Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Experiences with Tricare while cruising?

VA iseverywhere inside usa. outside usa--you fly home, from what i have seen of my veteran friends needing healthcare. or va will pay for treatment in a hospital where you urgently need care.

i dont get sick. i am disabled with an underlying condition--but i do not get SICK--just more impaired.. but i dont use medical facilities loosely--as an rn i am very stingy with my spending on healthcare. usa is taking 100 dollars from me for medicare, as useless to me as anything not used, and i do not have other insurance, nor will i support a lobby(ins) which is based solely on scamming the people i into thinking they are safe because they sold em insurance--insurance is a scam. money for nothing.
what do people get out of insurance?? being told where NOT to sail and when not to sail there--outside of common sense, one needs not to be TOLD where to go in life. among other deficiencies as not allowing the proper care for an individual as the treatment is not covered by the particular insurance you have purchased??--what worth is this alleged insurance --is scam.
i am not only one thinking along these lines. insurance scam is why usa pays up nose for health care delivery.
i find much less expense in treatment in other countries. pay cash and not pay much. good systems. good luck.

from what i have seen and known of vets under va heathcare--if urgently ill, the va , if you are within a certain distance for a va hospital will pay for treatment in other hospitals. where you fall out they will have ye treated.

retirees are qualified for va program and are eligible to receive even when on ssdi or ssi.
for procedures such as replacements of joints--hip and knees --one goes to va, gets workup done then makes arrangements for this procedure at a later date.

doesnt matter where you choose to live, as long as usps delivers to there--which includes mexico and many other places expats want to reside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 10-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

Retired MILITARY with a pension.

Not retired as in over 65 and on soc sec.
Old 11-29-2012

LoboPops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Retiree's don't get to use the VA as far as I know.
I'm retired Navy and use the VA here in Houston. I, also, have TRICARE for a backup but the VA has been sensational here.

I've been wondering what to do when I get a boat and start cruising now that they have got most of my health issues under control.
Old 11-30-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboPops View Post
I'm retired Navy and use the VA here in Houston. I, also, have TRICARE for a backup but the VA has been sensational here.

I've been wondering what to do when I get a boat and start cruising now that they have got most of my health issues under control.
It is my understanding that if you have a Service Connected disability and you are out of the U.S. then a Veteran would contact the U.S. Embassy and they would have information regarding local health care. However I would also appreciate actual experience from anyone who has sought health care out of the U.S. with the LoboPops question.