Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

WingNwing,

I'm happy to give you some input, so I'll PM you with my personal take on the topics you mentioned. I know I spend time looking at peoples blogs and sometimes they're vast and broad, other times sort of limited. Keep an eye out for the PM, probably later today.

Good luck with the project, it's always interesting to see liveaboards with different perspectives.
Old 01-26-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

Thanx all. I'll probably have this written and posted some time next week; will report back here with a link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013

Okay, got the first group of bloggers up. The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives: Moving Aboard: Transitions It's an "open" topic, which means we can add to it at any time. Always looking for more stories!

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 01-29-2013

TheLostGirlsMom is on a distinguished road

We are in the process of outfitting our boat this winter for cruising this fall. I am planning to write a blog so our family can keep tabs on us. They are not all on board with the idea and think it's not a smart decision. We feel otherwise and thats why we are leaving the docks. Our girls are already 19 months and 4.5 years old and growing everyday. We want to slowdowm and see them grow. Cruising gives us the opportunity to do so.
Old 01-29-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

We're currently in the process of moving aboard. It's me and my other, and our two dogs. We hope to be fully moved in within the next couple of weeks. We've been keeping a blog since last August detailing our "getting ready" phase, and a couple of weekend cruises. We're going to be sailing around the Caribbean.

Sailing Chance

I'll also PM you with the answers to your questions!

Kelley
__
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 01-29-2013

LostGirlsMom - Good for you! Cruising helps grow some pretty cool kids and there's a great community. We'll be looking forward to seeing you online. Kids Aboard is another Monkey's Fist topic in development; maybe you'll find some insights that will help calm the fears of your family.

Kelley, you have a pretty interesting twist on the standard cruise - I hope to get your PM posted as an email interview on Monkey's Fist, along with a link to your blog, this evening or tomorrow morning.

and
! And a new project:
Old 02-12-2013
1977 Island Trader Ketch

mikecoder3 is on a distinguished road

Just some basic input here. We are planning a live aboard this June.

This has been a two year prep and we started preparing before we ever purchased our sailboat.

We sold everything purchased a used 32 foot 5th wheel and lived in it for one year. I figured if I could master small spaces it would help prepare us for boat living.

We loved the 5th wheel and now that it has served it's purpose we are going to sell it.

We are excited about the live aboard and already downsized for less than 300 square feet of living space. I have learned where to skimp, and where not to. We definitely will use ceramic plates and as silver ware. The pressure cooker was a must in the 5th wheel so will be used on the boat. Another thing that is a must have is a bullet for juicing. Great meal supplements and small storage space. You can pick them up at Bed Bath and Beyond. We have learned to make coffee with a ceramic one cup dropper that takes cone filters. Saves space and works just as well as a coffee maker. I roast my own coffee from green beans so I have a grinder too. Will not be roasting on the boat due to smoke unless on open water. Moored at the marina would cause too much smoke for my neighbors. a good casserole dish with a lid that is not to big but will fit your stove oven works great.

any kind of kitchen item you like to use surprisingly comes in many collapsible forms like strainers, measuring cups and the such. Kitchen speciality stores carry many small collapsible space saving cooking gadgets that will take up less space than a household draw size of most items. Try and get "no-sweat" drinking glasses....makes for a nicer item in humidity without soaking your interior table with water rings.

Save small glass containers with lids for breaking down cold storage items in the frig without taking up tons of room as space is at a premium.

If I can think of any more suggestions I will share. Most of this is coming from the adapted 5th wheel living where we learned to do more with much less space. :0)
Old 02-12-2013

macswift is on a distinguished road

Not a blog, but a website article about living on a sailboat. You might find some useful stuff there...
Old 02-28-2013

Janurmas is on a distinguished road

Will you really pay for each article? I so, I would like to write for you.
Old 03-03-2013

Steve Pike is on a distinguished road

Hi
We just moved aboard Jan. 8th 2013 we had no plans no experience and my wife is scared of the water. Well she doesn't know how to swim, that's why shes scared. We
lived in an RV until a week before Christmas 2012. Our RV burned to the ground. While I was looking for a new RV on RVtrader she said why don't we turn this bad into something good and go for my dream. Who am I to argue with the wife, so I turned my search to Google. (Boat auctions) up came Chesapeake bay Maritime museum, I looked down their list of boats for sale and saw a 31' Columbia, 68 model, loved the looks of her, sexy lines. I started to research them, found out they are pretty darn good boats. This one had a new 3 cyl. diesel, new wiring, new plumbing, and was very clean. Told the man I wanted her and left Pensacola Fl for Md. We arrived while the man was on Christmas vacation. We went to the museum that Monday he returned and saw her insides and the wife said lets do it. We checked out of the motel on the 8th and started to provision & complete as much of the restoration as we could in the one week the museum gave us at their dock, We cast of the lines on a foggy Jan 15th and headed down the Chesapeake Bay towards the ICW. Well, I'll wait to tell more, and more I've got to tell. What a journey it has been. I have done a video log every day of our trip. We arrived in Fernandina Bch., Fl last Saturday and have been anchored out here waiting for my income tax ck so we can go further south. I'll be looking for a way to earn a little income here and there. Oh ya did I mention we home school our 8yo boy. He is learning so much from this adventure. Book to follow.

The Crew of
Sloop-D-Doo

Steve, Trisa & Gabriel
elspru likes this.

Last edited by Steve Pike; 03-03-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a few things