Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Salon cushion redo

Dsully... my wife is an accomplished seamstress and quilter with excellent equipment and she chose not to do this herself.. but that's her.. I think the scale of the project and our living in a condo were factors.

The microfleece was recommended precisely because spills clean up easily without staining if you get on it right away. The cushions are nearly 8 years old now.
This pic when they were recent:

This pic was taken a week or so back..

jameswilson29 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Thanks... the material I used was Royal navy cotton duck... just like sunbrella fabric only not waterproof but much softer and much cheaper ($7.00/yd compared to $21/yd for sunbrella)... you can buy this material at any fabric store... the foam was bought there as well only it was a little more expensive than what could have been bought at Walmart... it took me about two weeks to put everything together (most of the time was spent having the foam in sterilization to kill any mold spores and make them like new after wash and dry) ... they came out great and clean smelling!

Faster... your salon looks great... although looking at your cushions they don't have many curves and look square, mine had many curves and angles... was a bear but they turned out great... +1 on the velcro.... makes them easy to work with and they'll last forever... they are also adjustable to remove wrinkles in the fabric... my cushions are very tight without looseness or wrinkles. Everyone comments on how great they look!
Old 12-07-2012
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Thanks... the material I used was Royal navy cotton duck... just like sunbrella fabric only not waterproof but much softer and much cheaper ($7.00/yd compared to $21/yd for sunbrella)... you can buy this material at any fabric store... the foam was bought there as well only it was a little more expensive than what could have been bought at Walmart... it took me about two weeks to put everything together (most of the time was spent having the foam in sterilization to kill any mold spores and make them like new after wash and dry) ... they came out great and clean smelling!

Faster... your salon looks great... although looking at your cushions they don't have many curves and look square, mine had many curves and angles... was a bear but they turned out great... +1 on the velcro.... makes them easy to work with and they'll last forever... they are also adjustable to remove wrinkles in the fabric... my cushions are very tight without looseness or wrinkles. Everyone comments on how great they look!
Hi Guitarguy,

Do you have pics of your settees? I would love to see them. How do you put the foam in sterilization? That stumped me. Yes, Faster's salon looks very nice. Love the color of their settees and was thinking of going that color as well, but we're going for white. We need to lighten up our salon as it seems kinda' dark in there. Our cushions are square, too. Is there a way to make them curved? I don't know how to do that. Would like to see how you did that trick with the velcro. Are you close by Kemah, TX? Probably not, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-07-2012
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Dsully... my wife is an accomplished seamstress and quilter with excellent equipment and she chose not to do this herself.. but that's her.. I think the scale of the project and our living in a condo were factors.

The microfleece was recommended precisely because spills clean up easily without staining if you get on it right away. The cushions are nearly 8 years old now.
This pic when they were recent:

This pic was taken a week or so back..

Thanks for posting pics of your salon. It really is lovely inside. What kind of boat do you have? I love the blue material you chose. It's so pretty with the wood inside. Your boat appears to be in very good condition. The boat we're buying is older (a 1983 S2-11C) and the salon is fairly dark inside, so we decided to go with white to lighten up the space. Well, it's good to know that your wife decided to go with a seamstress to do this work...that makes me think probably I should go that route as well. Especially since I'm NOT real talented at sewing. I can pretty much do anything I set my mind to do, but don't know if it's worth the hassle this time. I want it to look good, too, and it may not if I do it. Thanks again for the pics. I enjoyed looking.
Old 12-09-2012
Concrete Highway Sailor

lostsheep is on a distinguished road

New foam is a bit spendy these days. Quite often foam may be revitalized by steaming. A simple garment steamer will re-moisturize the cushions, but a better method is to actually inject the steam into the center core of the cushion. Look for an upholstery shop with a pressure steamer. Also, in my shop, I always wrap every cushion with a dacron layer. This provides a bit more loft, and encourages air flow. Dacron may be purchased in a roll, usually 24 inches wide and about 20 feet long. Often you may find a shop that will sell you a slab for a reasonable price.
I use a spray (you can use a canned version) of general purpose adhesive found in most fabric stores. If the dacron is a good thickness, it can be split so not quite as thick. Spray glue on both the cushion and the dacron, place the dacron on a table and position the cushion so there is enough dacron to fold over the sides. I like to start the dacron at the top rear, and run it completely over the nose and under the bottom of the cushion. After the dacron is bonded to the cushion, trim the dacron as needed. I usually make a running stitch on each side of the dacron to keep it in place. No fancy stitching, just a simple long basting stitch.
To restuff the cushion into the cover, the easiest way is to put the dacron covered cushion int a cheap, thin garbage bag, with the open end at the rear side of the cushion. Gather the excess bag, making a temporary seal. Then use a vacuum cleaner (with a hose or tube attachment) to suck the air out of the bag. The collapsed cushion can be inserted into the cover, then simply tear the bag and pull it out. A bit of adhesive or masking tape along the path of the zipper (on the dacron) will aid in keeping the dacron out of the zipper.
Old 12-09-2012
Concrete Highway Sailor

You may also try creating a roll at the nose of the seat cushion. After plumping and restuffing, as above, measure in approximately 5 inches from the front edge.
Purchase some nice buttons (the kind with an wire eye on the back, not a flat button) and some heavy polyester twine. A good 12" needle is needed here, they're not expensive. I like to put the buttons about 6" apart. Plot out the positions of the buttons, using chalk to mark the locations of the buttons.
Thread the twine thru the needle, and one button. Pierce the cushion at the marked spot on the top cushion face, then thread another button on the bottom of the cushion. Make a slip knot and pull. The idea is to sink both buttons into the cushion from opposite sides. When you have sunk the buttons about an inch into the cushion, finish off the slip knot so it won't let go. Do this at every pre-measured spot.
By putting the buttons nearer the front edge, rather than the center of the cushon, it creates a 'roll' near the front, providing more support under the knees. The dacron will give a tad more softness as well.
You may be able to make the original cushions more comfortable like this, without totally re-making the covers.
Old 12-09-2012
Concrete Highway Sailor

Lovely blue fabric. A dacron inner wrap will help plump them up.
Old 12-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Great suggestions, LostSheep! Where were you when we redid our cushions last year? Came out pretty good for a couple of amateurs (and saved us those megabucks), but as you can see we got some wrinkles.

Oh, and if you want the before, its here: http://lifeafloatarchives.blogspot.c...ball-gown.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Last edited by wingNwing; 12-09-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add link to "before" pix
Old 12-09-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

My wife is in the middle of redoing our cushions we purchase good fabric and new foat and she is able to dart the folds on the curves and crazy angles and is using buttons to pull in the wrinkes on the longer pieces.

We are expecting this will change to look of our cabin immensly.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-09-2012
Concrete Highway Sailor

I had an upholstery shop for a few years, doing lots of furniture, cars and an occasional boat. I moved to Oregon, and have been a truck owner-operator for the past 11 years. I still dabble in upholstery and canvas, though. I would like to get out of trucking, buy a nice blue water boat (I've been drooling over a Hans Christian 36 and a Union 36), and live aboard while learning to sail.
I'm kicking round the idea of a 'mobile' canvas/upholstery shop. Something like an enclosed trailer with fold down work tables and a generator for power.
I'm thinking that a shop that comes to the boat is better than a shop that requires moving the work to the shop.
eherlihy likes this.