Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

As far as the principle of an additional liveaboard fee, I can see it being applied per person as making some sense. Not passing judgement on the amount, however, the incremental usage, wear and tear on the marina is going to be a factor of the population, not the boat.

I will admit that I would move if our marina was filled with live aboard kids. We do have several seasonal liveaboard (none over winter), but no permanent kids. No offense intended, its just not what I'm there for. I'm probably not alone and that could mean that the marinas don't want to lose other clients over it so price it to be discouraging.

Just guessing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I dont think they are opposed to families...just liveaboard ones

Maybe they dont want what could be a proliferation of run down houseboats with lots of teenage kids etc. Kind of like a Trailer Park on the water . Not saying this is you, but look at the possibilities here.

Dave
Wow. The attitude you've just described is exactly what liveaboards battle from the less knowledgeable outside world. Stereotyping looks ugly no matter who is painted, doesn't it?

We have weekenders at our marina who maintain their boats meticulously ... and those who show up every Friday evening to get drunk with their friends, and stay that way until Sunday afternoon and never leave the dock. We have liveaboards who are one step above being on the street ... and others who get up every weekday to drive to high-level professional jobs. There are boats that are never visited at all, just rotting in their slips.

A responsible marina will look not at how many nights you spend on your boat, but at how you maintain it and what the "boat" is. Many marinas here don't allow houseboats. Some mandate that you move the boat under its own power - i.e., get away from the dock - at least once every x months. Define the problem that you're really worried about, whether it's unseaworthy boats, unsuitable behavior, pollution, and mandate that. Much more effective than the blanket stereotypes.

Julienne - Speaking of stereotyping, I've also read that some marinas in Calif. won't allow living aboard boats less than 35 feet because they've determined that anything else doesn't have enough space. Weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Stereotyping looks ugly no matter who is painted, doesn't it?
Agreed and I didnt mean to do that. Jaye we have discussed this before and I know this subject is close to your heart as you are a liveaboard. Sometimes I think you feel people are "attacking" what you choose to do when my best intentions were not to do that. In that sometimes I think you may not see some of the negative. Many people own or are p[art of a club where they are owners of the facility and the slips. Just like associations they have restricted covenants on the slips. Gping with that how would you feel if Port Annapolis decided you could live aboard, but not in a house boat? Would you find that acceptable or restrictive?

There are plenty of communities which restrict conditions to live in the communities...take the over 55 communities. They dont allow children...not because they are sterotypes...its a group of people who want to live a certain way just like you.

People who live in communities where there are associations which govern the community are similar. There are many advantages/ disadvantages and I am not going into that, but it is not an unusual concept to have residential restrictions.

Now you may ask why would someone do that....does that make them discriminatory....because they dont want kids or houseboats are they stereotyping. I say no. I am not sterotyping what happens and saying all kids are bad...destructive...hang out etc. I merely said that perhaps the marina doesnt want live aboard children or live aboards at all. Maybe my frame of reference is a few Flordia marinas where they had many liveabords. There was an inordinate amount of houseboats and of course thast doesnt mean squat about people, just saying thats what there was.

Maybe a lot of marinas do not have liveaboards because their experience has not been a positive one with them and they are not as responsible as you and Dan are. We have liveabords in our club and I support that, but only to a percentage and only if the continue to follow the guidelines of the club....kind of how an association does,

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-06-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

Perhaps one way to look at this is to consider the costs associated with a space in a long-term parking lot vs. a campground.

Unless a liveaboard person is confined the the boat, he/she will be "consuming" more of the property's assets, like showers, utilities (including sewerage), public areas (picnic tables, decks, etc.), and parking (including guests'). Could the increased liveaboard time on the property be a factor in the property's insurance rates? It only makes business sense for a marina operator to look at the weekender differently than the full-time resident.
Old 12-19-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Way off current topic and back to thread topic::

Wind advisory last night shook, rattled and rolled all the boat in the harbor pretty good. I was trying to sleep on my boat, but every minute or so a gust would make it feel like a 6.0 earthquake. Pretty much a lost cause trying to catch shut-eye. Anyway I woke up at 4:30am as usual, noticed 2 sailboats furling jibs about halfway out, flapping wildly, bucking the boat back and forth tugging hard on the lines, ramming the dock. So, as a liveaboard, respectful neighbor, and watchful eye over my neighbors boats while they sit unattended for months, I rolled in their jibs and tied off their lines. Another boat in the marina next door lost their jib, probably a couple thousand $$? It was a 40' + new sailboat. Well, as liveaboards may be disliked by some people, we save you money when you aren't around and you'll probably never know.

I can't count the number of times I pull peoples shore-power cords out of the water, tidy them up and think nothing of it. Saved a kayak from floating away this morning too.

I think it's fair to say that liveaboards are usually a good thing to have around. Facilities are built to be used, offices get to stay open during the off season, and it keeps marina employees employed. Win-win in my book.
Old 12-19-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Anti live aboard sentiments are largely fueled by envy. Don't envy, emulate!
Lou452 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
Way off current topic and back to thread topic::

Wind advisory last night shook, rattled and rolled all the boat in the harbor pretty good. I was trying to sleep on my boat, but every minute or so a gust would make it feel like a 6.0 earthquake. Pretty much a lost cause trying to catch shut-eye. Anyway I woke up at 4:30am as usual, noticed 2 sailboats furling jibs about halfway out, flapping wildly, bucking the boat back and forth tugging hard on the lines, ramming the dock. So, as a liveaboard, respectful neighbor, and watchful eye over my neighbors boats while they sit unattended for months, I rolled in their jibs and tied off their lines. Another boat in the marina next door lost their jib, probably a couple thousand $$? It was a 40' + new sailboat. Well, as liveaboards may be disliked by some people, we save you money when you aren't around and you'll probably never know.

I can't count the number of times I pull peoples shore-power cords out of the water, tidy them up and think nothing of it. Saved a kayak from floating away this morning too.

I think it's fair to say that liveaboards are usually a good thing to have around. Facilities are built to be used, offices get to stay open during the off season, and it keeps marina employees employed. Win-win in my book.
Was nice that you helped your fellow sailors. The argument that they watch others boats is an old one. Had you been at the store on a weekend hopefully one of the weekend warriors would have tied your sail up too. You did a good deed. Liveaboards arent disliked in my club. They are just like any other sailor there. NOt discrimated against not given preferential treatment.

And they do pay a fee because they cost the club more money than someone who is only there 2 days a week. Thats a no brainer.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-21-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

As Arthur Black pointed out "Envy is an admission that you have made a screw up of your life. When people who are content with their own life, see someone with a good thing going, they say "Great! More power to you."
Only those who are disappointed with their own life, envy others.
So where is the logic in taking our directions from, or empowering, those who, by their own admission, have made a a screw up of running their own lives?
chef2sail, boatpoker and Bob142 like this.
Old 12-21-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

Wow, has this thread gone off track. If folks are objecting to others' behavior that is affecting their property or quality of life--if that is the case--that isn't envy.

Folks who live ashore on the waterfront and are paying inflated taxes have a legitimate complaint when someone appears in view that--in effect--is is not equitably responsible for the cost of public services. That applies to the land side, as well.
Old 12-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Two interesting movies regarding living aboard.

It seems that there are basically two class of liveaboards:

The ones that went to live in a boat because that's the only way they had to finance a boat and get away with their dream, meaning to sail to wonderful places and voyage.

The ones that chose to live in a boat because that's cheaper or a better option regarding to live in a house. These ones are not necessarily sailors neither they sail or voyage except occasionally when it is needed or demanded by the marina.

I don't understand what envy has to do with an appreciation of each situation. People do what they like and can. What is a wonderful for some will be a nightmare for others.

Found out aime interesting movies:

chef2sail and Dean101 like this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-22-2012 at 05:36 PM.