Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012
They know me as such...

alikuban is on a distinguished road
Some Basic Info Is Needed...

Dear Friends,

I am very new to this forum. I am very sure that the same topic had been discussed/answered for millon times... Also I know that some of you will get angry about the repetetion of the same matter...

OK... My point is this:

A few years back, I have adopted a cat from the streets. Very intensly checked from all resources and decided that he is a Siberian (especialy his character; acting exactly like a dog)...

I haven't taken him aboard since his arrival. But for the winter preperations I have be on board for the coming month, including a few days on nearby coves. And, I have to take him with me, and train him for the next season. I sail a Sadler32.

What I need from yourselves is, to learn the VERY VERY BASICS of having a cat on-board.
I would be glad if you could please enlighten me very briefly, what I should do and not to do.

Many thanks in advance...

Salty regards,

Ali
Old 11-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Some Basic Info Is Needed...

My experience of cats onboard has been largely positive. Some cats will simply find a corner to huddle in if it it stormy weather though I did have a cat with a propensity for sitting on the coachroof when it got a bit bumpy. This should not be encouraged. Same cat got seasick a couple of times but always recovered quickly.

Biggest problem I have with cats on board is the kitty litter. Even cleaned regularly it still smells.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 11-04-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Cats, unlike dogs, can't be trained - to stay in the cockpit for instance.
They also occasionally do fall, slip etc.
I like the idea of a cat on board, just don't want to go through the emotional grief of loosing one over the side some night.
Old 11-04-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Cats are in fact, trainable. We taught ours to come when we called her name. She learned that when we were underway, the comfiest place to be was near the base of the mast - low and centerline, where rocking was the least. Much prefer cats to dogs aboard - cats don't need to be walked ashore a couple of times a day!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 11-05-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Is the cat litter box trained? Once that is accomplished, the only major thing, is to provide a way for them to get back on board if they fall off. Many hang a strip of carpet over the side so they can climb up if they go overboard at the dock when unattended.
Old 12-19-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Cats do have a problem with falling in the water. If you are at the dock, they do not understand the boat moves and can miss a jump ashore or onto the boat. You should have a very large (2") line over the side so it can get back aboard. Netting could be a really great option, though a lot of work. We lost a kitten overboard on a trip to Hawaii; it was so sad.
Kitty litter is a huge problem. It gets in limber holes and pumps and as it is clay, it kinda gunks things up. I have tried to use the crystals instead.
All that said, I had a cat aboard my boats for 18 years and she did OK. Though she'd never lived ashore, I'm pretty sure she always dreamed of a life ashore.