Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

Quote:
Do you live on the hook on your Buccaneer?
Yes, I am on it right now typing on this keyboard . Along w/ my wife,daughter and cat . We had 4 dogs on previous trips (they have since passed away fron old age)
as to the oven , I've got an origo oven and stove an isotherm frigde, a splendide vented washer dryer, 3000watt gen, diesel kubota inboard,over 100 gallon fresh water, 2 heads one msd one porta in case the other fails,Had a 5cu ft. freezer but it broke so I took it out to repair it, and I've got a Katydin 40E watermaker I've been meaning to instal, but actually I'd probably never use it where I cruise.
per the storage issue- 32'X10' is the same volume regardless of who measures it out. Storage is just wise packing.
Believe me the other half and daughter don't leave much behind. One year my daughter had a barbie diamond castle in her cabin and the next year she brought the barbie cruise boat !
and yes light displacement is alot less comfy than a 20 tonner. but we manage nicely and don't mind the shoal 3.5' draft or the short 46' stick. Get to go more interesting places larger draft never will.
as per sea kindliness, the Buccaneer can put up with alot more than I care to, so I pick my weather.
As I said b4 we've been sailing up and down the east cost seasonaly since 2006 inside and outside with no issues.

Bucc's forever- or at least till I find something else inexpensively.
I've seen the 320's sell for as high as $18000.00 to as low as the $1000 I paid for te one I have now.
If cost wasn't an issue I think I'd get a Gulfstar 40-50' the're floating motorhomes as well !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Yes, I am on it right now typing on this keyboard . Along w/ my wife,daughter and cat . We had 4 dogs on previous trips (they have since passed away fron old age)
as to the oven , I've got an origo oven and stove an isotherm frigde, a splendide vented washer dryer, 3000watt gen, diesel kubota inboard,over 100 gallon fresh water, 2 heads one msd one porta in case the other fails,Had a 5cu ft. freezer but it broke so I took it out to repair it, and I've got a Katydin 40E watermaker I've been meaning to instal, but actually I'd probably never use it where I cruise.
per the storage issue- 32'X10' is the same volume regardless of who measures it out. Storage is just wise packing.
Believe me the other half and daughter don't leave much behind. One year my daughter had a barbie diamond castle in her cabin and the next year she brought the barbie cruise boat !
and yes light displacement is alot less comfy than a 20 tonner. but we manage nicely and don't mind the shoal 3.5' draft or the short 46' stick. Get to go more interesting places larger draft never will.
as per sea kindliness, the Buccaneer can put up with alot more than I care to, so I pick my weather.
As I said b4 we've been sailing up and down the east cost seasonaly since 2006 inside and outside with no issues.

Bucc's forever- or at least till I find something else inexpensively.
I've seen the 320's sell for as high as $18000.00 to as low as the $1000 I paid for te one I have now.
If cost wasn't an issue I think I'd get a Gulfstar 40-50' the're floating motorhomes as well !
OK but that is not the 25 foot Bucc that is being discussed here. The 320 is a lot bigger for sure about 4 times the displacement, and is a center cockpit meant for coastal cruising. I don't think anyone would consider a 32 foot boat too small to live on, especially one with raised decks and center cockpit. Though 4 dogs might push the limit!

The Bucc 25 is not going to be able to have a stove with oven, refrigerator, washer/dryer or generator. Well they might be able to put a portable generator in a lazerette and bring it on deck and run it when not raining too hard in the north west. (does it ever not rain there?)

And no storage is not just square footage, well actually cubic footage. Some boats are designed with lots of storage. They have built in storage and room in the keel for storage, day sailors don't. You don't want to wind up with a bunch of plastic bins you have to move around constantly. The OP is also talking about full time living in the North West so winter clothes is a must, as is good 12 volt or non electric heat. The Bucc 250 is a day sailor. I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help the OP (who does not seem to have returned by the way) make a more informed decision. Yes you can live in a one man tent, but if it costs not much more why not get a 4 man, so you can have a guest over if you want. And maybe even 4 dogs!

Your out there and doing it and that is great! I hope you remain safe and enjoy the great trip that life is!

I would not want a Gulfstar 40-50 ft, I think I could get a much better boat for less money for my plans. While I want something comfortable and seaworthy, more important is sailing ability, especially for light airs.
Old 10-09-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

I had a bucc 240 when I was single as well as when it was just the two of us. worked out fine. had a oven,stove,head ,refrig ,etc. standing headroom 6' sailed fine soal draft and a9.9 outboard elec start and solar. I've always heated w/ wood it's priced affordably.
I miss that bucc 240. I built a dual axle railor for it I could launch and retrieve it at a boat slip w/ a 1/2 ton truck and it rocked. I just got a larger crew and ten foot-itis.
now I GOTTA go to a yard to haul.
I'd get another 240 in a minute if I got rid of the 320 it would be alot cheaper to use as well as maintain and store when not in use.
many of my cruising pals are going tralerable for the same reasons, pocket cruisers.
if you want lite air performance raise more sail area. or sail a light boat, like a bucc.
Old 10-13-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

A Buccaneer 25 is NOT the same as a Bucc 240- it is a whole different kettle of fish. while a bucc 240 is not pretty, joethecobbler is right- they have decent room. The buccaneer 25/US Yachts 25 is a racer/cruiser- no standing headroom, very small holding tank, cramped v-berth, minimal galley, small salon. NOT a liveaboard-friendly boat.
Bayliner 240:

Bayliner 25/250:

Bayliner 25s make great donorboats.
miatapaul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when op said bayliner, thunk it was a power boat.(snip)
I thought power boat, too. And after reading the OP's (ONLY) post again, I still think he might be. He certainly never says he's definitively that he's looking at a sailboat.
Old 10-13-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1917 View Post
I have no sailing experience....

My question is if a bayliner is a good option to go with on a live aboard since I have no exp in sailing and to be honest dont really want to go there just yet.
I'm pretty sure he was asking about a sailboat. I've tried to talk him into a powerboat but he posted on a sailing forum and starts off saying he has no sailing experience, and would it be okay to get this bayliner considering he has no sailing experience.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

In 40 years of living aboard, I've never had an oven ,nor refrigeration, and never missed neither one. I once stayed a couple of years in a housekeeping room which had both. Never used niether one. I have only had a generator on board for two years out of 40. Can't be bothered replacing it. It's not worth the space it takes up.
Don't get addicted to such contraptions. You dont need them.
Old 10-18-2012

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road

Actually sorta sunny Florida...ha ha!