SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Internet access? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/9864-internet-access.html)

alexNB 06-04-2004 10:59 PM

Internet access?

How do i get fast internet when living onboard ,is that possible?

jbanta 06-05-2004 08:24 AM

Internet access?

Fast.... Check with your local satilite companies. Maybe your marina has wireless connection already many do. Other than that you may be stuck with a cel connection.

dmr_invicta-II 06-11-2004 10:06 AM

Internet access?

alexNB
I''ve been looking into this also. Ran a google search on "satellite internet". Seems to be an average of $100 per month.
I imagine having it on the boat would work.
I will post back when I get a reply on that issue.
David

DEBSKIDMORE 07-22-2004 02:34 PM

Internet access?

We got an aircard from Verizon that plugs into laptop. It is unlimited internet access for a flat rate of $80/month. When we are around DC and certain other areas, the speed is faster. Otherwise, it is 40-60 kps with higher bursts at times. We surf and send email with attachments to our hearts content.

saltydawg 07-23-2004 06:17 AM

Internet access?

If you are living at a marina that has cable TV - get a cable modem. After living aboard for 6 yeas and trying EVERYTHING - cable modem has been the ONLY reliable, fast, sure fire access to the internet we have had on the boat

limey 07-26-2004 08:29 AM

Internet access?

I use Sprint PCS with the additional $15 web wireless, then get a USB to Cell adapter and within reason you got unlimited internet access in the sprint coverage.

Also SAILMAIL is something for the bigger league cruisers.

Alan Andrews

dirtchickn 07-30-2004 04:12 AM

Internet access?

Also, Nextel is getting ready to unveil it''s new service. nextelbroadband.com Right now, it only works in Raleigh NC but once they get the bugs worked out, it will be available anywhere there is nextel coverage.

WHOOSH 08-03-2004 01:53 AM

Internet access?

Sailmail (and also the ham Winlink system) do not provide direct internet access and are s-l-o-w.

Jack

castan 08-03-2004 07:33 PM

Internet access?

There seems to be wi-fi service hot spots popping up all over the place now. Many marinas all down the east coast procide this service affilated with companies like Boingo and T-Mobile networks. Simply subscribe to a service (the whole coast will be covered soon), slip a wi-fi card into your laptop and surf the internet at high speed for as long as you want. Plans average around $25 per month. Not much use whilst offshore but great from your boat in a wi-fi marina or close to any other hot spot.

Nereus32 08-06-2004 07:11 PM

Internet access?

I''m currently out cruising from Chicago to Florida, via the Great Lakes and the East Coast. Internet access is an issue. My best solution was a laptop with Wi-Fi. However, I spend a lot of time walking around trying to find a router to connect to - there are surpisingly a lot of them out there. It is time consuming, but I get a lot of excercise. I expect Wi-Fi access to improve when I get to the East Coast. Currently I''m in the Great Lakes, which is rather rural and lacking in homes and towns, let alone wireless routers.

To suppliment, I just started with sprint pcs and their vision plan with a usb cable (I''m surfing SailNet on it now). I have unlimited internet for $15 (in addition to my phone plan). While certainly not as fast as Wi-Fi, it seems much faster than dial-up - after all, it''s digital. It works anywhere on the pcs digital network. So far, I''m happy and it is very easy to use.

However, don''t ask at the sprint store. They are pushing their own brand of "phone" internet, which is very limited. They won''t tell you that you can hook your computer to your phone. They won''t even admit that it is possible. They don''t sell cables. The $20 cable from Radio Shack works fine in any sprint phone that will accept one. I have a Sanyo, which is reported to have better reception, perhaps improving my performance.

If you are liveaboard in a marina with cable service and don''t need to be mobile, I second the motion for a cable modem. You won''t get better speed, service, or reliablity for the money. Wi-Fi is second if you are in a marina that has it.