse you are using vegeatbles as the possiblilty of cross contamination is present.

Our wood cutting board on our stove is for decoration only. We have a cheaper, more lightwieght semi plastic one which we throw out every 3 years or so. Its easy to clean.

Proper cleaning of food preparation surfaces requires 3 steps. Wash....rinse...sanitize. Sanitize can either be heat (180 degrees) or chemical We have a spray bottle on board of sanitizer ( usually a quatranary solution).and it is left to air dry not dried off. Vinegar is not a quatranary solition and will retard microorganism growth by ph change, but will not prevent it entirely. The best policy is wash...rinse...sanitize.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Hey Eryka, happy new year to you and Dan as well.

The debate on wooden vs. plastic cutting boards will likely be a personal choice at the end of the day. I did some research on the topic after a student brought it up in class one day. The best scientific proof I could find was a study performed at UC Davis, part of it is linked here: UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research and at the bottom here: Debate Over Wooden or Plastic Cutting Boards Ends Here I did a armature study myself using a black light that we use in our sanitation classes to show students the bacteria left on their hands after washing them. What I found was consistent with what the UC Davis study determined.

From the link below:
The following discussion won't settle all disputes, but this is what I've learned from research and it is therefore the set of guidelines I put into practice for myself. I rarely get sick.

Wood: Trees don't have the same type of circulatory system as mammals have and therefore cannot rush white blood cells (they don't have those either) to the source of an infection as we can. Wood fibers contain antibacterial compounds that help protect trees from infection. Tests done on wood cutting boards (source below) show that bacteria introduced onto the surface in a laboratory is naturally reduced to safe levels after a while. This is true whether the boards are new and smooth or used and scored with knife grooves. Wood, even dead wood, naturally kills bacteria.

Plastic: Plastic cutting boards are safe when new. Cleaning the surface significantly reduces bacteria to safe levels. However, knife grooves in plastic harbor bacteria, which cannot be removed with normal hand washing. When a knife-scored plastic cutting board is mechanically cleaned (in an electric dishwasher), bacteria is reduced to safe levels.

As for plastic boards, unless they are small enough to fit into an automatic dishwasher, and they are cleaned in the machine after every use, they should be avoided. Research has shown that wood is safer.
Product Review - Cutting Boards

One has to be sensible using either. If plastic shows any signs of wear you should replace it, wood should last until it falls apart. Lastly, I prefer using wooden cutting boards with my knives. Another note, I use a few different boards, one for meat & poultry prep, one for cooked food carving, and one for vegetables, all wood. At home (using a dishwasher) and in a commercial kitchen plastic boards make sense.
Old 01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Shawn and I disagree about this. Wood cutting boards are not permitted by 98% of the Health departments accross the country. The main reason is the porus nature of the wood which prevents it from become easy to clean and sanitizable. The old way in restauants was to bleach them, but thats not good for the environment either.

Dave
As Dave says, we disagree on the topic. The porus nature of wood is exactly what makes it safer than plastic. As linked in the articles I posted, even the USDA has changed its guidelines on the use of wood boards. The key is used plastic boards that are scared by knives, allow bacteria to become difficult to remove and/or kill, wood does not and therefore is actually safer for the home cook.

As always, food prep & cooking at home (or boat since we are discussing galley ware) vs. a commercial kitchen setting are very different.

Sorry Dave, provide some scientific evidence that plastic is actually safer than wood and I will listen, until then

Another article on research showing that wood may be the better choice, http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents2008/cutboard-eval.pdf

Last edited by T37Chef; 01-01-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.