Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009

dmkey is on a distinguished road
Sayville to Southold

I'm on the verge of buying my first sailboat a '22 Catalina. It is currently on blocks in Sayville LI and I want to sail it in Southold. To get it there, I guess I have three choices.

I can pay a service to transport it on the highway to Southold. The first big marina a called wont go that far. I've got a call into Strong's I'm sure they'll do it, but I don't have any idea what it will cost me. I'll guess $500.

I could Rent a big truck and a trailer and get a bunch of friends to help me trailer it myself.

I could haul it/have it hauled down to the Great South Bay, launch it at Sayville or there about and sail it to Southold. I know I can't sail it myself. I've got a friend, who's got a friend who'd captain it for me. I guess with a '25ft mast, the Shinnecock canal is not an option, so it's around the point. That's a big adventure, and I'm sure at least an overnighter.

Any comments - ideas?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Overhead clearance at Shinnecock is 22ft.
I would do the trip by water and take down the mast just before you enter the canal. ...saves a lot of time and $$ and keeps you in safe water.
You could also simply motor it with the mast unstepped the whole way...but you need to learn to get the mast up and down anyway. Hint...google gin pole!
BTW...my first Catalina 22 was kept in Southold at Larry's Lighthouse Marina back around 1975...small world!
Old 07-31-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Cam's idea of motoring with the mast down 'inside' all the way to Shinnecock bay sounds like the least risky way. Check out this chart of the GSB: http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/OnLineViewer.html
(select chart 12353 from the Atlantic Coast)
I am pretty sure that small motor boats (read, shallow draft) can go this route. I don't see why a Catalina 22 couldn't do it with the mast on deck and center board up.
Local knowledge would be helpful as I am more of a North Shore/LI Sound sailor.
Once through the Shinnecock Canal raise the mast and you are practically home.
Of course it would be much more exciting to go out FI Inlet and enter Shinnecock Inlet via the Atlantic. I have experienced FI Inlet and do not recommend it for a maiden voyage. The waves were 10' + breakers as we entered the ocean on an ebbing tide (MacGregor 26S). Best to hit these inlets near slack tide and getting them both timed exactly would be difficult. On the inside you would be more at risk of finding the bottom.
Let's see what other South Shore sailors/power boaters have to say.
Congrats on your C22.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 07-31-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: url mangled
Old 07-31-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I know sailboats sail the GSB all the time...it is shoal but so is a C22! Looking a little more closely at the GSB...there are a couple of other low bridges between sayville and shinnecock so Caleb is right...best plan would be to stash the mast on deck and motor the distance.
Old 08-01-2009
Tartan 27' owner

Sometimes I can't believe how well you remember LI even though you have been living down in the Carolina's for how long? Of course, it helps to have free online charts of the area to refresh ones memory.
Since I have not personally done this 'inside' route in a shoal draft sailboat I can only offer an educated guess from looking at the charts as to how easy it would be (mast on deck of course). That is why I suggest you ask about this route on a power boat forum as I am fairly certain there are folks who go this way on a regular basis (Cruiser's Forum has a power boat forum - none on Sailnet that I know of). Local knowledge trumps educated guesses any day.
I'll bet a lot of this ride is quite beautiful and I'll also bet that there will be currents in the narrowest spots that are effected by the 2' or so ocean tides. I would want a reliable engine, good weather window and a tide and pilot manual like 'Eldridge' as well as good charts before I headed out.

Cam, how come you are not a moderator? Oh, that's right, something about some Scottish plaids. One side of my family belongs to the Campbell tartan.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2009
moderate?

Caleb...LOL... yeah...plaids! We do keep an active thread on plaids over at the other place. Had some news this week. I'm a Stewart Tartan myself!!
Old 08-01-2009
Tartan 27' owner

Well at least you are not a MacDonald. Look up 'Glencoe, Scotland' + Campbell + MacDonald and you will see why I might be persona non grata around there and this fight took place in 1692 and they are still highly polarized by it over there in Scotland.
Why, I even had a friend who was a MacDonald and is a friend no more but not due to the mishap of killing innocent children and adults under the age of 70 but I could be persueded to do it again if the King held up his sword.
Plaids are nice but I could not find the newest thread on the Tartans except for some stuff about a week old in the ALIR over on the 'other' forum.
Something about water in entering the hull from somewhere...
My Tartan is too old to leak like that unless the MacDonald's have begun their revenge.
Patrick Stewart is a great actor that I have actually seen on Broadway.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-01-2009
moderate?

Caleb...you found the right thread...but it got a bit side tracked with the Around Long Island Race incident. Look a bit earlier for my post about West Marine starting up again with you know who.
Old 04-22-2010
Blue Hawaii at dusk

chrissailorman is on a distinguished road
Regarding bridges between Sayville and Shinecock.... You can sail the entire distance... all bridges between the two points will open and let you through...I,ve done it. Prepare for a looong sail however. Once you get to the canal you will need to drop your mast, and the currents in the canal can be pretty strong as well so check your tides and plan accordingly, and be sure your motor is healthy.. Once through the canal, (I've never done that), you're in the Peconic and on your way to Southold. Sounds like a great sail to me. Be sure to have healthy crew for dropping and raising your mast. Alternately, you could rent a boat trailer and haul it yourself to Southold. That shouldn't be too bad. My 22, a Rhodes, trails very easy and I can even tow with a small pickup (Ford Ranger).
Old 04-22-2010
Blue Hawaii at dusk

chrissailorman is on a distinguished road
Talking Whoops!

Hey Cameraderie....I guess I should have checked the date of your post. So how did you make it to Southold?