SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Long Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/)
-   -   Port Washington to Block Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-island/56007-port-washington-block-island.html)

Culinary411 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

Port Washington to Block Island

In about a week and a half or so my wife and I plan on leaving Port Washington, NY on our 27' sailboat and sail along the Connecticut coast to Block Island. So far our trip plan is; Port Washington to Stamford, Stamford to Clinton, Clinton to Fishers Island, and Fishers Island to Block.
Has anyone here ever made this trip? We're looking for advice from those that have done it. We're not set on these stops, we just want to have a plan so that if we decide we're tired and need to re-fuel and sleep we have options pre-planned. I have 9 vacation days and would like to see how far along we can make it.
If you know of a better route, must see places along the way, etc...we want to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The boat is equipped with radar, tiller-pilot, chartplotter, etc.

-Nick

nk235 07-07-2009 11:48 PM

Nick - I have made very similar trips but leaving mostly from further east on the LI side of the Sound so I am not too familiar with Stamford. We usually do the opposite and head out to Block stopping at ports on the LI side and then on the way back stop along the CT coast. However last year on our way back from Newport and Block Island we stopped in Stonington, CT which is in Fisher's Island Sound and is a very nice little sailing harbor with some very impressive boats in it and is an easy sail to or from Block. You also have Mystic right there as well which is a fun little town with the whaling village and all of that to do. The next night we stopped in Clinton and would prob not go back because we were the only sailboat out of about 300 powerboats. The cruising guide advertised it as being a boaters heaven... it did have a pool and hot tub and a kind of outdated restaurant but that is it so personally I would skip Clinton. Other places in CT that is within a half day sail from Port Washington that we liked is Milford which is very clean, pretty town with plenty of restaurants right off the dock, Norwalk, and Captains Cove Marina in Black Rock which has more of a party atmosphere.

The trip is plenty doable and you should have a great time! I would get a LI Sound Cruising guide so that way if you feel like making a longer run one day or stopping short, you can look up all the places to stop in as there are plenty. My gf and I will be headed east in August and are going to try some new spots in CT on the way back. Have fun!

-Nick

rwy36 07-08-2009 09:01 PM

Hey Nick,

I'd second Nick #2's suggestion about Clinton and pass it by. If you want to make it a bit of a longer trip on day #2, heading up the Connecticut River to Old Saybrook (via North Cove) or Essex (right on the river a few miles past I-95) might be other spots to consider. Keep an eye on the tides, though, (especially if your heading all the way up to Essex) since it may cost you 2 or 3 knots of headway at max ebb.

Note that North Cove can get somewhat shallow at low tide although I keep hearing their going to dredge in there (don't know if its happened yet or not).

Have a great trip!

Take care,

Bill
O'Day 302 - 'Antares'

JimsCAL 07-10-2009 09:17 AM

I have made the trip from Glen Cove (next to PW) to points east dozens of times. There are lots of possibilities and I have tried most of them. I like easy-in/easy out spots where I can drop the hook. First stop heading east is usually Northport or Port Jeff depending on wind and when I get going after loading in the morning. Next stop could either be Duck Island/Westbrook or Mattituck. From there if currents and wind are with you, it's possible to hop directly to Block via the Race. If not, stop at Stonington, and make the shorter trip via the Watch Hill Passage. Make sure you have a copy of the current tables so you can time your travel in eastern LI Sound.

Culinary411 07-11-2009 06:11 PM

Time...

Jim,

I'm in Glen Cove Marina right now and I'm thinking of using it as my starting point on this trip. To be on the safe side how much time to you think it takes to get from Glen Cove to Block?

-Nick

Bene505 07-12-2009 08:43 PM

We are approaching Block now for the start of the informal rallty to Nantucket. We'll be there in about 30 minutes. Staying 1 night. Are you there right now?

JimsCAL 07-13-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culinary411 (Post 504544)
Jim,

I'm in Glen Cove Marina right now and I'm thinking of using it as my starting point on this trip. To be on the safe side how much time to you think it takes to get from Glen Cove to Block?
-Nick

Hard to predict time as it depends so much on wind and weather. However it's about 100 miles, so at 5 knots that's 20 hours. If wind and weather are against you, it could easily be much longer. On my first trip to Block almost 30 years ago, it took 5 days to get there from Mattituck!! I usually figure 4 easy days as I like to arrive early enough each day to enjoy an afternoon swim or go ashore. If you are willing to do one overnight sail, you could make it in one day.

Jim

Culinary411 01-22-2010 01:51 AM

Last year this was an awesome trip. Starting to plan it again for this summer. I'm thinking it would be even more fun if a few of us met up and did it together. My schedule is open...anyone interested? I'm thinking a group of us sails together, we raft up and BBQ for a couple days and then head back home.

WanderingStar 01-22-2010 06:48 AM

I plan on going to Block this summer, after June, in accordance with Jane's schedule, to be determined.

CaptainForce 01-22-2010 07:19 AM

I've also frequently made this trip and I like JimCAL's route. Two of our favorite anchorages are at Mattictuck (free town dinghy dock and park showers with short walk to sweet little town) and Little Narraganset Bay at Watch Hill via Stonington (big protected anchorage with beach and easy day trip to Block Island). Between Mattituck and Port Washington we stop at either Port Jefferson, Cold Springs Harbor or sometimes The Thimbles. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew