Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

25' Bayliner? Well, you'll be camping out for the winter for sure, but since you're in the backpacking stage that's probably an acceptable gamble for you. Worst comes to worse, you move on, haul the boat and sell it in the spring. Hopefully after some TLF makes it worth a bit more. Go for it, you'll either love it or hate it and either way have an experience while you've still got little to lose.
MedSailor likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

bayliner may suck in seas but they make great living aboard boats--just dont go into weather--is a fair day boat in a protected harbor. is still a fun boat, but they do have limitations. power b oats of 25 ft are a lot roomier than sailboats of 25 ft--enjoy your new life.
as long as the boat runs for emergencies, and floats and systems function, is a good living boat.
welcome to sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Sidney, if he's talking about a 25' Bayliner sailboat, as he seems to be, there's no way he can heat it, or shower on it, or use a real head like someone on a $50,000 boat can.

Simply put, on a 25' sailboat you've got terribly limited room for anything and you'll be using a camping stove and a portapotty and usually remembering not to stand up all the way lest you bump your head.

Which is not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, but living on a boat that small is going to be more like living in a pup tent than in a 20-man military field tent. Having a dock slip and a real bathroom nearby will make it a lot simpler than bringing the portapotty ashore every day on the way to work. :-)
Old 10-08-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Add lots of insulation, and a good heat source.
Old 10-08-2012

Mike Banks is on a distinguished road

Any heat source needs to be chosen carefully. If the flame is not enclosed it will probably produce carbon monoxide gas--odourless and very deadly. Any heater used at an anchorage has to have its own air source and its own outlet for flue gasses. These must not have access to the cabin air. This rules out camping stoves, drip fed diesel stoves and if one wishes to burn wood, charcoal or coke or coal then a proper closed system slow combustion stove with its own inlet and outlet should be used.

My own preference is to have ceramic electric fan heaters. A 2kw gen set outside in a vented weatherproof deck locker will run a 1 kw ceramic fan heater which will keep the boat warm on the occasions one is away from power, and if the boat is a large one a diesel gen set in the engine room will run more heaters. The exhaust from the gen sets is easily flued through a permanent exhaust system, all that comes inside are the power wires. The only disadvantage to gen-sets is they are not silent, although they are not particularly noisy. I can sleep through them--but that hum could be a problem for some. Using mains voltages allows the use of cheap domestic appliances--much cheaper than the marine variety. I throw them away when they fail, usually after a couple of years constant use. Three silent oscillating fans can be bought for the price of one noisy 12 volt dc fan of far less power, and when heat is no longer required, ac fans run OK through an inverter..

On another topic--I think anything less than 30 feet is just too small for living aboard. One needs a bit of room to stretch out in and if one becomes two anything smaller will just not do.

Last edited by Mike Banks; 10-08-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-08-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sidney, if he's talking about a 25' Bayliner sailboat, as he seems to be, there's no way he can heat it, or shower on it, or use a real head like someone on a $50,000 boat can.

Simply put, on a 25' sailboat you've got terribly limited room for anything and you'll be using a camping stove and a portapotty and usually remembering not to stand up all the way lest you bump your head.

Which is not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, but living on a boat that small is going to be more like living in a pup tent than in a 20-man military field tent. Having a dock slip and a real bathroom nearby will make it a lot simpler than bringing the portapotty ashore every day on the way to work. :-)
Yes the 25 foot Bayliner besides just not being a very good sailboat, has lots of rooms and none of them are very spacious. I can't imagine a grown adult using the portapotty. There is a reason they are normally around $1000. There is one by me that has been for sale for years(I think at least 5 or 6), and the guy can't give it away. It is not in that bad of shape either.
Old 10-08-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Zeehag- just curious ,why would you not take a Buccaneer to weather ? I've had a couple of then and have pounded them to weather for days coastal w/out any issues.

Miatapaul-Hey that buccaneer woudn't be the one I see on craigs for @000 woud it? I think itls sitting in point charles on the hudson River ?? If it is , I was told A guy sailed/motored it in there and tossed the marina the keys and left it there !! Apparently he dreamed of sailing far and wide but after a week or two, reality got the best of him and he went back to land- Ha!

I know the Buccaneers are not the best -to windward boats- but they make great coastal saiors, roomy good headroom and the price is right.
a for the porta-potty, if you can use a bucket, you can use a porta.
As far as the shower goes , we have 2 heads on our Buccaneer 320 one has a shower and we rarely use it, opting to use the shower bag on deck or in the enclosed cockpit.

Buccs' forever !!
Old 10-09-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I have used an airtight wood stove for most of the last 40 years. Wouldn't consider anything else.
Dont let the "Vigilantes of conformity" disuade you.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 10-09-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Zeehag- just curious ,why would you not take a Buccaneer to weather ? I've had a couple of then and have pounded them to weather for days coastal w/out any issues.

Miatapaul-Hey that buccaneer woudn't be the one I see on craigs for @000 woud it? I think itls sitting in point charles on the hudson River ?? If it is , I was told A guy sailed/motored it in there and tossed the marina the keys and left it there !! Apparently he dreamed of sailing far and wide but after a week or two, reality got the best of him and he went back to land- Ha!

I know the Buccaneers are not the best -to windward boats- but they make great coastal saiors, roomy good headroom and the price is right.
a for the porta-potty, if you can use a bucket, you can use a porta.
As far as the shower goes , we have 2 heads on our Buccaneer 320 one has a shower and we rarely use it, opting to use the shower bag on deck or in the enclosed cockpit.

Buccs' forever !!
when op said bayliner, thunk it was a power boat....buccaneer has some strength--but the ones i see living in mexico--i have seen 2 of em here on pacific side--looked beat to hell--if the boat looked that bad after a pacific coastal hop of 2000 or so miles, what did the people look like when they finished that trip.......i also was able to get to inside the 25 and the 27--these arent only boats i would not take out in weather--weather being 20+ kts, seas, etc....i have been aboard others i would never dream of taking out into seas and weather.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-09-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
To mpaul. Please get the correct info. I can't guess the reasons for your negativity. I have finished with this, so please don't persue me,but if you want to I'll give you plenty more info. I can only hope the original poster continues with his plans. Gary Mull designed the boat. Please see BUCCANEER 250 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
( for starters)
I guess some people with a very large and expensive BOAT may not like to be told that a PERSON with a small boat CAN EAT,SLEEP,COOK,HEAT AND TAKE A CRAP just as well on a small boat. And stand up ! We are talking about liveaboard, not .......
Maybe some people have never heated a boat so they just don't know how. Maybe some people just want to agitate and argue as a pastime.
Perhaps my post came off as being a bit more negative than it should have. It has NOTHING to do with cost, you seem to be obsessed with. In today's market you can pick up boats for nothing (usually come with their own issues) to almost nothing. I have seen nice 30 foot boats going for $1000. A friends dad just sold his very good condition Catalina 30 for $2200, I mean sail away that day good he just got tired of tire kickers as the boat was a 4 hour drive away. I looked at a Conyplex Contest 30 that was a bit ugly but had usable sails and a working diesel motor for $1000. I got out bid on a really nice Newport 30 that had good sails and in overall good condition for $2300. I was trying to bid via my cell phone, and lost connection and the auction ended. On the Buccaneer 250 all your are going to have is a small camp stove, so no you can't cook as well as you can in a boat designed to have people stay on for longer with a proper oven. How much water will it hold? How big is the holding tank? I don't think you are going to be able to crap many times without having a pump out, unless you are going to direct discharge and that is against the law. The Buccaneer 250 was designed as a day sailor, and to be taken out on the odd overnight. There is limited storage limited tankage. And to be anchored on the open water in that light of a boat is going to be quite uncomfortable for days at a time. There are lots of other boats that would be more suited to this. Many of them can be found at low prices including the power boats listed. Where are you going to store stuff on a Buccaneer? I looked at your link, and yes it reminded of the one I did see, no storage, almost no tankage fresh or waste and light weight construction. How is he going to hold enough chain, rode and good sized anchor to hold the boat full time on the hook in the North West? The Conyplex I looked at had tons of storage and a functioning galley. Same with the Catalina, Newport, Columbia, Albin Vega, and others I have looked at. No reason to rough it more than you need to. There are lots of small boats good for living aboard, the Buccaneer is not one I would choose due to above issues. Do you live on the hook on your Buccaneer?