Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Water Filteration

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
I don't trust chlorine in my drinking water, tanks, or anywhere else... it belongs in pools and for bleaching white clothes only! I myself would NEVER put any chlorine tablets or chlorine drops of any kind into my fresh water holding tanks... I flush them out frequently with filtered fresh water and have never had the slime or bacterial growth... as long as the incoming water supply is filtered of any particulates and most of the phosphates (food for bacteria and slime) there will be no algal slime or nasties... been doing this for marine aquariums most my life... only other pure water supply is reverse osmosis and that is not doable on our boats... huge energy/water waste... Chlorine is really not good for your health as I said... can't post the link due to my posting privilage but here is a good read:

internethealthlibrary DOT com/Environmental-Health/Chlorine-and-cancer DOT htm
The US Department of Health recommends using 1 Teaspoon (.17 Fl oz) of unscented 5-6% household bleach per 10 gallons of water for purification of stored water. In our case, we use (have been using for 37+ years) 1/2 ounce per 50 gallons (2 each 50 gallon tanks), a concentration of .005% sodium hypochlorite, without evident difficulty to health or equipment.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-10-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The US Department of Health recommends using 1 Teaspoon (.17 Fl oz) of unscented 5-6% household bleach per 10 gallons of water for purification of stored water. In our case, we use (have been using for 37+ years) 1/2 ounce per 50 gallons (2 each 50 gallon tanks), a concentration of .005% sodium hypochlorite, without evident difficulty to health or equipment.
Sorry but I filter the water going in the tank... coming out of the tank and use carbon/filter media for using the water for general use... there is NO chlorine for me to ingest period... to each his own... but I'm not going by the 'US Dept. of Health' to recommend how much chlorine, iodines, perchlorates, dioxin, phenols, pyrethrins, or any other petroleum distillates I should be injesting... YES the US Dept. of Health determines how much is tolerable in your water or foods... do you trust them? I don't so that is why I try to avoid any chlorine or other chemicals in my drinking or cooking supply...
Old 12-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I use different grades of water.

From "best" (most potable) to worst ...
How do you distill your own water?

As far as water from a stream, there is no way to know if it is contaminated. It doesn't take a farm upstream to do it. Ever hear of beaver fever? You can get it from the cleanest looking water. A simple backpacking water filter pump can eliminate this. In fact, you could filter water downstream from that cow farm too and very safely drink it. You test these things by putting food die in some water and it comes out clear on the other end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-10-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As far as water from a stream, there is no way to know if it is contaminated. It doesn't take a farm upstream to do it. Ever hear of beaver fever? You can get it from the cleanest looking water. A simple backpacking water filter pump can eliminate this. In fact, you could filter water downstream from that cow farm too and very safely drink it. You test these things by putting food die in some water and it comes out clear on the other end.
I agree you can't safely drink unfiltered water from a stream, that is why I said I would never do that in my post. What I did say is that I would drink water from a spring when I know the source, meaning I have walked the length back to the ridge line. Sure, there's probably the occasional deer poop in it, but it's nothing at all like getting water from a river, and no beaver is going to build a dam on a ridge.

As for farm runoff, it isn't just the bacteria, its the fertilizer and chemicals too, filtering won't stop that.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Sorry but I filter the water going in the tank... coming out of the tank and use carbon/filter media for using the water for general use... there is NO chlorine for me to ingest period... to each his own... but I'm not going by the 'US Dept. of Health' to recommend how much chlorine, iodines, perchlorates, dioxin, phenols, pyrethrins, or any other petroleum distillates I should be injesting... YES the US Dept. of Health determines how much is tolerable in your water or foods... do you trust them? I don't so that is why I try to avoid any chlorine or other chemicals in my drinking or cooking supply...
Sigh...Please refer to post #4, page 1 of this thread in re: filtration. N'any case, whatever works for you is excellent and I'm pleased for you.

Here Homer Nods...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
.....As for farm runoff, it isn't just the bacteria, its the fertilizer and chemicals too, filtering won't stop that.
Can't speak to all chemicals, but the good filters have both a micro filter for organisms and a carbon filter for chemicals. You can usually hand pump a quarter of water in under a minute.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-14-2012
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road

I don't know why people think rain water is safe. Ever heard of acid rain? Seen deforestation on the tops of the Smokies from acid rain? Know that AG's from several eastern states have been suing midwestern states because pollution from old coal powered plants are affecting the air in eastern states? Aware that air pollution from China is strong enough to affect air quality in Los Angeles? Ever park a clean car outside and look at it after an hour of rain has fallen and dried? The atmosphere is heavily polluted and rain water falls through it. Often it is the collection of water molecules around particles that assists precipitation. I would never drink rain water, or let it into my tanks, without filtration.
Old 12-14-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
I don't know why people think rain water is safe.
The only study I found on the net was an Australian study and it found that rain water was safe to drink.

Please support my
Old 12-14-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Be aware that what looks like a pristine stream may be contaminated with parasites from soil or animal waste.

I have a friend who contracted chiardia from stream water high on a ridge along the Appalachian Trail in PA. It took almost 6 months to recover.

Giardia infection - PubMed Health
Old 12-14-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Trekka, "safe" is a relative term. Where do you think that rainwater goes to when you drink it? That highly acidic acid rain is in fact gentle and sweet compared to the normal gastric juices in your stomache. Stomache acids are designed to tear apart all sorts of flesh. You wouldn't want to get them on your car either.

Tags
water filter