Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Dehumidifier in wet/rain PNW?

I'd think you'd need to get the humidity down to 60% or so, before you start feeling better, and have drier living conditions.

I wonder if that unit can get it down that low with 4 people breathing in there, to say nothing of cooking. Maybe if you combine better ventilation with the dehumidifier?
TheTardis likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road

So the numbers in the morning are almost 1 cup or water in the machine, about 87% humidity, which the fact that it went down, not staying the same or up, gives me hope.
Old 11-01-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
I've stayed around 60 percent. As an experiment I turned mine off a week ago. I'm over 80 percent again. I think it will take a lot to get the humidity down to start, but keeping it lower is easier.

Jeremy
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Edit:I had to install a real dehumidifier this week in a boat that leaked. It is pulling an amazing amount of water, 20liters a day I think(3 full tanks).
Totally different, it's pulled the boat down to 60 when combined with a big blower.
Overkill for me, but I might try it in my boat once we're done, just to pull me back down before I turn on the small quiet one again.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 11-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

This is really encouraging. We have a regular household unit from Home Depot, just two aboard, breathing and cooking and all. Heating the air dries it out some and helps, but still, we often pull out a quart a day in our 33-footer in Maryland.

I'd love it if we could find something more space efficient than our current unit, if it worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

When I restart my dehumidifier for the fall season it tends to fill up in a week, but 2 weeks like that it seems to go into 'maintenance mode' where the water recovered is much reduced, often going a month before needing to be emptied. We do put a bit of heat on board to prevent the dehu from freezing up.

Keep in mind, everyone, that heat doesn't really 'dry things out' directly.. warm air can actually support more humidity than cool.. it just stays in the air as opposed to condensing. For example warm air against a really cold window really gets to be 'dripping' because of the available moisture in the warm air.
wingNwing likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-02-2012

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Edit:I had to install a real dehumidifier this week in a boat that leaked. It is pulling an amazing amount of water, 20liters a day I think(3 full tanks).
Totally different, it's pulled the boat down to 60 when combined with a big blower.
Overkill for me, but I might try it in my boat once we're done, just to pull me back down before I turn on the small quiet one again.
So what kind of dehumidifier is this??? We are going to be going out of town for a few days and I wonder if it would be possible to rent something like this to put in while we are gone? Assuming that it would you know, fit in our hatch, not blow the circuits, and that I could move it by myself. I was thinking of calling the local 'tool rental companies' in town to see if they might have something.
Old 11-02-2012
Concrete Highway Sailor

lostsheep is on a distinguished road

Harbor Freight Tools has the inter-locking foam anti-fatigue mats fairly cheap. A pkg of 4 is just $9.99. Black only, though....
Old 11-02-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
65 pint from home depot. I'd get the smaller one, this was urgent, and combined with a blower.
I got the premier brand one. 3 reasons over lg. Either will do, both have house fittings to drain to bilge.
1 has a decent handle
2I like that air goes in the front and out the top.
3 double the warranty length.

Rental was the same as buying after a week or two. Never understood adding heat and just moving air around in a sealed boat.

Old 11-02-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
65 pint from home depot. I'd get the smaller one, this was urgent, and combined with a blower.
I got the premier brand one. 3 reasons over lg. Either will do, both have house fittings to drain to bilge.
1 has a decent handle
2I like that air goes in the front and out the top.
3 double the warranty length.

Rental was the same as buying after a week or two. Never understood adding heat and just moving air around in a sealed boat.

In my home and garage I have had 4 or 5 dehumidifiers and I think the warranty is a big issue. It seems to me that the new electronically controlled units are not nearly as reliable. I had an old one that seemed to be work for ever. The newer ones seem to have controllers go out. If I were to buy another one, I would get the extended warranty as I have not seen a new style last more than a year or two. I like the idea of Sears as they actually have service centers locally.
Old 11-02-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road

I think this is the one a couple of friends put on their boats a few years back - St.St. small size - drains into a sink -

sorry can't remember where they bought them - they both said they shopped around a bit -
Dry Pal Dehumidifier / Dehumidifiers / Marine Division / Home - Mermaid Manufacturing - Home of Mermaid Marine Air Conditioning

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.