Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road
Opposition to liveaboards

I want to share something with you guys and I want to know IF you have ever experienced anything like this....We are New to the sailing world and love it....we chose to live aboard our boat for MANY reasons...well...we found this awesome Marina in Fernandina Beach that is run by the city......anyway...they told us the live aboard rate was going to go up $200 a month! Is there opposition to live aboards or is this an isolated case?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Attitudes about liveaboards has always been confusing. I can see a charge if the electricity or water is not metered to cover the marina's additional expense. Otherwise, there's no additional expense from the marina's perspective. Who cares whether you are on the boat or not.

Liveaboards are the best security that you can get as they are always there. So there's upside to having them there.
sneuman and Glenfarr like this.
Old 10-08-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

The real source of hostility to live aboards is "ENVY." Its that simple . Anything else is excuses, and nothing more.

Don't envy, emulate!

Follow the envied, not the envious!

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2012

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road

St. Augustine City Marina charges more for liveaboards on moorings and in slips. The City Marina provides pump out service to the boat at the mooring and also provides pickup service from the moored vessel to the marina. Showers and laundry facilities are also available. I think their charge is fair.

Dot and John
MMR and wingNwing like this.
Old 10-08-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

Our marina charges more for liveaboards but I think it is to cover the electric water and pump out because they are not metered. So I think that is only fair. They consider living aboard more than 16 days per month as liveaboards.
I personally have nothing against liveaboards unless they have a big mess on the outside of their boats. Only one at our marina was like that....and I was glad when they left. I kind of felt like if they had to have all that stuff on the deck of their boat they should have just rented a storage building or bought a deck box.

Everyone should take enough pride in their home to keep it clean and attractive. Leaking fuel cans, bags of garbage, old worn out tarps etc. really don't need to be on the decks.

No one wants to look at the beautiful views in a marina or in front of their waterfront home and see a derelict vessel that is not being cleaned or cared for. Keeping your boat clean does not cost a lot of money or even take as much time as keeping up a yard.
Old 10-08-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuinn View Post
I personally have nothing against liveaboards unless they have a big mess on the outside of their boats. Only one at our marina was like that....and I was glad when they left. I kind of felt like if they had to have all that stuff on the deck of their boat they should have just rented a storage building or bought a deck box.

Everyone should take enough pride in their home to keep it clean and attractive. Leaking fuel cans, bags of garbage, old worn out tarps etc. really don't need to be on the decks.

This is very true; however, I don't think of it as confined to liveaboards vs daysailors or other users with houses elsewhere. It's just a case of consideration, and standards.

Our marina also charges a fee of $100/month or more (depending on the boat size) for liveaboards. In addition to power and water usage, liveaboards make more frequent use of amenities like the clubhouse, pool, and gym. My favorite perk, tho, is that if they know you're aboard, they prioritize shoveling the snow off your dock and even off your finger pier. YES, I'd be willing to pay extra for that this winter.
sneuman and T37Chef like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 10-08-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think it makes sense to have a liveaboard fee. Some marinas around me say no way to a liveaboard, others charge and yet others make no differentiation. Examples of marinas views:

No the county does not allow it (funny as several others in the same county do)

No we don't allow live aboard. (nasty place anyway)

Do what you want. (mooring, but no land services at all, except for an portolet)

Sure lots of folks spend the whole season on there boats, we like having folks around as it makes the barbeques more fun. No extra fee. (electric included in slip fee, full bathrooms and amenities including pool and gym)

What do I care, if anyone asks I will just say oh him, yea, he spends a lot of time on the boat no difference to me. No extra fee. (electric included in slip fee full bathrooms)

Great we have not had a live aboard for a few years, would love to have one again. Good for security (not a bad area at all in fact quite isolated) No extra fee. (electric included in slip fee, bathrooms but no showers)

One place even advertizes it but off season is $20 more a foot plus a $50 month charge and the electric is metered.

So there is a big variety. I am not sure some of the marinas really knew that was planning on not having any land address at all. Biggest issue for me is that there are only 2 marinas that have in water during the winter and both are 45 min drive from work but in opposite directions. Parking is not really an issue at either winter place, but might at some of the summer places.
Old 10-08-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We pay the same amount as everyone else here. Our marina meters electricity in the winter but that is for every boat that stays in the water.

Only two manias left in town that allow year round live aboards. I think they will do whatever they can to get the extra revenue in the off season.
Ravenhawk likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 10-08-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I have not experienced any hostility, but I can believe that some ordinary people as well as marina staff might have adverse feelings about the matter.

When I was calling around for rates, inquiring if the marina allowed liveaboards, a few times I got a tentative "Uh...yesss". The first thing I did was assure them that my boat was in good repair, visually appealing, that I am neat and tidy, have no pets, and that I would definitely be sailing, and not permanently attached to the pier. This would usually evoke a relieved sigh and an invitation to come on down.

The marina I settled on is not luxurious. No swimming pool or tennis courts but it is absolutely wonderful. It's small, sheltered, quaint, has a very cool antique club-house, is a short motor to the "raise sail" point, and by and large, I like my neighbors just fine.

I'm blessed/lucky and I know it.
PAULCR1 and Janetmc like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-08-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

living aboard tied to a dock is not the best live aboard experience. living aboard on the hook or while traveling is much more preferred. As per the judgemental attitudes about how a boat is kept and how and what is stored where , none of my bussiness how others choose to keep thier property.
I don't care for everything I see outside the boundaries of my land property but I don't try to dictate how it should look or be kept.
If I see something beyond the boundaries of my property that upsets me I simply avert my eyes to spare myself the agravation. Or to put it more plainly, I mind my own bussiness.
If I wanted to harass my neighbors I'd get a house in a homeowners assoc.

The bottom line is, my boats travel and when I don't get the happy happy reception I take my boat and my pennies elsewhere as they both seem to work well just about anywhere.
case in point- St. Augustine -- don't need it , just float right on by- - - --------

Last edited by joethecobbler; 10-08-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: cuz