Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008
Sailor Dance

jlmarra is on a distinguished road
Winter Storage Recommendations

Hello,

I'm looking for some recommendations as to winter storage yards on Long Islands North Shore. Places that you have dealt with and were happy with the service. We live in Port Jefferson

I'd prefer a yard that caters to sailboats, is secure, don't necessarily have to unstep the mast (I'm flexible on this).

If I have to go west say Huntington or out east say the Peconic I would consider it.

Your thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Still Searching...

John
S/V Sailor Dance
1990 Caliber 33
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2008

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Hi, My name is Rick. I work as a shipwright out here in Greenport and am familiar with most of the yards from here west to Huntington. In PortJeff youu have Hamnfs and Old MAns Boatyard on Coloumbia St. I have kept boats at both but you do have to unstep. Out this way there is Brewer's (can leave stepped) Clarks (stepped also) and several others. One thought might be wet storage at Dick Kearns, lots of advantages and very scure there also cost effective. e-mail me at slooprdv@gmail.com if you want to chat, fair winds, Rick
Old 08-25-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
MidnightSailor,

What is wet storage like?

>>> One thought might be wet storage at Dick Kearns
Old 08-26-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Wet storage is like being left in the water at a slip. They usually run some kind of air bubble system in the slips when it gets cold enough to freeze the water. The bubbles inhibit the formation of ice.
Wet storage is a bit cheaper then hauling out (price / ft) but you will pay extra for a haulout to clean your bottom.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Thanks for that last detail. I hauled out for the pre-purchase inspection and really need bottom paint. I'm probably going to go for winter storage on land.
Old 09-05-2008

wet vs. dry storage

As with most things, there are pros and cons to every choice. I happen to prefer wet storage for these reasons.1. I can use my boat all year, or atleast later in the fall and the first mice day in the spring. Also, I love to go down to my boat during the winter while in the water and light up the oil lamps, put up a pot of tea, , turn on some good music and crank up the heater and enjoy the warm, snug cabin, perhaps reading a book,or reading posts on my laptop, while all the other boats are up on the cold hard yard. 2. I find that most damage is done while the boat is either being hauled blocked, or put back in the water,a boat is best while all is evenly supported by water not perched on boat stands. If the rig is up and the boat is on the hard, everything takes considerable strains from the wind that a boat in the water easily absorbs. 3. It is much easier carring on winter mainjtenance projects with a boat you can just step onto..not having to climb up and down ladders with tools and supplies makes things alot easier. 4. If I really get the urge on a bright, warm winters day(they do occur a few times over the winters here on long Island) I can let go the dock lines and take her out. (granted I have to re-flush the deisel with anti-freeze etc. but I have it down to a science and it really is easy to do with the boat in the water) 5. It is cheaper. Granted, the boats bottom is somthing to be considered but I have found that if the boat has good bottom paint very little growth occurs over the winter due to the colder water and especially the reduced sunlight. I Usually only have to do a short haul every other year and even then I usually only have slime after the winter. Some years I get away with just a presure wash and pop it back in, other years I give it a fresh coat of paint. Also, I only store at marinas this way where there is someone around all year to monitor the boats. I also keep a close on on her but that is really part of the enjoyment as I like spending time at my boat and the marina as long as I can easily access my boat as I can with it in the water. The winters have been so mild around here lately that the ice eaters (the propellar like devices which are suspended in the water and keep any ice from forming) raerly have even been needed to be turned on. Last year they were on only for a few hours a day for a one or two week period) I keep my shore power on and so my batteries can stay charged and I can run all my electrical devices over the winter. The way I look at it, boats are meant to be in the water, and meant to be used. The season is always to short as it is, if my boat was in warmer climate it would not be taken out of the water except for bottom work and then only for as long as the work takes. So it's a little chilly. Peering out of a portlight from inside a cozy cabin with a steaming mug of tea and watching the snow fall(If I am real luckey!) aint't so bad! Rick
Old 09-06-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Outstanding post Rick. Another reason might be safety. I was sailboat shopping last winter up north and distinctly remember walking around on a snow covered deck, really high above the ground. Of course you could delay projects until the snow goes away (Long Island=wait a few days), but those clear post-snow days are good ones to be back outside. Even without snow, bringing the kids up on the boat would be a little worrisome.

I'd like to keep sailing until mid-December or even later. I hear there's a "frostbite series" in some places -- races during the winter. Not sure if we have that in Long Island. Some questions:

1) Will marinas accept such a late pull out, or does every boat have to be pulled by a certain date?

2) Is there a frostbite series on the north shore somewhere? If so, where are they, so I can plan to be there/be close? And how does one signup for those races?

3) What kind of prices are we talking about for wet storage versus dry? (This is my first winter owning a boat here.)

4) What marinas would you recommend? (For for having someone there all winter, having a good area to sail in during the winter, reasonable prices, able to work on the boat a bit, cheap electricity for that cozy heater, etc.)

5) Annapolis has a boat parade where you put lights up on the stays. Do we have anything like that here?
Old 09-08-2008

1. I think that if you are going to pull out your boat most marinas will pull them out for hard storage as long as they have room, but most of the marinas fill up fast after september, Wet storage the same, so long as there is room, they will take you. It is a bit easier to find wet storage later in the year as most people still pull out there boats....Old habits die hard!
2. I am not sure about this, might want to start a new thread inquiring about this?
3. Generally it is significantly cheaper but you will need to call the marina's I'm afraid to get the prices.
4. I would strongly recommend Kearnsport Marina in Greenport. It is a small, but very personal Marina that has all the basic neccesities: electric, Shower Room and Bathroom, and very secure you can call this number and ask for Dick631-477-0714. ALso Greenport Shipyard,(Steve Clark) sorry don't have number, Brewers Greenport (big, more expensive, less secure)
5.Greenport has a maritime festival but not sure of the date, but heck lots of boats in the water decorate for the holidays with lights etc and looks real nice to see them on a winters night!

Rick
Old 09-09-2008

mazzy is on a distinguished road
I've been keeping the boat on the hard at Gulfway Marine, in Port Washington. I haven't found any in-water storage in Manhasset Bay, except the very expensive Brewer's marina. The Town of Hempstead operates a marina near Jones Inlet, in Point Lookout on the south shore, which I considered, but it poses two problems. 1, winter season starts Dec 1, but my mooring is pulled early November. 2, getting the boat there. Prices are very good for residents.
Mike
Old 09-10-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
brittania in northport has wet and on the hard without stepping....also im not completely sure but i know many of the frostbiting occurs in yacht clubs at least thats what happens by me

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.