Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Young liveaboard after Navy

I see a reoccurring theme here.

Work hard at whatever you do and you will see your dream come true..

I counsel a lot of young troops. It doesn't bother me in the least when the get out. What bothers me is that most of them have no goals and don't have a plan in place to get to that goal. I like to see everyone be successful.
Seasalt, make a plan and have a goal and stick to it... then you will be successful.
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to college on ROTC and served my 20 years. I would just have gotten out a few years ago and would have a pension. There is NO company out there that offers a pension like the military, heck very few companies do more than match a small portion of your 401K any more. If you want to retire young (or at all) then the military is the way to go. While it will not make you rich after you get out, you can live more comfortably off of it than Social Security and it should be enough to support a cruising lifestyle.

I was a rebellious youth and the thought of following orders made my stomach turn. Now I truly wish I had served my country via the military, and not just for the pension either. I have many friends who have and are currently doing this.
Old 04-18-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Ditch the navy, get a job at McDonalds for a year buy a Columbia 24 and your free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2013

walt is on a distinguished road

If you ever come back to find this thread:

I separated six months ago after eight years active.

Current (right now) experience says: if you rank up quickly, if you keep all your ducks in a row, if you don't mess up and do something stupid, and if you don't spend all your money on ridiculous things and alcohol and strippers in foreign ports, sure. Military pay may not be what it should be, but it's plenty to save enough to set yourself up for success if you keep your eye on the prize.

Unemployment at the moment is 6-18 months depending on what state you're in and if you're using the GI Bill (requires 36 months of service for full benefits) you don't need to be actively looking for a job.

I'm looking right now for something 30-35' to liveaboard with money I've saved in the last eight (three?) years. It's possible.
Old 06-28-2013
Gone Sailing

NeilAW is on a distinguished road

I am currently AD(active duty) Navy. I have saved enough in three years to out and out buy a 30' or so boat, and then some for renovations. Not enough, however, to pay for slipfees/electricity/amenities that most want/need. Joining the Navy has been a great thing for me. I get good pay, great benefits, and meet wonderful people(some not so wonderful perhaps). But even with all this, you still need a plan for a post Navy career. With all the resources that the DoD provides these days, you have to have a real lack of motivation/will power to need unemployment post service. If you want to serve, serve, but I can tell you form experiance, those who are in it for the benefits, usualy hate their 4+ years.

My 2c

Neil
Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off – then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.