Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Re: Dehumidifier in wet/rain PNW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
I'd love it if we could find something more space efficient than our current unit, if it worked.

Hunter Marine was installing a Dehumidifier in their higher end boats about 15 years ago. I do not know if was a unit that shared the blower as part of the A/C unit or a stand alone dehumidifier strictly on its own only designed for Hunter. Does anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsaildude View Post
I think this is the one a couple of friends put on their boats a few years back - St.St. small size - drains into a sink -

sorry can't remember where they bought them - they both said they shopped around a bit -
Dry Pal Dehumidifier / Dehumidifiers / Marine Division / Home - Mermaid Manufacturing - Home of Mermaid Marine Air Conditioning
Seems like you would need multiple units for a boat of any size.

Old 11-03-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdi View Post
Seems like you would need multiple units for a boat of any size.
.... especially with three hulls!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-07-2013
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1

How often do you run your de-humidifier? Does it differ on where you are located, if you're docked, out at sea, etc.? It probably depends on where you are, how much humidity is in the air, and if you're living aboard. I did see that you run it at night. My husband and I want to live-aboard, and we're just uncertain how often to turn on the dehumdfyr.

years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
Old 01-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Living aboard in the wet season here in the PNW I'd expect you'd want to run it pretty well full time. We leave ours running (non liveaboard) at 50% and it keeps things nicely dry... with two or more people breathing below the load would be higher and I'd expect you'd need to run it steadily... or at least every day if its too noisy at night.

Once the boat is 'dried out' we get very little water in the reservoir even now... but it's different with the moisture from people on board all the time. In the off season the cabin RH will go up to 80 -90% overnight with two of us sleeping and no dehu running....

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-07-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Living aboard a 30'. I keep two small electric (west marine brand) dehumidifiers running full time. I'm tied to a dock with shore power though. When it's dry outside I crack the fwd hatch and open all of the other ones in hopes that air circulation will keep things fresher upon my return. It seems to be working. One dehumidifier is in the V berth, the other I move around near the aft qtr berth or the galley. I was using one but discovered mold/mildew on a couple things stored in the v berth, so that's why one is dedicated just to that space now. There's a little skylight up there that tends to leak if it's raining hard.
Old 01-07-2013
GennyWinch

We are actually in the Galveston area. It's humid, but not as much as PNW, at least I think. I'm really not sure of that. It's just very hot in the summer in the Houston areas, with the humidity, feels like you're in a sauna. I believe we'll be leaving our hatches and windows open at night, except for in bad weather. We do have an AC/heater, so maybe that will help. But as you say, with two of us sleeping and living on board all the time, we may have to turn it on during the colder weather when we can't open the ports and hatches.

years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
Old 01-07-2013
GennyWinch

We are going to invest in those little "awnings" that go over the opening window ports...that way we can leave the ports open even when its raining. Is there a reason for closing up the boat at night? We just planned to leave the ports open if the weather is nice.

Mark Twain
Old 01-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsullyec1 View Post
..... Is there a reason for closing up the boat at night? We just planned to leave the ports open if the weather is nice.
No reason not to leave ports open, esp if they're 'rain proof'... When we sailed in the Caribbean we left hatches and ports open for all the usual reasons.. but every night there was at least one 'chinese fire drill' of running about closing things up for a squall, and another one to open up again once it'd passed often only minutes later...

Old 01-07-2013

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road

We are living aboard a 29 ft with 4 people full time ( two are small kids) we have resorted to running a large Sears brand pretty much 24/7. When we go out, then they are turned off because of no shore power. But, if I could run it, I would, because even one night and it is noticeably wetter inside.

Depending on the outside temperature we leave things open during the day. We often have our companion way boards out but the canvas covering over it. Or sometimes if windy/stormy only one board out. We do this to get fresh air, but it is a trade off because we are also running the heater and trying to not loose too much heat.

In the winter we close it up at night to try to keep the heat in and any water out. We do have a solar fan in the V berth and their is space around the boards and the cover, so we are never 'air tight' or anything. But we try to turn off the heater at night, or at least turn it down a bit.

This is in the PNW winter. Other times of year are different.