Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

While I cannot accurately comment on what "everyone Knows" I can share my personal experience.
I had a 24' bayliner buccaneer and while it probablly won't win any races it served it's purpose well and had standing headroom,head,stove,and plenty of freeboard.
I now have owned a 1976 Bayliner Buccaneer 320 center cockpit designed by william Gardner and built in Wash.State.
While not a racer (nor am I) It makes a great coastal cruiser and has for the past 4-5 years for myself and my family as we sailup and down the eastern seaboard of the USA between the fingerlakes in upstate NY and this year the keys.
I've logged many miles back and forth from tampa to the fingerlakes.
We are having a send off gathering this afternoon at a marina on the seneca-cayuga canal in Upstate NY and wil be casting off in the next day or so across the NYS canal system to the Hudson then south.
Often the Bayliner is "Talked down" by folks who never owned ,operated ,or sailed one.
For the $1000 I spent on this one , it's been and continues to be an incredible value and immesurable pleasure for us.
Sea-you on the water

JTC and Crew Aboard SV Exposition (Sailing as "No Hurry")
IronSpinnaker likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Regardless of the brand or model power boat you decide on I would be concerned about the drive train, particularly an Outdrive system that was continuously in salt water, fresh water would be OK, at least in my book, but I have had friends who had fairly nice power boats with outdrives that were constantly in salt and over time it became a costly experience.

I realize you intend to be on the hook with little intention of travel but fuel will not be getting cheaper so the comments regarding expense for motoring may not apply to you personally but if your intention is to sell later it could be a concern for others in the future. I always buy with the thought of selling at some point. So if I was going power I probably would go diesel, natural aspirated engine - something I could work on myself, meaning likely a trawler. My 2 cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdi; 10-07-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: editing
Old 10-07-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my comment about Bayliners JTC. When I hear Bayliner I associate it with powerboats. I've been out on a couple of them & this verified what I've have heard about these boats for 30 some years. This is just my opinion & we all know what people say about opinons.

I didn't even know they made a sailboat so there you have it...
Old 10-07-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Why is everybody talking about powerboats? Am I missing something? The OP is talking about a sailboat.
Old 10-07-2012

Mike Banks is on a distinguished road

I have lived aboard a 42 foot trimaran with some home comforts, namely a gas got water system and electric heating and cooling, but I lived on a berth with water and power supplied. It was like living in an apartment at a fraction of the rent and with far better views--and one did not need a car as I could walk to the shops and the pub was within staggering distance. I loved it--especially the bit where I could pull in breakfast while slurping on an evening beer or two--or three----------n.

There were intermittent moments of concern though--when cyclones loom one has to escape to the nearest wooded mangrove lined creek and tie off with nylon warps--and set anchors. Cyclones are the only grit in the Vaseline of an otherwise idyllic existence.

Last edited by Mike Banks; 10-07-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I lived aboard for 10 years and started out with no sailing experience. In the beginning I used the boat as a motor boat and sailed with friends (crew) on fair-weather days. It's not the "right" way to get into sailing, but it worked for me.

My dock neighbor had a bayliner buccaneer sailboat of 28-ish length. I looked at that model also because it seemed to have quite a bit of space for the size and price was low. I'd say they'd be sutable for your needs, but on the other hand, if you really want a comfortable live-aboard and do not have ANY plans of taking it anywhere, a powerboat with dead engines is a great way to go. There are many good powerboats with gas engines that are either dead or dying that people are literally giving away.

The advantages of a power boat for living aboard are many. First, you have MUCH more space. Second, there is almost always standing head room. Third, the big windows help keep the dreary darkness out and make it feel bigger still. Fourth, and my favorite part, you can see out of your windows while sitting down in your living room. This helps keep the "submarine effect" from happening.

Now about the living on the hook thing. Living aboard at the dock is easy and fun. Like I said, I did it for 10 years and could have done it my whole life on a 30 footer if not for what my family wants. Living aboard on the hook is MUCH more difficult. Electricity will be a problem and all live-aboards at anchor around here use generators. You will be constantly lugging gas, water, food, trash etc in your dinghy. Heating your boat will be a problem. Whatever you heat with with (diesel, propane, wood) will have to be ferried back and fourth. In the fall and winter the wind and waves really pick up and your ride to work and back home will be wet wet wet and very cold.

Where are you planning to anchor anyway? Chuckanut bay has some perminant residents but you have to check out where you would be motoring your dinghy to and if you can park a car where you will be motoring to. Also, it'll get REALLY windy and rocky at anchor around here in the fall/winter.

At the dock you can use electric heat and the boat is toasty all the time. You can have WiFi, marina showers and laundry etc. Bringing a girl back home to the boat for a sundown drink (and hopefully more) is much easier if you're on the dock than if it involves a dinghy ride in the wind/rain as well...

Here are a few cheap power boats that would make awesome live-aboards. Some even have functioning engines. Check out the second one, it's always a good thing when the broker says "Owner says make it go away." I bet you could pick that one up for 6K and it has functioning engines and looks good.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=77352&url=
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1438&url=
1964 Tolly Craft 27 Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1972 Trojan 30 Flybridge Express Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-07-2012
Closet Powerboater

Oops! That third link was for a wooden boat.

Dont

go

there

You do not want to be living on the hook on a wooden boat. \

The first link looks like you could pick it up for 4-5K and it looks like it has working engines as well. It's in Everett, which wouldn't be a terrible delivery to Bellingham.

MedSailor (recovering wooden boat owner)

Old 10-07-2012
S/V Second Chance

CaptMikey is on a distinguished road

if the price is right, go for it. i have one and i have no problems. if you are conservative and can plan well, storage is ample. single handed sailing is easy for this boat. take the ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing course. headroom is tight. i am 6ft. i leave the hatch open
in the summer and have plenty of room. in the winter either get a canopy or get used to stooping over. if you want to spend the money you can raise the overhead a few inches.
as you get used to it, you'll get a better idea on how to improve upon it. good luck and good sailing.
Old 10-07-2012

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road

Hi there...I am happy to say that I do love living on our boat...26 foot Westerly and there are three of us a BIG dog and a squirrel...ha ha! so how about that?
Old 10-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiigirl View Post
Hi there...I am happy to say that I do love living on our boat...26 foot Westerly and there are three of us a BIG dog and a squirrel...ha ha! so how about that?
Awesome! Glad you love the life afloat.

Might I assume you're in sunny Hawaii??

Also, are you at the dock or at anchor?

MedSailor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.