SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dehumidifier in wet/rain PNW?

17K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  tap 
#1 ·
We are a family of 4 living on a 30ft, we just moved on a few months ago - we have the two kids each in a quarter berth. We are moored on Puget Sound, and let's just say that the rain has begun.

We are looking into getting a dehumidifier and I am trying to figure what will work for us best. When I look at the 30 pt models - well, they look HUGE. I seriously don't think we would have any place to possibly put it. I can see 1 pt and 4 pt models on line, but can't see them in person anywhere.

Both of the kids are getting 'rained on' in their berth while sleeping - we are having other water condensation issues. We have put up insulation.

I just wonder if anyone has any experience with the tiny models of dehumidifiers - will they work? Will it not be big enough and another source of frustration? Is there something between 1pt and 30 pts that will be a great addition?

#38 ·
We are going to invest in those little "awnings" that go over the opening window ports...that way we can leave the ports open even when its raining. Is there a reason for closing up the boat at night? We just planned to leave the ports open if the weather is nice.

#39 ·
..... Is there a reason for closing up the boat at night? We just planned to leave the ports open if the weather is nice.
No reason not to leave ports open, esp if they're 'rain proof'... When we sailed in the Caribbean we left hatches and ports open for all the usual reasons.. but every night there was at least one 'chinese fire drill' of running about closing things up for a squall, and another one to open up again once it'd passed often only minutes later...

#40 ·
We are living aboard a 29 ft with 4 people full time ( two are small kids) we have resorted to running a large Sears brand pretty much 24/7. When we go out, then they are turned off because of no shore power. But, if I could run it, I would, because even one night and it is noticeably wetter inside.

Depending on the outside temperature we leave things open during the day. We often have our companion way boards out but the canvas covering over it. Or sometimes if windy/stormy only one board out. We do this to get fresh air, but it is a trade off because we are also running the heater and trying to not loose too much heat.

In the winter we close it up at night to try to keep the heat in and any water out. We do have a solar fan in the V berth and their is space around the boards and the cover, so we are never 'air tight' or anything. But we try to turn off the heater at night, or at least turn it down a bit.

This is in the PNW winter. Other times of year are different.

#43 ·
..Guess I feel ripped off then. When I walk into a boat store and ask to see their dehumidifiers and they sell me heaters that suck in air, "dry" it, and blow it out. Shucks. Gift card money poorly used.

I have a couple of the "No Damp" buckets, they get moisture that's for sure. The warning label about it tipping over is a little scary.

#44 ·
There ARE small dehumidifiers.. they use peltier cells to cool a plate, the air is blown across the plate, moisture condenses and 'drier' air exhausts. A small, inefficient refrigeration dryer. If your unit has a reservoir that you need to empty periodically it is a dehumidifier. If it just warms the air then, well, it's not. The reality of course is that warmer air will hold/keep more moisture suspended in it...

We are using a Sears unit with a 20 pint reservoir. It's about 20" tall, weighs about 15 lbs or so.. maybe more. It goes in the car while we're sailing, but lives aboard exc for summer.

One other thing.. ours will restart after a power failure on its own.. some won't.

#45 · (Edited)
I just want to clarify, when I (the original poster) mentioned a 'small dehumidifier' I am talking about something like this:

And when I (the OP) am talking about a 'large dehumidifier' I am talking about something like this http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...Id=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UOuk3ndeCpZ

I think I know what you are talking about pdgaltair and Philzy3985 - is it something like this? WEST MARINE Air Dryer with Fan, Dehumidifier at West Marine Because we almost got something like this used off of craigslist but then speaking with the person and looking over the product specifications - it is a little heater IMHO, NOT a dehumidifier.

#46 ·
Has anyone tried a desiccant wheel based dehumidifier? I came across this page about one and it seems like a good fit for my boat, since it works in cold temperatures. I don't live aboard or heat my boat. So in the winter it's going to be 45-35 degrees inside most of the time.

Typically dehumidifiers use a cold plate, cooled by either a peltier element in the tiny 1pt ones and a compressor in the large ones. The air is cooled on the plate and some water condenses out to drip down into the bucket.

If the air is already cold, then the cold plate can't cool it as much and thus is less effective. The cold plate can also ice up. Most compressor dehumidifiers list a minimum operating temperature of 42F for this reason.

A desiccant wheel dehumidifier blows the air through a desiccant, then the desiccant is heated in an area where the water will be captured. They can also work down to just above freezing and continue to work in cold temperatures.

Without a compressor they are also lighter and quieter, but use more power for the heater.

There seems to be a few modules sold in Europe, like the one in the link above, but I can't find them for sale in the US. The only one I can find for sale here is the SPT SD-014V

Compared to the typical 30pt compressor models it's lighter, 18# vs 31# and works down to 33.8 degrees vs 41. But it uses more power and is only rated at 12pt/day instead of 30. Of course it's less than 41 degrees on my boat now so a compressor model would be doing 0 pt.

I can't find any reviews for this thing. Anyone used one? Or another like it? Are their hidden problems, like the desiccant fills with salt and stops working when used on a boat in salt water, or they use way too much power for how much water they can extract?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.