Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012

Hopefulliveaboard is on a distinguished road
Re: Self sufficent energy

Nice thank you very much. Hmm think that would be something I should try setting up myself or only a professional install by marina workers? Or electricians?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012

Omfg that katadyne desalinator would be uber wonderful!
Old 10-27-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Simple set ups with 2 300w panels and a MPPT controller to charge a 4 pack of 6v batteries are easy (or at least not difficult) to set up and install.
Total cost - about 1500 for the panels and MPPT, and 2200 for the arch to mount it on.
The batteries add about 600 more for a total of 4300 or so bucks. Round that up to 5k just because it's a boat and things always cost more.

That's the current plan on my 38 footer. My calculations say I can expect to make between 140ah and 250+ ah of charge depending on where we are (more the further south we go). Those calculations are backed up by my buddy, he designs power systems for NASA satellites.

I'm space constrained on batteries or I'd add more as 4 6v's (type GC) 'only' give me 460ah of battery capacity, or 230ah usable. During the day time I'll be shoving in more than I use..

Since my daily calculated usage is less than/about 150ah I'm self sufficient.
If for some reason I come up short, I'll add a panel and a pair of 6v's (somewhere) and use that to power the fridge on a the big bank, since that's the biggest user. I'll then run house (lights and such) off the smaller bank.

That's just solar, a wind gen can add to or double that.

Katadyne's are indeed wonderful - 8 amps a hour for 3 gallons, two hours a day for 6 gal (all two reasonable people need) and 16ah of 'free' water. Of course that's 5,000 bucks to buy and install - which buys a LOT of water off the pier.
Old 10-27-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

25k...
Lol
Old 10-27-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulliveaboard View Post
20k ? Ive found several sites for juicing up rv's and vans but not so much for sailboats any good links or sites?
hamilton ferris is a good "boat" friendly alternative power vendor, and knowledgeable as well...
Old 10-27-2012

Sage advice many thanks
Old 10-29-2012

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can you ballpark for a fridge, computer,lights,heater,ac,waterheater, phone charger, tv dvd, and any pumps that need to run?
Heater can run off of propane, wood or diesel. AC just forget about, use small fans and proper ventilation. Lights can be done with LEDs that just sip small amounts of power. The phone is also a real low power draw for charging.

For a computer look at netbooks and tablets. They both use very small amounts of power. The TV/DVD will use more power, but look at LED LCD TVs and they don't use a lot of power, actually. My 24 inch TV only draws 40 watts and is a nice 720p HD TV. As for the DVD, you can just use your netbook with HDMI out.

The fridge is a larger power draw, but there are efficient options out there and you can save power just by turning it down some. Cool beer with a lovely view beats cold beer while stuck on land.

No one can really ballpark anything though because it depends a lot on your boat's design and how you decide to build things out. Is there room for solar without an arch? Is there space for a diesel heater and maybe a generator?

You need to narrow down your specific needs, get an idea about how much each system will draw in power and then decide how to best outfit to get you by.
Old 10-30-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Can you ballpark for a fridge, computer,lights,.....heater,ac,waterheater,....... phone charger, tv dvd, and any pumps that need to run?
Remove the heater, air conditioner & water heater and plans of electric cooking as well and then you can support your needs with less than $5K. Easy to do in a moderate climate. I'd forget about harnessing wind and solar for a hybrid propulsion system and try a system of aluminum spars and stainless steel shrouds to support an array of sails to harness the wind. 'plenty of information about these rigs on the internet!
Capnblu and killarney_sailor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew

Tags
cruising , liveaboard , power