Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

While I agree with you on some points Joe, the boats that have 15lb anchors on a little bit of thin nylon rope that go bouncing off other boats dumping whatever garbage they feel like over the side. Doesn't matter where you are, you can't be spilling your crap over into your neighbors place. I had a neighbor who's property was neck deep in garbage, the rats in our yard were never ending, no matter how many traps we set out. Finally one day the city cleaned it up and the rats stopped.

Also, your house is unlikely to go careening around and bumping into your neighbors, nor is your neighbor quite so likely to have to drag you out of the water because you fall in drunk while trying to dodge around the washing machines, bicycles and multiple dinghys stacked on deck.

I think some basic rules, well enforced are much nicer than the usual alternative of nothing happening until lots of complaints roll in, then all living aboard being banned, and being enforced enthusiastically, ruining it for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
l...
I don't care for everything I see outside the boundaries of my land proprty but I don't try to dictate how it should look or be kept.
If I see something beyond the boundaries of my proprty that upsets me I simply avert my eyes to spare myself the agravation. Or to put it more painly, I mind my own bussiness. If I wanted to harass my neighbors I get a house in a homeowners assoc.

-- --------
That is you that are not managing a marina. The ones that are doing that are interested in maintaining clients satisfied and that include keeping it in a way that pleases the vast majority and it is their business to make rules how others should keep their property to warrant that the ambiance suits that majority.

Of course if you don’t agree you can always leave and look for one that suits you or even one that has no rules at all, even if that is hard to imagine.

And rules are not only to live in a marina. In Holland if your house has a yard, if you have it not properly cared, you will be fined. Beautiful gardens everywhere and that's the way they want it. They will not allow that some careless guy spoil that even if it is on its yard. Everybody knows the rules, you can always live elsewhere, in a house without a yard

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-08-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

We have a slip at Port Sidney Marina BC and yes their is a 134.00 Dollar fee on top of your morage for a 34 foot boat 12.75 per foot plus taxes. So that works out to 433.00 + 135.00= $568.00 per month plus taxes. Not bad since you are living in paradise.
Old 10-08-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

I guess holland is off the list. Dam I was just about to head over there too.... now I guess I'l have to slum it here ,shucks.

when I was much younger I used to run around w/ a bunch of friends on motorcycles and we all had jackets w/ the same thing on the back . Sometimes we would stop and have a drink. Occasionally we would encounter opposition to our choice of transportation and or dress.
Being young and able we would sometimes get offended that not all tavern proprietors appreciated our patronage and we would sometimes resort to violence or a destructive action of the premises and or patrons / proprietors.
Looking back now I wonder why we even bothered ? we should have just gone to where we were welcomed and appreciated !
Now,years later, I try not to get worked up around places I'm not suited for anymore , why bother when my pennies spend everywhere and I enjoy myself more around fun folks rather than walking on glass around folks who aren't welcoming.

This trip I'm taking a line from the Pardy's , when I anchor someplace and the locals ask how long I plan on staying I'll aswer "As long as I feel welcome" .
Too many great people around to hang with, to waste this short life on the others.

life is fun when you enjoy it .
Old 10-09-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Dont let the "vigilantes of conformity "sabotage your cruising, or other lifestyle dreams. They have completely taken over other chatlines, attacking anyone who offers innovative and imaginative solutions, rendering these chatlines totally useless for anyone seeking solutions.
I have met marina managers who will smile at your face, while cursing you to others behind your back. Ditto many others.
Yes, keeping things clean and tidy helps a lot, both for yourselves and others.
Old 10-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We don't have year round live aboards, as no one can stay over the winter at all. We do have several who live aboard full time all season, approx 6 months. Mostly retired folks. In each case, they seem to make it hard to tell and that is what works.

No surcharge that I know of, however, you don't get to pay a flat free for electricity. If you're aboard full time, you get a meter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I just thought of another example. There was a large powerboat in our marina that had a full time captain that lived aboard. The owner came and went. I swear I saw that Captain consuming staff time each and every day. Not really sure if he was complaining or what he was doing. But it was clear that he was high maintenance for the marina. That sort of behavior probably encourages a marina to have a liveaboard fee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We've always tried to show up in person, with a picture of the boat, when inquiring about liveaboard slips. Lets the manager know us, s/he can figure out if we're likely to be good citizens of the marina community, and know that our boat is maintained in seaworthy condition. We've never had a problem getting dockage.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-09-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
living aboard tied to a dock is not the best live aboard experience. living aboard on the hook or while traveling is much more preferred. As per the judgemental attitudes about how a boat is kept and how and what is stored where , none of my bussiness how others choose to keep thier property.
I don't care for everything I see outside the boundaries of my land property but I don't try to dictate how it should look or be kept.
If I see something beyond the boundaries of my property that upsets me I simply avert my eyes to spare myself the agravation. Or to put it more plainly, I mind my own bussiness.
If I wanted to harass my neighbors I'd get a house in a homeowners assoc.

The bottom line is, my boats travel and when I don't get the happy happy reception I take my boat and my pennies elsewhere as they both seem to work well just about anywhere.
case in point- St. Augustine -- don't need it , just float right on by- - - --------
Hate those damn HOA's! They started out well intentioned but have become run by ruleNazi's. The Admiral rents out her large townhouse. Got a letter from the HOA Witch accusing her of restaining the steps to a different color w/o getting permission to change the color.
Um, no, they weathered to the color they are now. Also, accused her of putting a satellite dish up w/o approval.
Um, again no, it was there when she bought the house.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
As long as people keep their boats in reasonable condition I could care less if they live aboard whether in a marina or on the hook. I figure *MOST* liveaboards are going to be more attuned to what's going on around them.
Old 10-09-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We've always tried to show up in person, with a picture of the boat, when inquiring about liveaboard slips. Lets the manager know us, s/he can figure out if we're likely to be good citizens of the marina community, and know that our boat is maintained in seaworthy condition. We've never had a problem getting dockage.
Yea, thats a cool way to go and you've got pretty boat, and solely based on your posts you seem like nice folks and all.
I guess I just got a problem having to convice someone to take my money.
I've never been refused a slip any place that I can recall, but then I don't often take a slip. And when I do I pay up front cash on the spot in advance,signed contract done deal.
As of the last few years due to economic factors I see a few places that previously had their noses held pretty high singing a different tune when 2/3rds of there docks are empty, I like to go in to them and act like I'm interested in a slip and laugh at them when they grovel. right now it's a buyers market and cash is king.
besides all the snooty places are filled with boring uninteresting people.
The easier going do-it-yourself type marinas and yards host a more entertaining assortment of salty individuals w/ much more interesting exchange and experiences.
I dig that, if I want boring uptight I'd just stay home and keep running the Shoe repair all year long and skip the cruising/sailing. I love old boatyards filled w/ old sailboats and seafarers.
And real people having pot lucks and daily byob happy hours.
If you ain't got epoxy stuck to you and bottom paint sanding dust in you hair your just missing out!
thof likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.