Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I agree with some of the others, if you sign a contract and the contract says that you won't have stuff on deck, then don't have stuff on deck. If you don't like the terms, don't sign the contract.

That said, I'm amazed that so many marinas have those kinds of rules. Maybe amazed isn't the right word, disappointed, that's a better word. Live and let live, I think all those liveaboards are charming, and yes, before anyone asks, yes, I even think the rusted out grills and bicycles, the dogs, laundry hanging in the rigging, I think it is all charming.
You charming is anothers junk and clutter. One person treasure is another persons trash. It really doesnt come into play

If you had to buy your slip, or wanted to maintian its value or increase it, charming doesnt come into play. Thats why some marinas, clubs have boards like homeowners groups in land communities who set some standards. Usually eveyone gets one vote so if enough people agree the rules/standards can be changed. No ones arm is twisted to live there as everyone knows the rules when you join and move in/

Dave
wingNwing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You charming is anothers junk and clutter. One person treasure is another persons trash. It really doesnt come into play

If you had to buy your slip, or wanted to maintian its value or increase it, charming doesnt come into play. Thats why some marinas, clubs have boards like homeowners groups in land communities who set some standards. Usually eveyone gets one vote so if enough people agree the rules/standards can be changed. No ones arm is twisted to live there as everyone knows the rules when you join and move in/

Dave
Look, if you don't like the rules, you shouldn't be there. Just because you want things to be a certain way and don't get what you want doesn't mean you can go around complaining about it if you knew what the rules were before you got there.

Not everybody likes to see junk on deck, and people have a right to decide as a group what they want and what they don't want if that is what the contract said, some people just don't like to see a lot of junk on deck. If you signed the contract then you knew what you were getting into, so you have to abide by the rules.

I personally don't mind the things that liveboards have on deck, I think its charming, but if that is against the rules then you shouldn't do it.
chef2sail, wingNwing and LoboPops like this.

Please support my
Old 12-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
....Getting tired of the losers pretending they didnt loose. It doesnt make any difference by how much. Just ask the 52% who feel the 48% are acting like they didnt loose.

Or ask the majoirty who voted for Gore but Bush won? Its the way the process works, just eal with it you lost.
Merry Christmas, Chef.

For another day, we can discuss how the above stated attitude is precisely why we can't get anything meaningful done anymore. The country is basically split 50/50 in ideology, which is ironically our real strength. The winning margin of a few percent is bought or manipulated by either party (the "undecided"). Running with it and pretending that half the country will just fall in line like prisoners is the problem. Doesn't matter which side won, if neither are willing to work together on common ground. As you say, deal with it.
chef2sail and zeehag like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-26-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
...............I personally don't mind the things that liveboards have on deck, ..................
I don't mind it either, but I do find it a problem that the misconception aboat liveaboards remains. It should not be noted as, "the things that liveaboards have on deck"; but instead, "the things that a few liveabords have on deck". Again, it should be recognized that most liveaboards are on board boats that are not easily distinguished from those without people living aboard.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 12-26-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I don't mind it either, but I do find it a problem that the misconception aboat liveaboards remains. It should not be noted as, "the things that liveaboards have on deck"; but instead, "the things that a few liveabords have on deck". Again, it should be recognized that most liveaboards are on board boats that are not easily distinguished from those without people living aboard.
Agree, but a actually, I think it should be noted as "the things that some boaters have on deck" (or on their dock/finger pier). Granted that more of the offenders seem to be liveaboards, but not all liveaboards have messy boats, and not all the owners of messy boats live aboard them full time. That's why I prefer to be in marinas that regulate the activity of how you keep your boat, not the number of nights you sleep aboard it. i.e., liveaboard status. Agree with Chef and a few of the other posters - if you don't like the rules, go to a place with rules more to your liking.

If you've occasionally got a project going on that requires use of deck space, but clean up after completion and its a project that you're making progress on every day, that's different from chronically having more possessions than you can accomodate in (not on) your boat.
wind_magic likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-26-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

and then there were / are cruisers..LOL
we have stuff on deck. i guess we are not welcome in marinas in many usa states....so what. no big loss--i anchor except in storm season
Brent Swain likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 12-26-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
.................we have stuff on deck. i guess we are not welcome in marinas in many usa states...........
Most the marinas that I choose to spend time at have no problem with "stuff on board". Myself, I have no problem with excess stuff on board other people's boats.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 12-27-2012
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Most the marinas that I choose to spend time at have no problem with "stuff on board". Myself, I have no problem with excess stuff on board other people's boats.
I think this has more to do with what sort of stuff, and how it's stowed. Nobody is going to have a problem with boating-related gear stowed tidily on deck. Other, unrelated stuff, strewn about or overflowing onto the dock/finger will probably draw complaints.

I've left a kayak and my dinghy up on the foredeck a few times with no problems, but the marina staff commented as soon as I forgot about a cooler that I left on the dock. Same cooler stashed in my cockpit, no problem.

Most marinas around here simply want to maintain a presentable appearance. That's why a lot of them require a photo of your boat when you apply for a slip. Some of the houseboats in those videos would not likely be allowed in the marina I'm in for this reason. I wouldn't mind seeing them, myself, but it's not my marina.

At the same time, as long as you aren't disturbing anyone or making an uncontained mess, my marina doesn't have a problem with anyone doing work projects on their boats.
Old 12-27-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
I think this has more to do with what sort of stuff, and how it's stowed. Nobody is going to have a problem with boating-related gear stowed tidily on deck. Other, unrelated stuff, strewn about or overflowing onto the dock/finger will probably draw complaints.

I've left a kayak and my dinghy up on the foredeck a few times with no problems, but the marina staff commented as soon as I forgot about a cooler that I left on the dock. Same cooler stashed in my cockpit, no problem.

Most marinas around here simply want to maintain a presentable appearance. That's why a lot of them require a photo of your boat when you apply for a slip. Some of the houseboats in those videos would not likely be allowed in the marina I'm in for this reason. I wouldn't mind seeing them, myself, but it's not my marina.

At the same time, as long as you aren't disturbing anyone or making an uncontained mess, my marina doesn't have a problem with anyone doing work projects on their boats.
This is pretty much what we see here, also - your dinghy on deck or jerry cans lashed to the stanchions, no problem. Random items left on the dock for others to walk around (or trip on after dark), legitimate problem. Even if your odds and ends or pieces from that half-completed refit are contained on your own deck, loose things can become missiles in high wind like we are experiencing here today.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-27-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
This is pretty much what we see here, also - your dinghy on deck or jerry cans lashed to the stanchions, no problem. Random items left on the dock for others to walk around (or trip on after dark), legitimate problem. Even if your odds and ends or pieces from that half-completed refit are contained on your own deck, loose things can become missiles in high wind like we are experiencing here today.
I guess that someone had already nailed the problem: You can't live in a boat the same way you live in a house that is 10 times bigger. That is not like a different option in what regards living in a house or a boat but, unless we are talking about a 30m yacht, a different option in what regards life stile.

If someone is trying to live in a boat the same way he lived in a house, well, he should not live in a boat unless he has the money to buy a big yacht.

Regards

Paulo