Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I am planning on going to block this summer. My tentative dates are the week of July 12. This is after the Block Island Race week and the July 4 week, so I hope it's not too crowded.

Since I am in Mt. Sinai, it's 'only' 70 nm or so for me. I am thinking of going there in one shot, starting late at night, say 10 pm or so Saturday night, and arriving around 10 AM Sunday morning.

Anyone else interested?

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Culinary,

We are headed to Marthas Vineyard via Block Island from Annapolis, Maryland area. Last year we went from here to BI by stopping in Northport, Westport, Mystic and then BI. On the return trip Essex, Port Jefferson.

This year we wil be leaving Annapolis on July 25 so we should be in Northport on July 29 or 30. We would like to Gofrom there to Essex or Stionington, Green port, then Block for two days. After that to Marthas Vineyard (2 days), Cuttyhunk, Newport, Westport/ Old Saybrooke, Mount Saini...then the long trip back to Cape May and the Chesapeake. We would be willing to raft up with any Sailnetters along the way and share "boating stories"

Where did you wind up stopping last year...how was your trip?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-22-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culinary411 View Post
Last year this was an awesome trip. Starting to plan it again for this summer. I'm thinking it would be even more fun if a few of us met up and did it together. My schedule is open...anyone interested? I'm thinking a group of us sails together, we raft up and BBQ for a couple days and then head back home.
C411,

We love Block Island, all the way from the Chesapeake. We are interested in your rendezvous suggestion.

If both you and chef2sail are there, may we expect delicious BBQ if we supply the groceries, or the beer, or the Bourbon?

Wayne
Old 01-22-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Wayne'
We are headed up leavaing the Patapsco on the 25th of July and Cape May on the 27th. If you want to hook up with us I can show you the way to get into Barnegat Inlet
Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-23-2010

Culinary411 is on a distinguished road
Barry, what if I sailed Port Washington to Sinai, spent the night and we left Sinai together? I've never made a straight run from Sinai before but I know for a fact that time of the year the wind is very undependable in the Sound and that 70 miles may as well be a million. I had that problem last year and motored quite a bit. I took advantage of the good winds at dusk and dawn and the rest of the way I motorsailed. 12 hours to do 70mn I think is a bit of a stretch though. That's almost 6 knots the whole way and with the wind not being great its pushing it, at least for my 27' footer.
Anyway, whatever timeline we decide on closer to departure date, I'm in. I'd love to raft up with whoever would like, cook a feast, tell boat stories and share drinks. That's why we sail isn't it? Whoever dives will want to bring dive gear along on this trip. The diving is AMAZING out there compared to the rest of the east coast this far north.
Old 01-23-2010

The trip last year was amazing but we wasted too much time with a broken alternator belt and mainsail issues that needed adjustment, etc... I put a lot of new stuff on the boat and didn't get a chance to iron out all the issues before setting out. Being the first time to Block we didn't know what to expect when we got there so we wasted a lot of time exploring ports along the way we should have skipped. So the trip was as follows; we left Glen Cove late afternoon and sailed to Stamford and decided to rest for the night. We got up the next morning, explored Stamford for the day and then headed to Black Rock. Blackrock was a good time, had dinner, explored some more, stayed the night and left forClinton (boring stop), we were tired so we tied up, took the dog for a walk and returned to cook dinner on board and sleep. The next day was an early start and we went from Clinton to Fishers Island (beautiful and peaceful), waited the night and at first light headed for Block.
I spared you all from reading about the nightmare of changing the alternator belt while three A**HOLES on jet skies circled me playing tag with each other while I was down below working in 3 foot waves wanting to puke my guts out. And the fact that when the sail loft installed my Dutchman system the day before we left the sheet was on the wrong side of the main so every time I raised the main the track was sawing into it until it finally snapped and all the crap came crashing onto the deck sending my spinnaker downhaul up to wrap the spreaders ( talk about Murphy crewing that run), to this day I think its impossible to replicate that event but sure as heck it happened to me. Anyway, I'm ready for run #2......WHO'S IN !?!?
Old 01-24-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Wayne'
We are headed up leavaing the Patapsco on the 25th of July and Cape May on the 27th. If you want to hook up with us I can show you the way to get into Barnegat Inlet
Dave
Dave,

Thanks - I've put myself in charge of a 3-6 boat cruise to NYC next season. It will probably fall apart as usual (like herding cats) but if not, I'd love to tag along to Barnegat. I will p.m. you in the spring and continue to watch Nick's thread to see if the Block rendezvous gets traction.

Wayne
Old 01-24-2010

Wayne,
Depending on which way you get to NY i'd like in on that trip as well if you have a spot for another boat. If you're headed west to NY from the sound I can meet you as you approach City Island. If you're heading north up the river I'll sit this one out as I'm already in the Sound.
Old 01-24-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

Nick, I'll p.m. if our cruise comes together. We would be headed easterly through the Sound to Block I.

Wayne
Old 01-31-2010

nk235 is on a distinguished road
You can count me in for the cruise to Block next year. I am in Mt. Sinai as well with Barry and John (Wandering Star). I have been going to Block each year for the past 3 years since I have been sailing and I love it. I always did a post with pics of our trips but we usually head out with the tide, stop at Mattituck then head out with the tide again the next morning for a straight shot to Block.

Barry - The only downside I can think of by leaving Mt. Sinai at 10PM and doing a straight shot all the way there is we are pretty much guaranteed to be going against the tide doing 3knts or less for about 4-6 hours and maybe more of the trip. That's why I usually make it a two day affair by leaving with the Ebb to get to Mattituck and then for the longer leg from Mattituck to Block sometimes leaving at 3:30am to catch the start of the Ebb because so I can hit the Race at peak Ebb tide sometimes doing 10.5 knots over the ground making the whole trip ALOT quicker. Since the current in the east end of the Sound is so strong, if you do it that way you won't see below 7.5-8knts on your GPS the entire time. However I would love to do the trip in one shot though and especially if we have a fleet with us so I am in either way.

Jeez I just can't wait for this winter to end and to get back out sailing again with all this planning for next season already!

-Nick