SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Phase two of my sailing life: California. Where? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/92137-phase-two-my-sailing-life-california-where.html)

northoceanbeach 09-16-2012 02:55 AM

Phase two of my sailing life: California. Where?

I have lived and learned to sail in Hawaii and now it's time to expand my cruising abilities.

I'd like to buy a boat in California in The next month. I'm a little familiar with California but not the sailing or marina scene there.

Where would you recommend between San Diego and San Francisco that is good to buy a boat and stay aboard while I get it ready. Start coastal or bay day trips and then move up or down the coast?

I'd like a safe place that has availability for not too expensive. And that will let me stay aboard for weeks or months at a time.

The bay area looks promising. A lot of boats for sale, good choices and a lot of marinas. Also I can go out in the bay for a lot of practice. It's a good time of year. But are there slips available? Where would you start looking?

I'm finding boats I like in Craigslist but I dont know which marina is good. I wouldn't want to buy te boat and immediately have to move it. Where is a good place to concentrate my search? And dog friendly.

Thanks for your help. If you need me to be more specific about anything let me know and I will elaborate.

Janurmas 02-28-2013 08:41 AM

Re: Phase two of my sailing life: California. Where?

I think San Diego is good for me. I love the beautiful place and there are many good people there.

overbored 02-28-2013 10:14 AM

If you want windy and cold, wear you jacket sailing then San Francisco bay. for sunny, warm less wind, shirt off sailing then San Diego.

Fstbttms 02-28-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 922668)
The bay area looks promising. A lot of boats for sale, good choices and a lot of marinas. Also I can go out in the bay for a lot of practice. It's a good time of year. But are there slips available? Where would you start looking?

Consider a marina on the Oakland Estuary. Best weather on the Bay, protected water with good breeze, not far from the central Bay. Plenty of marinas to choose from, all have availability. Most marinas (regardless of location) do not allow staying aboard for more than a few days per week. You may need to find a liveaboard slip, which may be harder to come by.

Alameda Marina- Alameda Boat Storage, RV Storage, Commercial Office Space, Alameda Oakland Estuary, California, San Francisco Bay Area - Alameda Marina
Grand Marina- Welcome to Grand Marina : The Bay Area's Premiere Marina Community
Fortman Marina- FORTMAN MARINA
Marina Village- Home - Marina Village Yacht Habor
Oakland Marinas- Almar Marinas