Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Salon cushion redo

Captains,

I am not sure what your issue is. On one hand you say the cushions look and feel wonderful, and the next sentence say they are uncomfortable. Can you clarify the issue?
Old 11-20-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Change out the foam. It is not cheap though. Use two different density foams. The top layer should be less dense. Check with Sailrite. They can help you out with this.
I agree... I'm redoing all the interior cushions on my boat and the yellow high density foam is too stiff so I am cutting the top 1-2 inches off the foam and bonding the top layer with 1-2 inches of lower density foam... also added 1" of polyester fill that comes in rolls bonded to the low density foam... it is now plush and soft on our bottoms but springy due to the high density foam underneath... all covered in brand new Royal Navy blue cotton duck... looks great... oh and I'm sewing the cushion covers myself...
dsullyec1 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainsWench View Post
No chuckles, trying to get cushions more comfortable as in a chair would be. I was afraid if the cushions were thicker, then the table may be in the way. I think we will try getting thicker cushions as you suggested. Thanks
Ok .... remember that lounge chairs have some form of springing under the cushions be that coils, webbing or other systems. Boat cushions sit on plywood so you will never get the same comfort no matter what you do. Boat cushions are also rarely shaped to provide decent back support.

Otoh re making the cusions out of two or even three different foam densities can make for surprisingly comfortable seating while a loose lumber support can solve the back problem.

I also like wrapping the top of the cushions in Dacron wadding. (Dacron is a trade name, there are non Dacron products that do teh same thing.)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-07-2012
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1

We're having a boat surveyed that is in good shape except for the salon settees. They both are in bad need of replacing. I am not really much of a seamstress, and I know nothing of how to make cushions. Are they hard to put together for the lackey? Otherwise, I may use the advice on this link about hiring someone to do them for us. We don't need the berths done, just the settees. I like the idea of the 2 or even 3 layers of density foams to make for comfortable cushions. Glad I read this link! We'll be staying in the Watergate Marina in Kemah.
Old 12-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A good upholsterer could have some ideas that would help.. Different foam densities, additional lumbar support,contoured foams all leading to more comfort. We have some similar issues and having an assortment of throw pillows helps a lot. As a bonus we stuff the pillows into the shelving port and stbd to keep everything in place underway.
chef2sail likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-07-2012
GennyWinch

Thanks for the tips, Faster! I like the idea of throw pillows, too. I wonder if anyone on this thread knows of an upholsterer in Kemah, TX? That's where we'll be located. How much do they charge for settee cusions? We looked up the "The Foam Store" that someone mentioned on this thread, and it's in Houston. We may have to drive over there to get the foam...unless someone knows of a store in Kemah. We were thinking of using white Nauga-soft to use as the material, which looks like leather, and says it's very sturdy. Any comments on this?
Old 12-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Costs for upholstery are wildly varied.. the last time we redid ours (7 years back or so) we had estimates ranging from $2500 TO $6000 new foam/fabric for the entire boat (V, settees, settee backs aft double and nav stn). We used the lower cost vendor, did have to drive an hour or so each way and are very pleased with the results. The person we used was a private individual that worked out of her garage. We had used her before on a previous boat so we knew what we were getting.

We did the V berth in Sunbrella because occasionally we dropped wet sails or an inflatable down there.. it's primarily our guest quarters otherwise... the rest of the boat is in microfleece..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-07-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

I too had $3500-4000 for estimates so I decided to do them myself... I'd done the upholstery for my two cars earlier so I had some skills going into this... the upholstery on the sailboat was much, much easier to work on... I bought all the materials and extra foam for less than $300 and with the sewing machine in the boat I took apart the old cushions using them as patterns and made new ones discarding the metal zippers and using velcro as there is no chance of rusting the zippers (I could have gone with nylon zippers but the cost was astronomical ).

The foam was cut with nicro-thermo wire strung between two wooden studs... as the wire heated the foam was run through allowing 1-2 inches of foam to be removed (clean and sharp cutting like a hot knife on butter) and the new lower density foam adhesively bonded to the high density foam... then the polyester batting bonded to the lower density foam... worked great... in the v-berth I made a sunbrella cover with elastic band that covers the cotton duck in the entire v-birth. Vinyl is also under the sunbrella to prevent water from going into the v-birth cushions and keeps them dry when we store our wet sails in there... otherwise the v-birth cushions will need to be removed and allowed to dry... and who has that time?

It looks like a new boat inside and the color combination and softness of the cushions is like no other.... worth doing the different density foam. Now tackling the teak and holly sole... darn varnishing!
Old 12-07-2012
GennyWinch

Thanks Guitar Guy! Wow, quite an ordeal with the re-upholstering of your boat! Sounds like it came out very nice. What material did you use for your settees? I also like the idea of velcro. Makes life a lot easier and can be re-placed easily when it gets old. I MIGHT try it on my own, it does sound a lot less expensive. I don't really have a very good sewing machine though. How much time did it take you to do this?
Old 12-07-2012
GennyWinch

Faster, I see that you live in BC, so I won't have access to this individual that you hired to make your settees/etc. Darn! She sounds good, too. Our V looks ok for now. We'll probably cover it later. Just the settees look pretty used and abused. The microfleece idea sounds interesting. Does that work out well for durability, ability to clean easily, etc? How much of it did you have to buy for the settees? We liked the Nauga-soft because it wears extremely well, (according to the manufacturer) and looks very much like leather.

Thanks for your feedback on this. I was reading Guitarguys post and he has encouraged me to try to do it myself, but I'm nervous about it, first of all because I'm not the best seamstress, and second, because my sewing machine is ancient and doesn't always work well...so I could be looking at a nightmare waiting to happen. We'll see what happens.