SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/92506-considering-doing-live-aboard-need-advise.html)

MikeB1917 09-27-2012 08:47 PM

Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

I have no sailing experience, but I have worked on a fishing boat a few times and can operate a all motor boat, I have been looking at a 25' Bayliner in decent condition, needs a little work but nothing serious. Some sanding here, some fine touch there just picky work. I have no furniture and am pretty much in the 'backpack' state of my life. I am working for the family business of boat refurbish and repair so I have a increasing skill set and can learn if I dont know something. My question is if a bayliner is a good option to go with on a live aboard since I have no exp in sailing and to be honest dont really want to go there just yet. I wouldn't be doing much travel, as much as I would just anchor it out and dingy in to work and back. Just looking for thoughts advise and knowledge. Thanks in advance.

PeterSailer 09-27-2012 09:13 PM

Re: Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

You should probably get your self a sailboat with standing head room, this makes living aboard much easier.

Pierre

tdw 09-27-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB1917 (Post 927390)
snippy I have no furniture and am pretty much in the 'backpack' state of my life. snippy

Gee you would want to be. I tried to live on a (small) 28'er way back when and it beat me. To do it in a 25'er and on a mooring ... hard ask.

I'm making a clear distinction here between 'liveaboard' and 'full time cruising'.

Cruiser2B 09-27-2012 11:08 PM

Theres a guy in our marina on a Bayliner 27 power boat. Seems to have lots of room. I have never been onboard but chatting with him at the dock and looking inside it seems spacious and has standing room.

As far as living at anchor...sure! Get plenty of solar and a good dingy....and good ground tackle! Since you plan to dinghy in and out, water and supplies should be able to be had when needed.

Seems like quite a nice plan!

sww914 09-28-2012 01:00 AM

Make sure you have a good heater, winter's coming.

misfits 09-28-2012 07:30 AM

There's more interior & usable exterior room on a power boat than a sailboat of the same length. Power boats are wider & if you look at a convertible style boat with a flybridge you'll have yourself a nice place to live.

Not so sure about the being anchored out part. A lot can happen while your away at work. A mooring would be more secure.

AdrenalineJunkie 09-28-2012 11:26 AM

While it is always potentially dangerous or impolite to make comments about a particular brand of boat, just be sure to thoroughly check out the reputation of Bayliner especially regarding construction and resale value. Living on any boat can be either inexpensive and a lot of fun or the complete opposite. If I were planning to live on an older Bayliner on a budget, I would be prepared to give it away when I was done living on it and amortize that expense (loss of acquisition funds) against the cost of an apartment, even after spending time and money on upgrades but the same can be said for many older boats. You will definitely have far more room per linear foot on a powerboat than a sailboat, but if a sailboat has a decent propulsion system it will be far less costly to motor around in and you would have the opportunity to learn about sailing as well. Consider that you can find a 1960's Pearson Triton 28 in decent shape with lots of upgrades and maybe even a diesel for $5 or 6K, a boat that someone will always be interested in trying to fix up no matter what shape it is in. Your friends would have no idea it is 45 years old. Good luck trying to find a decent 25 foot diesel powerboat for that cost! Also remember that even a tippy little hard dink will cost $400 and another $100 for oars, $200 for a couple of decent batteries, a little money for a DIY composting toilet, $500 for a simple solar setup and there are a few other start up costs to prepare for. It's going to be $65 for a drypack bookbag to carry your computer when on the dink in case you tip it over! This stuff adds up but OTOH you can be completely independent and off the grid for the price of a very cheap 150,000 mile used car, which is a good feeling.

ebs001 09-30-2012 09:12 PM

Smallish power boats were never really meant as live aboards. They have an electric/alcohol stove which is next to useless, no counter space and usually a small icebox not a proper reefer. They don't have a proper battery set up nor bathroom facilities for a liveaboard. These boats were designed to go from marina to marina on weekends or to raft up with a bunch of friends and get pie. Just a bad idea in my estimation

Tenoch 10-03-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebs001 (Post 928288)
They have an electric/alcohol stove which is next to useless, no counter space and usually a small icebox not a proper reefer. They don't have a proper battery set up nor bathroom facilities for a liveaboard. These boats were designed to go from marina to marina on weekends or to raft up with a bunch of friends and get pie. Just a bad idea in my estimation

Hmm I have no counter space, an alcohol stove, a small ice-box, no reefer, no shower...and absolutely love living aboard. And I have a MUCH smaller space than a powerboat of the same length. I do live in a marina though. I guess it all depends on how much discomfort you can bear. (granted I know absolutely nothing about power boats). :o

misfits 10-06-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunkie (Post 927613)
While it is always potentially dangerous or impolite to make comments about a particular brand of boat, just be sure to thoroughly check out the reputation of Bayliner

I wouldn't consider it dangerous or impolite, everyone knows that Bayliners suck.....