Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

judge not lest thee be judged.
merry christmas....happy new year
also happiness to other folks not celebrating christmas for religious reasons--may your seasonal holidays be awesome....
chef2sail and SayGudday like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

It's easy to spot the liveaboard that has all the junk piled about and a sure sign that they are not making a success of living aboard. Most successful live aboards are not recognized as liveaboards by the appearance of their boats other than some added equipment such as solar panels & wind generators.

Only the less successful liveaboards are in the "spotlight"!
SayGudday likes this.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 12-23-2012

sometimes that "junk" is stuff needed to be relocated for a refit of boat while being lived aboard--so you judge folks so easily??? judge not lest thee be judged....think about it.

many very successful liveaboards have "stuff" on decks due to refitting boat while living in this--
-mebbe folks should live in others' shoes for a bit of time to get used to the differences in lifestyles--not everyone is a snotty yotty--i got to see this from many sides, so far--mebbe your boat was perfect when ye bought her--some folks dont have money to afford that perfection before moving on board..rents ar ekinda high in usa for land based housing, dontcha know....
i had a neighbor in sd on moorings with a vagabond 47 he got for 60k usd, due to refit needs--he lived on board as he sanded the interior--yes, he placed his possessions on deck. lets see anyone else do better than that guy..LOL

Old 12-23-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
.....judge not lest thee be judged....think about it.
Ok, I'm done thinking about it and still feel the same.

Quote:
-mebbe folks should live in others' shoes for a bit of time to get used to the differences in lifestyles--not everyone is a snotty yotty....
That sounds sort of judgmental.

Marina rules are the rules. If my marina had a rule that permitted junk on the decks, I would move to another. I suspect that's why they don't.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-23-2012

sad to hear that so many living on boats have limited ability to understand the refits of others, and the need for placing some things on deck to make room for improvements before replacing the items into the newly created location made for them..LOL...is a sad world we live in wherein folks residing on the planet have no tolerance for the lives and living of others.... bon chance.
SayGudday and Brent Swain like this.

Old 12-23-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sometimes that "junk" is stuff needed to be relocated for a refit of boat while being lived aboard.................................... he placed his possessions on deck. lets see anyone else do better than that guy..LOL
Sure, I've "spread out" for refit and work below or on deck, but we've seen the other examples too. I had a liveaboard boat drift into during a storm. The guy aboard had broken loose from his other boat that was sunk that he was tied to. His deck was covered with items he had hoarded,- rusting grills, washing machines even a lawn mower. I helped him get back to his spot in the morning. He seemed to have some mental disabilities. I made this observation of his boat and his condition not in "judgement" or distain, but an awareness of his condition. I visited another liveaboard who was showing me his beautifully done wood interior below. It was beautiful, but all surface areas below were stacked with stuff. Even the steps leading down from his companionway were stacked with can goods, leaving only a toe space on each step. The deck was not visible under boxes of things. This man was not working on a project, he simply was not able to adapt to living as a single person on his 41' boat and he had been living aboard for five years. My point is not to judge these people, but to say that they are the ones that are obvious liveaboards. All those that live aboard successfully without excess on their decks and docks are not easily seen as liveaboards. This phenomenon causes a misconception about what living aboard is like. Liveaboards can function without excess and at the same time not be exclusive or "Yachties" or judging others. I do believe that the most successful liveaboards are not burdened by excess.
wingNwing and LoboPops like this.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 12-24-2012

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Its time we start going into other people's houses, apartments, backyards,offices, cube at the office , desk at the office, car, truck, trailer, motorhome,boat, and any other exterior or interior space to determine if it meets my approval, a military person approval, republican approval,democrat approval,skinhead approval, Putin's approval and of course all sailnet members........
I'm sure I left out many others who should approve of how people live and how much "stuff" is allowed to be owned, shown in 'their' space or hidden from view and (how we all should live). Maybe I should consult with great historical writing, religious leaders of past and present,etc. I'm sure one of the Supreme Leaders on this site will tell all of us how we should live.
zeehag and Brent Swain like this.
Old 12-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Wowza.....

You can live any bloody way you choose. But only if the rules of the marina you are in allow it. Then, everyone else gets to decide if they want to live next to you or move away. Its a pretty simple democracy and the minority has to live with it. Ask 48% of the people that just voted for President how they feel about not getting their way, particularly when the 52% are rubbing it in like it was a landslide.
wingNwing likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Wowza.....

You can live any bloody way you choose. But only if the rules of the marina you are in allow it. Then, everyone else gets to decide if they want to live next to you or move away. Its a pretty simple democracy and the minority has to live with it. Ask 48% of the people that just voted for President how they feel about not getting their way, particularly when the 52% are rubbing it in like it was a landslide.
I agree you can live any way you blody choose.

If you move to a marina whic has rules on corformity like an HOA does in land communities, thats is the right of the owners or slipholders to make rules up preserve their interests and value of thier marina. I am not arguing the validity of them, just that the homeowners have the right to make the rules by majority as long as they arent discriminatory. You dont have to live there and you dont have the right to bitch about it, move somewhere else

However if you move to a marina where there are no such rules, no one has the right to make you conform to their levels of organizatioin or standards and if they dont like it then they can move somewhere else/.

Getting tired of the losers pretending they didnt loose. It doesnt make any difference by how much. Just ask the 52% who feel the 48% are acting like they didnt loose.

Or ask the majoirty who voted for Gore but Bush won? Its the way the process works, just eal with it you lost.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-24-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

I agree with some of the others, if you sign a contract and the contract says that you won't have stuff on deck, then don't have stuff on deck. If you don't like the terms, don't sign the contract.

That said, I'm amazed that so many marinas have those kinds of rules. Maybe amazed isn't the right word, disappointed, that's a better word. Live and let live, I think all those liveaboards are charming, and yes, before anyone asks, yes, I even think the rusted out grills and bicycles, the dogs, laundry hanging in the rigging, I think it is all charming.

Please support my

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.