Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012

Jenny Jo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenny Jo
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

I believe this is also happening in Sarasota Bay, FL. I guess some how the owner of the marina here owns the whole area of land under the water.?! Anyway, moorings have gone in now. It has pushed a lot of sailors out. I need my sailboat closer to that shore because I just had a baby & my dinghy is a kayak so I rent a mooring now. They decided to do this a week after I had moved aboard. I rented out my home to cover the mortgage because my job cut my hours to nothing because I was pregnant & no one hires pregnant ladies. I pay on time ($275.00), keep my boat & us clean & am so friendly to the marina but I still get attitude from the doc master. I feel so unwelcome by the marina that I don't use the dock amenities that are included in my rental. I have a feeling they will keep increasing the rent till all the live aboards are gone. There is nowhere else in Sarasota to anchor anymore that has access to land. I hear this is getting to be the case more & more. It stinks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I was thinking about the "snotty yachty" comment and why most don't like having a neighbor with junk all over their boat. Is it particular to marinas?

I don't think so. When you drive through a neighborhood, where everything is strewn all over the front yards of all the house, the property value are definitely lower.

How about littering? For practical purposes, littering would be pretty efficient. That plastic bottle on the side of the road isn't harming anything, is it?

In the end, its a cultural norm to keep things reasonably neat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-27-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
T
Found out aime interesting movies:
Anyone know what brand of boat Chris in that hobotraveler.com video is living in? 1979, 37ft cutter rig, sounds like she's a decent ocean goer. I like her layout and would love to look up more on the design.

Nevermind, found it: Cherubini 37 Cutter

Last edited by LauderBoy; 12-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I was thinking about the "snotty yachty" comment and why most don't like having a neighbor with junk all over their boat. Is it particular to marinas?

I don't think so. When you drive through a neighborhood, where everything is strewn all over the front yards of all the house, the property value are definitely lower.

How about littering? For practical purposes, littering would be pretty efficient. That plastic bottle on the side of the road isn't harming anything, is it?

In the end, its a cultural norm to keep things reasonably neat.
I disagree.

It may seem like a cultural norm where you live, but you get out away from the cities and towns and into everyday life in the U.S. and other countries and it isn't any kind of cultural norm at all.

The clean windows, polished brass, shiny floors, and lint free suits of a city high-rise seem downright creepy once you get out into very rural areas.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2012

LoboPops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Julienne - Speaking of stereotyping, I've also read that some marinas in Calif. won't allow living aboard boats less than 35 feet because they've determined that anything else doesn't have enough space. Weird.
One of the marinas near here requires boats to be at least 40 feet! I think it's more to to restrict the type of patrons plus the extra cash incentive.
Old 12-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I disagree.

It may seem like a cultural norm where you live, but you get out away from the cities and towns and into everyday life in the U.S. and other countries and it isn't any kind of cultural norm at all.

The clean windows, polished brass, shiny floors, and lint free suits of a city high-rise seem downright creepy once you get out into very rural areas.
We can agree to disagree, but perhaps my point wasn't clear enough. I've seen both junky and neat rural areas. I think we all have.

There are many rural neighborhoods that are neat (not polished brass, just kept neat). But drive through a neighborhood where old cars are left rusting in the front yard, junk is discarded in sight, storage bins line the front porch and these are going to have lower property values for the exact same house. Neatness is valued, which is the connection that marinas are making when faced with unkept liveaboard boats.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-28-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I disagree.

That's a cultural thing all right and it is not only on the US. If things look decadent in a rural area means that culture and rural area is decadent. Rural areas when prosperous are normally more neat than cities. It has to do with be proud to belong to a community....or not.

Regards

Paulo
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-28-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

PCP and Minnewaska,

I strongly disagree with both of you but I haven't been able to think of a way to explain to you why I disagree with you, so I am going to let it go and leave it at that, at least for now.

Please support my
Old 12-28-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That's a cultural thing all right and it is not only on the US. If things look decadent in a rural area means that culture and rural area is decadent. Rural areas when prosperous are normally more neat than cities. It has to do with be proud to belong to a community....or not.

Regards

Paulo
The reason us humans value clean and neatness goes back 100's if not thousands of years. If you want to stay healthy and not have disease and be over run by rats and mice, you have to keep things neat and clean.

Just look at any third world nation that is covered in trash and human waste, they all have big problems.

So it stands to reason most people with any brains at all are going to look down on those who want to trash the places they live.

Of coarse there's a big difference between unorganized and trashy, but the problem is if you don't know a person well, you have no idea what their intentions are. If you see a boat or house with stuff all over the dock/front yard, what is going on inside??? Some might say it's non of our business, but if that same place is over run by rats, the neighbors will soon be too.

Than there's the economic reasons to keep things neat and clean. It's not just property values, but where people will want to go to spend their money.

If you are looking for a restaurant, which one would you choose to go to? A dirty and trashy looking place? Or a classy clean one. If all other things are equal (cost menus etc) the clean place will do much more business.

Marinas are no different.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-28-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
The reason us humans value clean and neatness goes back 100's if not thousands of years. If you want to stay healthy and not have disease and be over run by rats and mice, you have to keep things neat and clean.
Also from a society point of view, if you're setup to where your society controls itself to be neat and tidy(via things like shame or a need for people to conform to certain standards), then you can likely use those same underlying controls for military conquest.