Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
There are some places here too, that limit the percentage of liveaboard slips. They claim it has to do with limited infrastructure such as parking, pumpouts, electric etc. But if that were truly the case, I'd assume the appropriate percentages would be determined by each individual marina based on their circumstances, not county-wide. So I wonder... Wingnwing
This is no different than an HOA with rules or communities over 55. While I beleive anchoring in the water is free and is everyones right as long as you arent blocking channels and polluting, I dont beleive it written that it is a right to be able to dock your boat permanently whereever you feel you want to. From what I have seen, most marinas do not even want to deal with this issue so most do not permit liveaboards. I beleive the decision is strictly a financial one as was the decision in our club. It was not meant to discriminate against them as a group and assign a social stigma to them. We dont want more than 10% because it would create even more changes in our clubs dynamics and incur greater charges thus increase our fees as well as decreaase the life expectancy of the facility. If 270 people use the club 200 days out of the year and 30 365 days per year as it is now, the finanacial impact and life expetancy of the infrastructure would be far different than if the 150 poeple used the club 365 days per year and the other 150 used it 200 days per year. In additon by having an extra 120 people living full time in the county the county services would need to be increased ( schools, police, fire, trash) which would mean the budget would need to be adjusted for the county to handle the extra 120 people living there, which usually means the taxes would go up for everyone. Our fees are for basic property taxes on a facility which is not used 365 days oper year. It seems fair that the people who are incurring the extra costs should pay for them. Thats what a user fee is.

This is strictly a fiinancial decision not meant to attach any social agenda to a person wanting to live on the boat. To beleive that all individuals should pay equally by their marina fees for the county taxes when one group lives there all of ther time and the majority part time....like some have said in the presdiential debates...just doesnt add up. Do the math. Marinas and our club are finanacial profit making businesses. They shouldnt have to absorb losses or pass them on to spread them amongst other memebers. People who use....should pay.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-11-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Dave,

My "footprint" at my marina is minimal and wouldn't justify the extra fees that you're talking about. I feel that this is the difference between a resort marina and a working yard like the one WnW and I stay at. I don't think you can directly compare the two environments.

I consume slightly more water than a non-liveaboard and less electricity than some non-liveaboards! How? Because the non-resident yacht owners keep their cabin A/C running year-round, to keep their cabins dry and mildew-free. I barely used my A/C in the summer, and I won't need much heat this winter.

I cook with alcohol and a 700 watt microwave oven. I use a laptop or my smartphone. My lights use less power and there are fewer of them. Trash pick-up for the marina is no more or less frequent than if none of us lived aboard. It's the same dumpster and we don't fill it up any more frequently. The school bus stop is at the head of the street, and it would still be the case even if none of us lived aboard. I believe that our water lines are going to be winterized and shutdown regardless of us liveaboards. If we want water in our tanks, we'll have to schlep it down to our boats.

I have consumed exactly "zero" staff time since I've moved in at the marina. My mates and I help each other out for the repairs we need. The crabbers and fishermen who use my marina cause more havoc on the facilities and bathhouse than the liveaboards do, and there are over 25 of us!

Conversely, if I lived aboard at a resort marina, I expect that I would consume more facilities and staff time than I do at my "yard" marina. I'd expect water year-round, club house access and services, etc, etc.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-11-2012

Quote:
My "footprint" at my marina is minimal and wouldn't justify the extra fees that you're talking about. I feel that this is the difference between a resort marina and a working yard like the one WnW and I stay at. I don't think you can directly compare the two environments.-BubbleheadMD
WnW's marina ( having been there a number of times) is more of a resort mariana than my club. It is one of the finest facilities I have ever been to, anywhere and IMHO outdoes HHNorth&South, Spring Cove, and Mears Marinas. It is also a working yard which allows that and has many of the Annapolis Boat brokers offices on the premisis.

I do appreciate the footprint of where you are, but do not think that is the norm for most of the liveaboards. Since you do not incur addition costs for services there would be no need for them to charge you extra.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-11-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Well, of course the ideal would be to have metered electric at the slips, even though it is more of a hassle for the marina staff, it's the most fair approach. Like Bubblehead, our marina has folks who don't live aboard, but leave the A/C running all season while the boat is unattended at the dock - why should they pay less electric than the guy who lives aboard, but is out cruising most of the summer? Because our boat is set up for cruising, we get most of our power from solar, while the weekenders' boats haven't invested in those systems. In our marina's case there is also a charterboat fleet that operates out of this marina. They are the KINGS of using staff time. Because they are vacationers and haven't learned the subtleties of the system, as opposed to the fulltime liveaboards, those charter folks generate copious amounts of trash. (A disproportionate amount of that is empty booze bottles, but that's a whole 'nother issue. They are on vacation, after all.) I think the point is that generalizations about which group uses resources, and how, are problematic.

On your other point, Dave, I'm actually agreeing with you - thereby showing the problems with communication by text without benefit of tone and body language. Of course, your club, and any other marine entity, should be able to determine for itself and set the amount of liveaboard slips, if any, that it feels appropriate for its character, infrastructure, and economics. What is weird is the situation LauderBoy described in San Diego, that there's a county-wide determination that all marinas in the county can support exactly 10% liveaboards, regardless of their differences in character, size, support structure, etc. I think those decisions should be left to the individual marina and their circumstances - 25%? 90%? None at all? The more so in San Diego, where winter isn't a factor given their nice weather year-round.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-11-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

The liveaboard "debate" (for lack of a better word) is no different than most topics of discussion in that as long as everyone involved recognizes the validity of the "other side's" viewpoint, things tend to work themselves out.

It's funny how we tend to categorize the other side. Not picking on you, Joethecobbler, but I noticed in your last post that you have on-the-surface become that which you rail against. Going to a marina, expressing interest in dock space with no intention of moving there just to watch the owners/operators "grovel"? Really.....lol? I mean, if that's fun for you, that's fine but it's probably not fair to denigrate "those people" if you walk the same walk, so-to-speak. Again, not picking on you, but from the outside looking in, it seems like both sides of that equation has room for improvement.

To each their own I always say, as long as we recognize one side is no better/worse than the other and we all pay our fair share. If a marina doesn't charge extra for liveaboards, that just means that all of the users pay for decisions of a few.
Old 10-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
.....Except for the one we were at where the yard workers started drinking hard and fast promptly at 5:01 every Friday night......
This is an admitted highjack, but I would love to start a thread that would get all over this.

I'm the first to enjoy a cocktail at the end of the day and am happy that yard employees do so too. However, drinking in plain sight of the customers at 5:01 (make that 12:01 on Saturdays) is ridiculous. Generally, who cares. But the next time they screw up some maintenance (AND THEY WILL), the only thought I have in my mind is them sitting around drunk with empty Coors Light cans all around them. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Bad management, which is grossly typical in the marine industry.

I think everybody just wants to believe they are in an industry that is laid back and everyone is there for fun. However, they are still in business.
wingNwing and LoboPops like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I believe that the 10% live aboard occupancy rate in California marinas is state wide for all areas falling under the Coastal Commission’s jurisdiction. Up here in San Francisco we also have to follow the dictates of the Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC). Heck, Alameda even stretched a cable across Packer Cove at one time in order to discourage the “homeless” from anchoring there.
Old 10-11-2012

Quote:
I'm the first to enjoy a cocktail at the end of the day and am happy that yard employees do so too. However, drinking in plain sight of the customers at 5:01 (make that 12:01 on Saturdays) is ridiculous. Generally, who cares. But the next time they screw up some maintenance (AND THEY WILL), the only thought I have in my mind is them sitting around drunk with empty Coors Light cans all around them. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Bad management, which is grossly typical in the marine industry.- Minnewaska
I think lots of industries have this problem.

This is the same problem in the restaurant business when employees finish work and go to the bar while the restuarant is still open.

I know you are a pilot...I must say it is very disconcerting when I travel ( fairly frequently) for business and am on a layover or between connecting flights seeing the pilots, crew flight atendants drinking in the airport restraurant lounges.

Quote:
On your other point, Dave, I'm actually agreeing with you - thereby showing the problems with communication by text without benefit of tone and body language.-Wingnwing
+1 you are right here and also about letting each decide. A blanket rule without an overreaching problem is usually not a good idea.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 10-11-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road

There has been a few times we have needed to stay in a marina and have been fortunate to stay in a marina that would make great liveaboard marina.
Bridgeton Harbour Marina near New Bern, has a great harbourmaster and we meet a dozen of the liveaboards that treated us like family. very nice facilities including free laundry.
Old 10-11-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

I really don't like the county/state-wide percentage limits on liveaboards. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting down facility requirements(pumpout, showers, etc), but there's nothing inherently wrong with a marina that wants 100% liveaboards if they set themselves up to support it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.