Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

States get their tax money. Maybe it's from Peter, maybe from Paul but they get it. When states choose to lure buyers of things by eliminating sales tax, it simply shifts the burden onto others. Same for freebies to industry. When I retired, I moved the heck out of NH, for example, because I got tired of footing the bill through my property taxes so that people from Mass. could come over the border and buy things tax-free. Where states get their revenue from is a complicated equation involving fairness issues. I know folks in NH paying 15k in taxes for a normal, medium sized, probably 2000 sq.ft. house...it's absurd.
Old 01-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The payroll and income taxes collected on the jobs and business activity that the RI sales tax policy creates/retains, probably dwarf the potential sales tax. And the taxpayers have jobs! Not to mention the sales taxes on everything else that is spent by the out of state crowd here. I presume NH was doing the same math in keeping those stores open that are selling to Mass residents. Lose those jobs and your property taxes go up too, as you stop collecting both payroll and corporate income taxes on that activity and now have to pay unemployment and social welfare benefits.

Keep people employed and spending money. It's not that complicated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 01-04-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Your personal environmental foot print is mostly measured by how much money you go thru, period.
Old 01-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The payroll and income taxes collected on the jobs and business activity that the RI sales tax policy creates/retains, probably dwarf the potential sales tax. And the taxpayers have jobs! Not to mention the sales taxes on everything else that is spent by the out of state crowd here. I presume NH was doing the same math in keeping those stores open that are selling to Mass residents. Lose those jobs and your property taxes go up too, as you stop collecting both payroll and corporate income taxes on that activity and now have to pay unemployment and social welfare benefits.

Keep people employed and spending money. It's not that complicated.
You may well be right about the relative amounts brought in but states ought to make an attempt to proportion taxes fairly. NH has sky high taxes on anything you own, including car, house, boat, etc. They promote the "tax-free" state, which is true...unless of course, you happen to live there. It is very regressive to slap the responsible citizens with a big tax bill so that people can buy cheap liquor at state liquor stores. The overall tax rate in NH is pretty low. There is no income tax, no sales tax. The dollars to provide the financially strapped services like education and law enforcement come from homeowners.
Old 01-04-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
You may well be right about the relative amounts brought in but states ought to make an attempt to proportion taxes fairly. NH has sky high taxes on anything you own, including car, house, boat, etc. They promote the "tax-free" state, which is true...unless of course, you happen to live there. It is very regressive to slap the responsible citizens with a big tax bill so that people can buy cheap liquor at state liquor stores. The overall tax rate in NH is pretty low. There is no income tax, no sales tax. The dollars to provide the financially strapped services like education and law enforcement come from homeowners.
Keep in mind people who liveaboard are home owners, and as you say in New Hampshire, pay property tax.

I will admit one of the reasons I am looking to live on a boat, is property tax, in New York we are paying way to much in property tax and that is why lots of folks are loosing there houses. For me a sub 200,000 house should not be paying more than $12,000 in property tax, and that is upstate and not in the best town. One local town is saying that these are going up 70% a year for the next two years as well. Granted we have some of the best schools in the country, but it is getting crazy and is really due to local government miss handling things.
Old 01-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Keep in mind people who liveaboard are home owners, and as you say in New Hampshire, pay property tax.

I will admit one of the reasons I am looking to live on a boat, is property tax, in New York we are paying way to much in property tax and that is why lots of folks are loosing there houses. For me a sub 200,000 house should not be paying more than $12,000 in property tax, and that is upstate and not in the best town. One local town is saying that these are going up 70% a year for the next two years as well. Granted we have some of the best schools in the country, but it is getting crazy and is really due to local government miss handling things.
Your taxes can't go by more than 2% with the new property tax cap, wisely signed into law by Gov. Cuomo. He seems to be doing a pretty good job. It is unfunded mandates that are bankrupting school systems. I am way upstate in the boonies and the taxes here are comparatively not bad. I do know people downstate that are getting killed by high RE taxes. Anyway, this is getting way off the OP.
Old 01-05-2013
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
liveaboards in kali actually pay property taxes. just like homeowners..LOL
California? Yes, boat owners pay property tax here.
Old 01-05-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think they are better with it than some other places. Around here half those homeowners near the Bay have jobs because of the marine industry. Boaters are their life blood.
Though there are many valid positives to having liveaboards in an area, not to mention the revenue from the marine industry, what I am speaking to is the PERCEPTION from homeowners, which is not as aligned to these realities as you might think they should be.

It is that perception which is at the heart of their less than welcoming reception of "liveaboards".
Old 01-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I get your point Doug. I'm saying that I don't think that is the same here in RI as where you've experienced it. Look at a map. The western side of the state is about a sparcely populated as you can get. If it weren't for the Bay, what would RI have? Changes the dynamic here. While there are contingencies that fire off stupid ideas from time to time, they lose because its a very boater friendly state. So far, anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-05-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post

Paul, what do you mean that "....people who liveaboard are home owners, and as you say in New Hampshire, pay property tax." ??

Their liveaboard boat is not a "home", it is officially a "luxury".
Many years ago, I was contemplating declaring bankruptcy, but learned that the first thing I would have to sell, was my boat, even though it was my only "home", because it is considered a luxury, not a home.

And no, we do not pay any "property tax". We may pay a sales tax (dependent on the State) when we buy a boat, but that is it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.