SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2016 Season on South Shore, Long Island

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  oysterman23 
#1 ·
Finally a good stretch of weather, punch list gettin done and the boat ready...Tomorrow ice, bend on the main and off we go Yea!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Good memories of my dad came flooding over me as I read this post. He grew up in Lynnbrook and sailed the south shore in a converted duck skiff he and grandpa made when dad was 14 years old. That would have been in 1932. Oh such great stories of his experiences on the south shore with sea scouts and friends in their father's boats.
I still wear dad's high school ring from East Rockaway High School.

#3 · (Edited)
that's great to hear. My folks started boating when in Wantaugh and eventually moved to Babylon. My Dad loved fishing and the water. I grew up cruising with them to Mystic, Atlantic City, Ocean City Md, Block and Greenport. Remember the acid waters and a time 2 Delta Daggers dropped to the deck alongside us on the bridge! I picked up sailing from friends racing and yacht clubs and am utterly hooked now in my 60's.
Like reading old memoirs of the south shore and east coast waters of which there are many available now online....
my best moment so far was gunking down the state boat channel in the meadows in early november with the birds and critters undisturbed as I quietly glided by....they let me pass as if I belonged.......My favorite of my dad was coming home at night up the Babylon cut and Dad asked me to pick out my marks and bearing " See that light on the water tower"? that'll take you right into Babylon cove"..... means alot and helps me remember navigation applies to many things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.