Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012

CaptainsWench is on a distinguished road
Salon cushion redo

Hello everyone, to catch u guys up, we bought our 42CC Beneteau a few months ago and getting ready to leave for the Bahamas. We are docked in Kemah TX, Waterford Marina. After spending the last 3 months getting use to liveaboard,I have a major issue that needs correcting before leaving. Even though the cushions in the salon area look and feel wonderful, they are sooooo uncomfortable. I do not sew. What has others done to make the cushions more comfortable?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Salon cushion redo

Change out the foam. It is not cheap though. Use two different density foams. The top layer should be less dense. Check with Sailrite. They can help you out with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 11-19-2012

Salon cushion redo

Thanks for the info, but has anyone totally removed the salon table and place 2 chairs in the place of the salon table? If so, do you have pictures of the end results and how did you accomplish this?
Old 11-19-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Keep in mind that you can use any upholstery company to do the change - it doesn't have to be a marine related company.
Opening up your cushions on the back and changing the foam is not near as bad as having them remade. Check for a local "JoAnn's" or whatever your area has for a major sewing shop and make a visit, maybe they have a bulletin board that has folks listed that do that kind of work on the side. The folks at the sewing store can give you advice and how to's if you want to do it yourself - right up to what kind of foam, in what thickness and layering you need to get the cushions to be what you want.
IF you want to re-do the cushions Beneteau builds in the US, and may have shared out patterns. Check around and see if they have a company that works with them and you may find a less expensive option.
When we had our previous/previous boat redone (a hunter) we found a company that did the entire set from bow to stern for 1800 bucks, quality work and everything fit exactly because they had the pattern already.
Old 11-19-2012

Salon cushion redo

Thanks chuckles, i will look into it, but do you know anyone that ditched the salon table and just made 2 comfortable chairs or recliners that would not interfere with the items that are under the cushions?
Old 11-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

CaptainsWench ....

You are suggesting if I'm correct that it is not really the quality of the cushioning but the overal design of the seating, as in it is not close enough to a proper sitting room lounge chair ?

I'm not at all sure what you are planning but there are a number of European builders who have chairs to starboard and settee/dinette to port. Two builders to check out would be Malo (http://www.maloyachts.se)and Hallberg Rassy (Hallberg-Rassy - Sturdy construction, superb craftsmanship and signature seaworthiness).

Otoh, if what you are planning is what it seems on the surface I confess that to me it sounds really dumb but maybe I am misunderstanding your intentions.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-19-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

We looked at a whitby 42 that had one of the settee's pulled out and two (seriously) automobile seats installed (seat belts and all).

Not a look I favor.

Pulling out the table means you are pulling out the only large flat space available. Not a option I'd like either.
Old 11-20-2012

markpillow is on a distinguished road

if you do want new foam, check out THE FOAM STORE. they have the best prices I've found around here(kemah). Is the seatback too striaght, or the bottoms too shallow? Maybe you could go with thinner foam in the backs, or cut to a wedge shape. That would need only minor adjustments to the covers. For extending the bottoms....it can be done. As for the other. I don't have a table; I can put out lawn chairs in my salon. I'm thinking of hanging a disco ball up in here; but, what I really, really want is a table! just sayin...
c-22 hull#13242
s.v. reprieve
74 morgan OI 33
Old 11-20-2012

Salon cushion redo

No chuckles, trying to get cushions more comfortable as in a chair would be. I was afraid if the cushions were thicker, then the table may be in the way. I think we will try getting thicker cushions as you suggested. Thanks
Old 11-20-2012

Salon cushion redo

Thanks Mark, but I do want new foam.