Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
".they told us the live aboard rate was going to go up $200 a month! Is there opposition to "
Welcome to the free market economy. There's a limited supply, so the folks who own it are charging everything they can get. Kinda like the airlines. Oh, would you like priority seating at the dingy dock? That'll be an extra $10 if you use our cleats, didn't you bring your own? Water's free, but there's a hose surcharge if you want to use our hose. Wait a minute, am I being hosed?

Yeah, welcome to the 21st century. Be glad there are no flying cars, there'd be oil dripping from the skies along with loose nuts and bolts.
Thank god I never have to tie up in marinas. If I won millions in the lottery, I wouldnt tie up in marinas and pay someone to tell me how to run my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Dave,
(snippage) Because the non-resident yacht owners keep their cabin A/C running year-round, to keep their cabins dry and mildew-free. I barely used my A/C in the summer, and I won't need much heat this winter.
A/C? How many boats there have A/C? I've been aboard quite a few boats in my marina, have yet to see one with A/C. Of course, every slip is metered here, so that doesn't matter too much. Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Trash pick-up for the marina is no more or less frequent than if none of us lived aboard. It's the same dumpster and we don't fill it up any more frequently.
They would reduce the pick-up frequency if there were no live-aboards.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 10-12-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
A/C? How many boats there have A/C? I've been aboard quite a few boats in my marina, have yet to see one with A/C..
Every single boat on our entire pier has A/C. Works well as a heat pump this time of year too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-12-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Chef2sail - Thank you for the insight about your YC . It definitely gives me a view into a fine long standing establishment that apparently furthers the interests of boating and sailing.
I wouldn't and cannot deny that at any level and I must say The rates you quoted when compared to other locations and Marinas aren't bad at all! Hell, I could even afford it if I were so inclined and was willing to forgo a few other of my interests that consume my meager earnings. Sounds like not a bad place at all.
BUT - (and a rather large but at that) When I made reference to class warfare I wasn't refering to you opposed to WingNWing I was refering to BOTH OF YOU .
And I wil attempt to explain.
You BOTH are of the upper financial bracket (apparently WingNWing a bit more so ??)
I didn't mean to indicate that you-all were of different financial class but rather you both were "well Heeled" and that it is interesting that you had differing opinions and views , I am now even MORE fascinated as to you differing perspectives in light of your revealed friendship and all.
You have dispelled a bit of the YC stereotype I had of you (chef2sail) in light of the costs and figures as well as the structure of you club. interesting view into your world.
I also find it quite nice that you can have a difference of opinion and still be friends, as it should be.
However , the way I read your posts and the fact that you enjoy the HOA relationship of homeownership I percieve you as a bit of a harsher outlook to the financially lesser endowed (two homes each for you and spouse,HOA,Jersey shore) I mean come on man.
Now , that being said , bully for you ! I think it's great your doing well and wish you the best in the future. I'm not of the "hate the Rich" mindset, I appreciate your opinions and perspective I just don't always understand it or agree with it.
Like I said "I could be wrong" thanks for the clarification.
No hostility meant and (I hope) no hard feelings.
Old 10-12-2012
cruising all I can

WingNwing - Thanks for seeing a bit of what I was attempting to portray in my il-percieved posting. I have to admit I am more inclined to "side" with the opinion and perspective you have expoused and am well aware that you are far from a poor. and did not intend to indicate otherwise. My apology if you were at all offended.
I found it quite interesting you both responded at almost the same time !
I enjoy you writing style and appreciate what I feel is your steady and fair approach to things boating related. As you stated we've had slightly different opinions about things in the past. But no bother , I enjoy exchange w/ those of differing views. It's one of he reasons I come to sailnet, to hears different takes on stuff.
Interesting to know of your personal friendshp w/ Chef2sail , small world !
Also , glad to hear the american dream is working for you. sounds like you made all the right choices at all the right times. Hope it continues for ya.
you have a very nice manner of writing. I'm admitedly envious.
Old 10-12-2012
cruising all I can

And now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

I know, I know... .. . ..
I am who I am, I can change, if I have to . . . I guess .. . .
Old 10-13-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
Alot of marinas charge a liveaboard fee. They say liveaboards use the restrooms more and cause wear on the marina which ia a bunch of B.S. They come up with many false reasons, and excuses..... I would guess people opposed to live-aboards agree with the marinas.
Sidney, I'm not a liveaboard, and I have nothing against any of the liveaboards I've met in my admittedly brief tenancy at my marina. But how could you say that people using the facilities on a daily basis doesn't increase the maintenance requirements and expenditures of the marina? Hell, to start with they have about triple the number of RR facilities due the liveaboards. The RR closest to my boat has 7 showers, 9 lavs, 4 toilets, 3 urinals... And it's one of three on my side of the marina. Then there's the Lounge, Laundry rooms, workout rooms, gated docks, night security....

554 total slips, 50% max liveaboard. You think 277 people using facilities every day doesn't add up to wear and tear?

I'll tell ya, if I ever DO decide to liveaboard, the $195 extra ($240 for a couple) wouldn't bother me a bit.
Old 10-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am by no means rich. I own a 30 year boat. I have worked hard for what I have and continue to do so. I make no apologies for having and owning a house and view it as a sound financial investment as well as a place to live. I am not a minimalist by any means, but try and use as much green environmental products as possible and live my life trying to contribute to others as well as enjoying it or myself and my wife.

Our boat and club is a means for our family to be together in simple surroundings without a lot of the hustle and stuff we are bombarded ith in our jobs. I love almost all aspects of sailing. A reasonable extension of this logic is to say that just because I have not been hit by falling space junk for 25 years it surely could happen and I should worry about it. have worked my way up over the years like many others from a hobie cat, to a small keelboat, to a 28 Islander, to our current 35 C&C. I have enjoyed each and all of these boats. I like to race, cruise and just hang out in any way on our boat. There are no free lunches in life. I make no apologies for what I have, and it des not define me other.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-13-2012
cruising all I can

Quote:
I am by no means rich. I own a 30 year boat. I have worked hard for what I have and continue to do so. I make no apologies for having and owning a house and view it as a sound financial investment as well as a place to live. I am not a minimalist by any means, but try and use as much green environmental products as possible and live my life trying to contribute to others as well as enjoying it or myself and my wife.

Our boat and club is a means for our family to be together in simple surroundings without a lot of the hustle and stuff we are bombarded ith in our jobs. I love almost all aspects of sailing. A reasonable extension of this logic is to say that just because I have not been hit by falling space junk for 25 years it surely could happen and I should worry about it. have worked my way up over the years like many others from a hobie cat, to a small keelboat, to a 28 Islander, to our current 35 C&C. I have enjoyed each and all of these boats. I like to race, cruise and just hang out in any way on our boat. There are no free lunches in life. I make no apologies for what I have, and it des not define me other.

Dave
Hey now whats that all about? you don't have to explain yourself to me. If your doing good , well . . . GOOD !
I wish the best for everyone.

Oh ,by the way -

Free lunch friday every week from october through the end of May , waterloo,ny first presbiterian church, main street starting at 11:30am all are welcome, donations accepted but not required.

Or if your in Daytona Beach,Fl.- the "Coalition" (I thinks it's called the coalition for the homeless) has free Lunch EVERYDAY except sunday- just off of ridgewood avenue south of Mason ave. ID required to be served. you don't have to be homeless , just hungry.

On sundays in Daytona Beach,Fl. a few of the churches offer free lunches as well as free sermons.

So, ther actually ARE free lunches in life !

I aint' sayin' I'm just sayin', you know what I'm sayin' ?
Old 10-13-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
WingNwing - Thanks for seeing a bit of what I was attempting to portray in my il-percieved posting. I have to admit I am more inclined to "side" with the opinion and perspective you have expoused and am well aware that you are far from a poor. and did not intend to indicate otherwise. My apology if you were at all offended.
I found it quite interesting you both responded at almost the same time !
I enjoy you writing style and appreciate what I feel is your steady and fair approach to things boating related. As you stated we've had slightly different opinions about things in the past. But no bother , I enjoy exchange w/ those of differing views. It's one of he reasons I come to sailnet, to hears different takes on stuff.
Interesting to know of your personal friendshp w/ Chef2sail , small world !
Also , glad to hear the american dream is working for you. sounds like you made all the right choices at all the right times. Hope it continues for ya.
you have a very nice manner of writing. I'm admitedly envious.
Joe - I wouldn't call your initial posting "ill-conceived" so much as "complex and difficult to articulate in just a few words," which is exactly what you stated at the outset. And it certainly sparked an interesting conversation. Let me see if I can state what I finally got out of it (let me know if I'm understanding you correctly). Were you trying to say that when you saw Chef's and my opposing posts, it seemed enlightening that despite the claims of class warfare, the rich don't all have the exact opinions on any given subject, any more than the middle class do, or the poor do ... in the final analysis there's no 1%, or 47%, and although there may be trends, you can't know what someone is likely to think or do just because you know their income or financial status. In the end, we're all just individual people, and you have to get to know and understand each of us one at a time.

Back to living aboard: I find it interesting is that it seems that what most marinas object to in their stereotypes of liveaboards aren't things that cost money, and that's why I totally don't get their prejudice; this is what I alluded to in my comment about showing up in person so they'd see we would be good citizens of the marina community. The stereotype seems to be someone who's dirty, has their cr@p strewn about the dock near their slip, maybe loud and drunken. (Not fair, but there you are.) Even if you're working two jobs and don't have time to polish your brightwork, it doesn't cost money to be considerate, pick up your trash, groom occasionally, and all that. Maybe this is also part of what you meant in your initial comment about seeing that economics is not a good predictor of how someone would act?

Finally, on a personal note, what would I have to be offended about? I take it as a compliment that you didn't think we were swaggering about showing off wads of cash. (I debated mightily that blog post a year or so ago where we detailed our baseline cruising budget.) "When you've really arrived," my dad used to tell me, "you don't have to shout about it."

I've been following your posts, are you going to be stopping in Annapolis? We could get together for a beer. No blue blazers, I promise!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.