Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
It's funny how long that stuff will stay with you. 30 odd years later, I am still uncomfortable with my hands in my pants pockets!
young impressionable mind + polished brain washing techniques = good soldiers willing to die on command and without hesitation.

resist, resist .. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
young impressionable mind + polished brain washing techniques = good soldiers willing to die on command and without hesitation.

resist, resist .. .
That's far from true. The most grizzly ground pounder I've ever known was still unwilling to die. Perhaps they accept they might. Patton said it best, it's better that your enemy dies for their country (paraphrased).

The reason I mentioned military training was only to point out that all education levels, backgrounds, intellects, genders, races, religions, etc, are taught and can learn good hygiene and organization. There was some reference above that it was beyond some people. I fully disagree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-17-2012
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road

In San Diego, I think there are only two spots where you can anchor for free. These are restricted to a night or two, I believe, and you're supposed to get a permit from the Harbor Police. Not really an option for living aboard.

There are several mooring areas, with balls, all around the bay. The same company owns all of them. Some of these are in really excellent locations around the city. They are cheap, too. Only $125 to $150 per month. Unfortunately, there is a ten to fifteen year waiting list to get on one. Most of these boats on them are absolute wrecks that I can't believe even float, and they are not very nice to look at. Apparently, there are no requirements or standards to meet in order keep one of those moorings. It's a shame. I assume people live on some of them, since there are messy signs of life on board and a few with cats. I guess if you got your hands on one of these moorings and something that looks like it used to be a boat, this would be the cheapest way to live in San Diego.

My favorite place to tie up is at the bars that have guest docks right in front, but they won't let me live there...
Old 10-17-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

That is why I ,and many cruisers, do a several hundred mile detour around San Diego. Most who stop there, curse the wretched place from that time on.
Old 10-18-2012
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
That is why I ,and many cruisers, do a several hundred mile detour around San Diego. Most who stop there, curse the wretched place from that time on.
Haha. I don't know if dreadful is the right word, but I'm sure there are better places for cruising. I think it's great, but I live here.
Old 10-18-2012

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road

We are former RV people...we traveled for years...I remember going to one RV park that had a nice pool...lured you in but really did not want you to us it....that is the way the city marina was in Fernandina...a real uppity attitude and for what reason I have no clue...it was near a paper mill that stunk...the marsh was stinky...homeless people were hanging around...there was no security...unruly children skateboarded and road their bicycles on the dock...the $200 extra to chase us off was GREAT...we have found a much much nicer place...come to find out Accounting found they could making MORE money off of transients...so it was definitely a money thing...no different than RV parks...when it is busy season they do not want you...when it is slow season they LOVE you...ha ha!
Old 10-19-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
In San Diego, I think there are only two spots where you can anchor for free. These are restricted to a night or two, I believe, and you're supposed to get a permit from the Harbor Police. Not really an option for living aboard.

There are several mooring areas, with balls, all around the bay. The same company owns all of them. Some of these are in really excellent locations around the city. They are cheap, too. Only $125 to $150 per month. Unfortunately, there is a ten to fifteen year waiting list to get on one. Most of these boats on them are absolute wrecks that I can't believe even float, and they are not very nice to look at. Apparently, there are no requirements or standards to meet in order keep one of those moorings. It's a shame. I assume people live on some of them, since there are messy signs of life on board and a few with cats. I guess if you got your hands on one of these moorings and something that looks like it used to be a boat, this would be the cheapest way to live in San Diego.

My favorite place to tie up is at the bars that have guest docks right in front, but they won't let me live there...
These are the type of moorings I was referring to when I was asking about living aboard on a mooring. I kinda figured that there are these types, possibly owned by marinas, to be found about anywhere. When marinas move boats to moorings during storm conditions wouldn't they need to own the moorings in order to do that?

Keeping on topic with the OP, I get a picture based on all the comments so far that any opposition stems from derelict and/or trashy boats presenting an eyesore. That reasoning, at least to me, seems more like a symptom rather than a cause. I admit that I only have experience with 2 marinas but both presented me with a set of rules to follow that included statements that said my boat must be kept in a sightly manner (I'm paraphrasing here). Both were quite specific on what was and was not allowed to be kept on the docks. If people allow their boat to fall into such a state, and I acknowledge the difference between dusty/dirty from less than frequent visits from owners and filthy/trashy from abandoned or uncaring owners, then it would fall to marina management to enforce the rules they establish. It really gives the appearance of business's being frustrated from their own inaction and trying to avoid the situation entirely rather than having to face the unpleasant task of telling someone to clean up their mess or get out. Some on this forum may own or manage a marina so chime in on this. Is this the case? Is it difficult to impossible to actually get rid of these derelict boats? Are there no laws that address these types of problems or is it a matter that nobody wants to enforce them? I really don't see why living aboard at any marina has to be a problem other than the envy from non-boaters which was mentioned by another poster, in which case I think that it would be a form of discrimination.

Last edited by Dean101; 10-19-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling and additional comment
Old 10-19-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post

when i left san diego -- i had 2 boats on moorings in coronado, and many friends in other mooring fields, some of them have just returned from years of full time cruising. there are very few derelict looking boats in san diego--the unfortunate thing is , the derelicts are moored right out in front of everyone walking by--so those are what you see when you think moorings in san diego--these derelicts are the former anchor outs from anchorage 8. the were relocated to down town.... go figger.
there is no reason to denigrate the moored boats--other than those few derelicts--there were 20 brought to north bay when that free anchorage was closed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-21-2012
Custom User Title

I'm not saying all. I'm sure some of them are in fine shape, I just haven't seen them. You're right, though, the worst of them seem to be right along the sidewalk around the bay. Or at least, they look like the worst because you can see them so closely. However, I sail all over the bay, although I don't often go inward of the bridge, and there are many floating wrecks in the other mooring areas as well.

Maybe it's just those nasty ones that stick out in my memory...

If those were brought over from the free anchorage that closed, who is paying the mooring fees?
Old 10-21-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

the relocated anchorage dwellers are paying their own 130ish usdollars every month. every boat in the other moorings is mobile, and every year each boat on a mooring is mandated to under go vsc...at the dock in laurel street.

those nasty ones stick in everyone's memories--gives the rest a bad name.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 10-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.