SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Long Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/)
-   -   Dock & Dine, Western L.I.Sound (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/51797-dock-dine-western-l-i-sound.html)

jjablonowski 02-22-2009 10:04 PM

Dock & Dine, Western L.I.Sound

Okay, I've been to Louie's in Port Washington several times, and I really llike F.I.S.H. (Fox Island Seafood House) in Port Chester.

Now, how's about some of you New Yawkers and Connecticut types chiming in with your favorite dinner/lunch joint.

You gotta be able to tie up right there.

mrwuffles 02-23-2009 05:31 PM

We don't have to many here on the north shore out near me in the Huntington area. Would be nice to find one besides going to the main town.

SOUNDBOUNDER 03-01-2009 08:44 PM

They are a lot less common than they used to be.
The one in Sea Cliff closed.
There are one or two in City Island.
Stamford has one or two.
Two of the ones in Norwalk are gone, but Sono Seafood has docks for small boats.
I am not sure if Greenwich has docking anymore for the former Showboat.
Ditto for the Chart House in Cos Cob.
Captains Cove in Black Rock has docking and food.

I like grabbing a mooring at Sagamore YC in Oyster Bay, and Sea Cliff YC.
If the restaurant or bar are not open, we just walk into town.

davidpm 03-01-2009 11:15 PM

Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale

The Westbrook fish place is just across the street from Pilots Point Marina.
We dock at PP and walk to the fish place all the time.

CalebD 03-03-2009 11:24 PM

SoundBounder has done his homework as usual.
Sea Cliff YC is a good place to go to. If their kitchen is closed it is about a 300' foot vertical climb up into town to KC Gallagher's which has some nice seafood and burgers in a pub atmosphere: KC Gallaghers, Sea Cliff, NY : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
The fun begins when you begin the descent back down to the water after a nice meal. People who belong to reciprocating clubs can get moorings for the night. There are a few other places to eat in Sea Cliff including: Tupelo Honey Restaurant Sea Cliff,NY and a pizza place but I kind of like the laid back pub atmosphere of KC Gallghers's. Plus you get some exercise.
The other places right on the water in SC where in Mosquito Creek (actually Glen Cove) and seem to be closed at the moment. There were the 'Hideaway' and 'Steamboat Landing' which seem not to be able to stay open.
I would also recommend the Oyster Bay area for dock and dine opportunities (which would include a walk). Oyster Bay village has tried to make their waterfront more accessible for mariners and there are restaurants nearby.
One area that seems was missed was Huntington Harbor. There is a public park and dock on the eastern shore of this tightly packed and well protected harbor that is right across the street from an Italian restaurant called: Tutto Pazzo - Tuscan Italian Restaurant - Huntington, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York, Christenings
My sister's neighbor assures me that he took his big power boat in there, tied up for free and ate dinner and left while steering with one eye to get back out into Huntington Bay on his way home. I would ASSUME that a sailboat could make it in here and tie up but the tides would be worth watching. The Italian food is quite good and there are transient moorings available from a few clubs in this safe harbor. There are many other good restaurants in Huntington but most are just not right by the water front.
Six years ago we stopped in Mattituck inlet and tied up for free at the town dock at the head of the creek. The restaurant we found was not far from the dock but this would not qualify as the 'western LI Sound'.
DavidPM would know much more about the dock & dine opportunities on the CT side.

Louie's in Port Washington has not been great for a while. What is great is that they have a dock.

mrwuffles 03-04-2009 03:12 PM

In huntington the dock you tie up to is floating but doesnt have the best depth at low tide so you don't have to worry about setting your lines right but do have to worry about getting stuck..

denby 03-04-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 456459)
Lenny and Joe's Fish Tale

The Westbrook fish place is just across the street from Pilots Point Marina.
We dock at PP and walk to the fish place all the time.

We changed Joe's name to Squiggy some 30 years ago.:D :D

Great restaurant.

danielgoldberg 04-13-2009 12:02 AM

I'll break your rule just a touch, and make a plug for my town, Mamaroneck. You can tie up to the town float and dink right to Brewers, and right next to the parking lot is Barnacle's, a new restaurant that has been Charlie Browns, the Jolly Trolly, and I'm sure a few others over the years.

Other than the Barnacle, there are about 20 restaurants and bars within spitting distance of the harbor.

The negative on Mamaroneck as a transient destinatinon is that there is no good all-weather anchorage very close to town. There are marinas (Brewer's and Derecktor's), and the town does have a float for transients (which I actually think might be free), but no good all-weather anchorage. Nevertheless, the proximity of the town float to the main drag makes the whole town pretty close to a dock-n-dine.

Also, if you take slip at Brewer's, then you really are docked at the restaurant, as a practical matter (though dockage won't be free, as with a true dock-n-dine like Louie's).

jjablonowski 05-29-2009 03:24 PM

In New Rochelle's Echo Bay, the On the Waterfront restaurant Restaurant Row - Restaurant Detailis now promoting its Dock and Dine capability. The place is in the elevated parking lot above the Municipal Marina. When I called, I was told to tie up at the gas dock and proceed upstairs.

JimsCAL 05-29-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 457404)
The other places right on the water in SC where in Mosquito Creek (actually Glen Cove) and seem to be closed at the moment. There were the 'Hideaway' and 'Steamboat Landing' which seem not to be able to stay open.

Actually both the Steamboat Landing (now called the Wharf at Steamboat Landing) and the Hideaway are open. Steamboat Landing was never closed and the Hideaway just reopened. They are actually located in Glen Cove Marina which is at the end of Glen Cove Creek.