Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

If you've recently moved aboard, or are just in the process, and have blogged about it ... we'd like to read it and promote it for this new project. Maybe a future article, but for now, the goal is simply to help others who considering making the leap. Submissions here, or contact me by PM:

The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives: Moving Aboard Transitions

If you haven't written anything yet but are interested, here are some questions to trigger your thinking:
Why did you decide to try living aboard? Why now?
What's your long-term goal for living aboard? (as in, are you planning to cruise somewhere? just hang out in a marina and save money for a year or two? something else? and how long do you think you'll live aboard?)
How long have you been planning or preparing to move aboard? What's your target move-aboard date if you're still in the process; or when did you move aboard if you're already there?
Who have you told about this dream? And what kind of response have you gotten?
What has been your biggest challenge so far?
What are you most looking forward to?
What was your biggest fear about what you were getting into? What actually happened? Was it as bad as you feared?
What kind of land ties do you expect to retain?
Has it changed you? Do you feel different from your land-based friends?
Anything else you want to share that I haven't asked?
(and of course, "the basics" - something about the boat if you have one yet, where you are, a vague description of your age, like thirty-something or late 50s, etc)

Also planning a future topic on "Things You Learned from Your First Cruise"

THANX!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

You want my impressions from 2006? If so, I'll write 'em up for you.
RealST likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-21-2013

tmiller1116 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

I have always entertained the idea of writing, but do not relish the effort to maintain a blog. Even though I work in the Information Tech field, I am not addicted to tech Once the workday is over, time to get away from the computer!

Have to think on this... am I correct in presuming that you are wanting to gather the submissions and host them on your site?
Old 01-21-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Journey in Patience

Old Blog, new one coming.
AncientTech and RealST like this.
Old 01-21-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Anthology of A CENOURA

Bought the sailboat 5 months ago, moved aboard 3 months ago. I try to keep updating at the beginning of every week. It's much easier than repeating the same "boat life" stories to all my family members.
Old 01-21-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Its been three years now unless you count living in the boatyard for 798 days I write about it often, I think.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 07-18-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

PBzeer, would love to have your input on either topic, moving aboard or things learned from your first cruise.

tmiller, we're planning to do whatever works best for the authors: we will host on our site, or link to authors' blogs to give them additional visibility. Loving the idea of a mix of established and new writers.

Philzy, Chuckles, and Barefoot - do you have a specific post (or posts) on this topic to highlight? The problem with just sending a reader to a blog/website is they don't know where to look, and get frustrated searching. Of course, once they read that post, they may get stuck into reading more; that's why we call it the World Wide "Web" after all.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-22-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

If I had to pick one that I think will hook a reader I'd pick this one:

http://patiencetwo.blogspot.com/2011...ll-comedy.html
Old 01-22-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Here is ours but it is a little over 2 years old. Not especially current. I will also answer your questions.

Tim & Kathy on Carina Live Aboard Blog

Why did you decide to try living aboard? Why now?
- We decided to retire early and see the world. Moving aboard was jst the first step towards prepping the boat
What's your long-term goal for living aboard? (as in, are you planning to cruise somewhere? just hang out in a marina and save money for a year or two? something else? and how long do you think you'll live aboard?)
- Saving money to go cruising. Hoping to get in 4-5 years before returning.
How long have you been planning or preparing to move aboard? What's your target move-aboard date if you're still in the process; or when did you move aboard if you're already there?
- Moved about 10/2010. Planned for about 10 months. mostly boat shopping and selling our previous boat.
Who have you told about this dream? And what kind of response have you gotten?
- My wifes family thinks I brainwashed her. It was actually her idea. 99% of our friends know and support us.
What has been your biggest challenge so far?
- Hard to say. I would say prepping for storms.
What are you most looking forward to?
- Simplifying our lives and getting rid of a lot of material junk possessions.
What was your biggest fear about what you were getting into? What actually happened? Was it as bad as you feared?
- We very always very optimistic. Dont remember any huge fears.
What kind of land ties do you expect to retain?
- All of them until we throw off the lines
Has it changed you? Do you feel different from your land-based friends?
- Not really. We are still the same people. We have always been adventurous.
Anything else you want to share that I haven't asked?
(and of course, "the basics" - something about the boat if you have one yet, where you are, a vague description of your age, like thirty-something or late 50s, etc)
- It is a lot easier than most people realize. Although we did it when we had the financial resources. Many do it looking for a cheap way to live.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-22-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I'll write it up for ya then. Not sure how long it will take.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog