Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard in SF Bay?

Hello,
Have recently found myself in the position to follow up on some unfinished goals/dreams through the years. I work >90% remotely in IS/IT, and have pretty extensive experience in multiple fabrication/tech industries (metal/wood/electronics), and have traveled the country via VW bus and self converted schoolbus/motorhome. I am a novice sailor, definitely needing time and a couple classes, to get comfortable with a boat and myself. To minimize my needs and focus time on work and the tasks at hand, I have been looking for an inexpensive liveaboard option. Something that can comfortably support myself and older dog for the duration. that I can work on and develop the intimacy required for extended travels (learn her caveats), ideally would eventually be capable of blue water crossings with reinforcements/etc. My needs will be minimal and I am definitely not looking for anything fancypants.. functional, solid, and manageable for a solo as needed. Have been looking at a 28' Piver, seems it may be something worth going for. Any input on these specifically pro's/con's from experience? liveaboard cat/tri in general, or liveaboard in the bay at all? looking south bay, redwood city for slips, also open to transient slipping as needed.. pretty open as long as I get either wifi or a 3/4g signal.

happy sails.
slax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard in SF Bay?

See Boating SF Marinas. Not all marinas allow pets, some allow live aboards, some don't, some have waiting lists, some don't, some have wifi, some don't, some require a minimum boat size of 30, others, 35, and yet others do not have a minimum boat size. So be sure to check. All require a minimum of $300K liability insurance.

Once you've narrowed options, be sure to not only visit the marina but to also talk with residents. Ask why they picked a particular marina. I have heard of everything from commuting accessibility, to weather protection, to bay access, to allowing pets, to other amenities. In addition to finding out this info, it will give you a feel for the community atmosphere, facilities, how well (or not) the marina is maintained, etcetera.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:
Steady Hand (06-11-2014)
Old 02-18-2013

shadowraiths,
thanks for the input, was hoping you would chime in. based on the postings of yours I have our paths seem pretty similar and it would seem you have some recentish experience to share about the living situation on the bay. i have been slowly parsing through that list, lots of not useful info there too. You mentioned 30' being the requirement? I would assume thats the minimal cost right? not they will turn me away if I am only on a 28'? also being in the bay and planning on getting as much time out on the water as possible, and with the force move to the city by work, thats pretty much gonna be whenever I am not "on the clock" now, I plan on getting insurance for the moment. May revisit the need again at a later date when I am not in one of the bussiest areas in the world, but for now with my experience level I think its important as well. I have also been digging into the maps and interwebs for decent anchorages within the 3/4g data coverage area for the many days I will still work from home. With the moderate flexibility and 1-2hr response time required for onsite situations, I think with a bit of planning ahead I can probably be within 1hr of a landing to get to the bart/muni and speed down to the DC even if I am not near whatever slip I decide on. Reminds me though, I need to look more into the few hour dock options near SF itself, as thats where any speedy travels would need to be to and never overnight just for a few hrs here and there. Hrmmm lots to do, back at it. Thanks again for this and any input, its appreciated greatly.
happy sails,
slax
Old 02-18-2013

3/4g coverage should not be a problem in the bay area. I have always had cell coverage when I've been on the water.

I have noticed a growing trend wrt minimum boat size & live aboards. Afaik, this has nothing to do with cost, as the difference between say, a 28 footer and 30 footer is negligible (i.e., $25/mo or so). Moreover, the tacked on live aboard fees are not by the foot. Otherwise put, if you are looking for live aboard accommodations as opposed to cruising accommodations, marinas that require a minimum 30/35, will likely turn you away. There are those who play the sneak aboard game, but I personally wouldn't go that route. Imho, the sneak aboards are the reason that, for example, "live aboard" is considered a dirty word by many harbor masters, and even some sailors. Importantly, I would urge you to visit these marinas in person. Even if you have no intention of renting a slip from them. It's a great way to get a feel for what you want/or don't want, in a marina. Plus, by walking the docks, you can get ideas for setting up your own boat. Moreover, marina communities differ just like land communities. And finally, should you find a marina that you like, you can meet with the harbor master, thereby increasing your chances of getting a LAB slip... even, possibly charming your way into a marina that has a minimum boat size requirements for live aboards. Assuming, that is, they don't have a waiting list.

If you're considering living on the hook, you will need to factor in everything from power (i.e., solar? wind?) to water and pump out, as well as lugging stuff (i.e, provisions, trash, etc) to/from shore. Since you won't have shower facilities, then you'd be dependent upon either getting a membership at a local gym, or doing the sun shower thing in your cockpit. Regardless, if you check out google maps satellite view and zoom in to the bay area, you will see Richardson Bay has, by far, the most anchorages. Though, there is presently a big fight between the city and people living on the hook... which, from my understanding, has been going on for at least 3 decades. Nonetheless, this is apparently due boating accidents resulting from people not knowing how to properly set their anchors. Which in turn, results in their boats breaking free in high winds, and crashing into others on the hook or docked boats. With that in mind, if I were to go the hook route, I'd definitely rent a mooring ball. They're like $15 or so a month, and mitigates the risk of your boat going astray. That, and they're legal, where other hook living is considered illegal in Saus.

Last edited by shadowraiths; 02-18-2013 at 04:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:
Steady Hand (06-11-2014)
Old 02-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
...if I were to go the hook route, I'd definitely rent a mooring ball. They're like $15 or so a month, and mitigates the risk of your boat going astray. That, and they're legal, where other hook living is considered illegal in Saus.
There are no mooring fields for anything other than overnighting anywhere in San Francisco Bay. In addition, the Richardson Bay anchorage has a 72 hour limit. Longer than that requires a permit from the Richardson's Bay Regional Agency. Richardson's Bay is also a No Discharge Zone.
Old 02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
There are no mooring fields for anything other than overnighting anywhere in San Francisco Bay. In addition, the Richardson Bay anchorage has a 72 hour limit. Longer than that requires a permit from the Richardson's Bay Regional Agency. Richardson's Bay is also a No Discharge Zone.
Ah, okay. thanks for the correction!

Btw, did a quick google and stumbled upon this, imho, interesting and eye opening (at least for me) article. ( link )
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
3/4g coverage should not be a problem in the bay area. I have always had cell coverage when I've been on the water.

I have noticed a growing trend wrt minimum boat size & live aboards...

If you're considering living on the hook, you will need to factor in everything from power (i.e., solar? wind?)...
Nice to hear on the 3/4g.

I am pretty flexible, have a few marina visits coming up. Ideally if I find the right spot that would offer some nice consistency and space to work initially, however with the desire to be out on the water as much as possible, I was thinking more "transient" docking in that I suppose I was referring more to a local route that works for me using temp/cruising accommodations as needed/available. I know this is more expensive if broken down over the full month or whatever the data set is, but as needed it may work out a bit better still looking at the cost breakdowns to get a better idea of it all.

on/off the hook full/semi full time, definitely the end goal.. lots of steps to get there. I currently run data center infrastructure, so a good chunk of my accountability is power, redundency, cooling, load monitoring, etc.. and have worked on several off grid solar/wind/water installations on land for myself (vwbus/schoolbus conversion) and others (house/land), been digging back into old research and current materials/applications but thats another thread entirely, power/water/waste/comms/etc. all foundations I am building on.

Per the article, interesting read. I can see where there may be pushback from the city, or special interest groups, for what they view as a floating shanty town. Seems its been going on for more then a few decades in more then this bay... Good to see some effort to assist going on, do also see where the intentions could be questioned by the floating community as well.

Thanks all for the input.

happy sails,
slax
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Stevensea is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I am hopeing to find a boat as accommodation for a mounth. We are coming over from New Zealand during August 2015. I have been to Sausalito and seen boats ( not the house boats) that look like they don't get much use. So, we are proposing to supplement there annual morning fees, with a cash injection.

We are very familia with living on boats in marinas.

Regards Steven
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Newport 30 sailor

elgatosunrise is on a distinguished road

check craigslist for liveaboards in SF -

One thing to think about with an anchorage vs. a marina that needs to be considered.

You are going to be using a dingy to get trash off the boat and supplies onto the boat. That means water and groceries and laundered clothes all have to be brought onto the boat with a small dingy.
This cannot be understated. It is a huge time expense and in foul weather can be brutal.

I've found it's worth the money to be in a marina, unless you're just passing through.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

hellsop is on a distinguished road

I've been digging into the area a lot and for someone that's not trying to do this in the absolute cheapest way possible, San Leandro Marina looks like a pretty possible option as long as you don't mind being close to Oakland airport's landing path. It's under-utilized compared to nearly everything else close to SF, reasonably priced, and within walking distance of grocery/laundry, and on a (convoluted and slow) transit route that does get you to a BART station after a while. There's month-to-month apartments in the area and the hotel next door looks pretty nice as well, so you've got someplace to bail out for in case the area gets a week-long cold snap in January or need to vacate the boat for haul-out or something. It looks like a fine place to be while chugging through a waitlist for someplace else at least.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.