Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
wing-
" haven't you just taken public property and converted it to your own private benefit.? "
Not at all, not here in the US. While it is possible to "convert" someone else's property to your own, legally, in most or all states, it is not possible to take and convert sovereign property. So first of all, if you are dealing with public property, you can't take it and convert it. (G)
Many of the anchorages on the US east coast have been "converted" by locals installing moorings making anchoring almost impossible. They then charge cruisers for use of those moorings. I think I'd tend to call that "conversion". Have you tried anchoring in front of Beaufort NC lately ?
Old 10-21-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

on west coast, the local municipalities are only taking over federal anchorages and closing them by severe restriction and permits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road

I'm part of a small group that owns 3 homes here in the California Delta.. two of those homes have their own docks and Liveaboards are strictly forbidden.. And we live on our boat.. we do allow friends to visit with their boat but only for a max of two weeks..
we've found that anytime a liveaboard is allowed, we have issues we dont want to deal with..
one major issue is the build up of items on the dock, from dock boxes to bicycles and if not left at the dock, are at the enterance to the dock..
and people, its not as much the people that live there but the people that visit and those they bring with them.
A year or so ago, we had leased out the house to one couple and the dock to another..
they have a nice boat, clean, respectable, and had insurance.. shortly after they moved in, their little chairs and a table appeared on the dock, bicycles, and a dock box.. then you would see a large folding table on the dock with his tools out when he was working on the boat. and then I stopped in one dfay, he had his car up on jackstands and was working under it.. when I asked him what he was doing, he said he was replacing the starter..
and he go pissed off when I brought it to his attention that he wasnt to do that there..
and further upset when I asked him to clear the docks of his stuff..
now people ask me why I dont allow liveaboards...
Its because your boat is your home, and everything you would be doing in and around your home, you are now doing in and around your boat.. from working on your car to storing you bikes..
and again we live on our boat,
the fact is, I would not rent our dock to someone like myself.. next to my steps are an old battery I need to get rid of, two propane tanks, and a powerwasher.. and my bicycles.. theses are things I wouldnt allow On my own dock..
and I think the biggest issue... I dont even want to confront anyone about the crap left on the dock..
so at the home we own, we've found it easier to lease the dock to someone who only visits the dock on weekends.. and they know that if anything is on the docks over the weekend, its cleaned up on sunday when they leave..
Old 10-22-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Randy, you bascially make no point relevant to liveaboards and boats. Except to say that a home is a home, and if someone has to abide by terms dictated by their landlord or their HOA or some other party who restricts the resident's rights--then there can be conflicts.

No working on the starter? No picnic table? Gee, most MOAs won't let you put up a clothesline to dry your laundry, either.

The boat has got nothing to do with it. You just want to rent your property on your own terms, and as the owner, you're entitled to do that. I hope you pick your house tenants better than your dock tenants though, because you never know when some unreasonable sneaky tenant is going to do some damn fool thing that hang up a sheet to dry. Or heaven's forbid, wash their car.
Old 10-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think there is a subtle difference. People expect to find their neighbors washing their car in the driveway of their home. For better or worse, most are weekend warriors and rent their slips to get away from all that.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-22-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Minne, there's a difference between owning your land free and simple, and being subject to an HOA or condo association. Yes, I do know people who were given hundred dollars fines for washing their car. Or parking next to their kitchen to unload groceries. Or, heaven forbid, putting up a clothesline.

And don't even think of parking nose-out (safer, proven by statistics) instead of nose-in, when that's also required.

I'd never buy into one of those heavy-restricted deed arrangements, but they are far and wide the most popular thing in the country and in some places, you'd be hard pressed to find "just a plain title" available anymore.

You buy into one of these "communities" and you see your neighbor washing his car...No, it is no surprise, but then you call the HOA and report it. As you're expected to do.

Nice way to live, huh? Keeps the riff-raff like you and me out, too.
zeehag and LoboPops like this.
Old 10-22-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Randy, you bascially make no point relevant to liveaboards and boats.
I think I made my point very clear.. I own a dock on a waterway and will not lease to liveaboards due to the reasons I stated.. and I'm sure many marinas have the same attitude as I.
and further to note that its not a jealousy item as I live on my boat and still wont rent or lease to liveaboards..
Old 10-22-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Weird. I'm a liveaboard and have never kept anything on the dock. Why risk it being stolen? I don't work on my car either. I was never allowed to do that at an apartment, why would I be allowed to do that at a slip I'm renting?

The only "messy" things is in the summer I keep a tarp up on the boat and my car hatchback is packed full because I use my car to store a few things(like my fold up bicycle). But I keep that covered with a blanket because, again, I don't want anyone to break into my car to steal it.
Old 10-22-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyonR3 View Post
I think I made my point very clear.. I own a dock on a waterway and will not lease to liveaboards due to the reasons I stated.. and I'm sure many marinas have the same attitude as I.
and further to note that its not a jealousy item as I live on my boat and still wont rent or lease to liveaboards..
Why, because you admit they behave as you behave? Strange argument.
wingNwing, zeehag and Brent Swain like this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 10-22-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2012

"I think I made my point very clear.."
You did, but think about what you said. Your problem is with TENANTS not with liveaboards. In your case the tenants happen to be living on boats so they happen to be liveaboards, but that's coincidental. The crux of your complaint is that your TENANTS are not abiding by your rules.

Whether they are tenants on a boat, in a shotgun flat, in a luxury condo tower, or the gatehouse of your mansion, your complaint is still about TENANTS who won't follow your rules.

Or, did you just not mention that you only expect tenants on BOATS to follow your rules, that if you had rented a house to them and said "Can't work on cars on the lawn!" it would be OK if they didn't follow your rules, because they were in a house instead of a boat?
wingNwing and Brent Swain like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.