Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > US Northeast > Long Island
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009

dmkey is on a distinguished road
Wonderful First Season

Well Summer is over. My season started a bit late, but we had a great one. Thanks to all of you who povided advice on getting my C22 out to the Peconic. We paid to have it hauled.

We did get to anchor off Robins and did some swimming Labor Day weekend. Next year we'll try Jessips. I also camped in the boat - in the marina. It was the last WE in Sept and a bit cold, and the space in a C22 is a bit tight, so I wound up sleeping alone with the dog.

One of my goals for next year is to bring her over to Napeague and camp there for the night. I'm not sure we can get in there, but I can spend the winter figuring that out.

Thanks again, and see you out there next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Happy for you. Sailing is a lifelong gift.
Old 10-19-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Glad to hear that you got your C22 out to the Peconics safely. Also glad to hear that you were not chased off while anchored by Robbins Island. Did you spend the night there on the hook or just an afternoon?
I'd love to visit Jessups Neck, even camping on a C22.
I don't see why you couldn't try to get into Napeague Harbor. The entrance can be pretty shoaly but your boat has a center board, right? The entire harbor is pretty shallow and wind surfers love it as do the bay men. On the eastern side of this harbor is a spot called the 'walking dunes' which grow to about 60' and literally 'walk' as the winds move the sand around. Very cool spot which was used to film the original 'Lawrence of Arabia' movie some 60 years ago; once you see it you will understand why.
Do you have a trailer for your C22? Is she spending the winter out there?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2009

As far as Robin's Island is concerned, we just anchored for the day. We did spend a night on the boat but it was a bit of a joke. My wife got claustraphobic and left with my seven year old. So it was just me and Flurry (my miniature poodle). We spent the night in the marina.

Last Sunday was my last sail, I single handed - light winds. She'll be on the rack by end of the week at Strong's. Lot's of fun projects for next year. Solar battery charger; installing the boom jack that came with her and some other stuff.

We will definately try to camp out at anchor. First I'll get a fan for the hatch, so we don't have to burn up.
Old 11-13-2009
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a great time. I am looking forward to similare experiences next season myself.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2009

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
I am not sure anchoring is allowed in Napeague anymore.
Years ago, I looked in to it, and discovered that it is a No Anchorage harbor.
Perhaps it has changed, I do not know.

Some other places to consider are the harbors on Shelter Island.
Also, this year we anchored one night in Northwest Harbor, east of the Cedar Island Lighthouse. No protection from the SW, but it was a calm day, so it was fine. Rowed ashore, walked the beach, checked out the lighthouse etc.

Old 11-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out, that if the waters are US navigable waters, they are likely not allowed to make them a "no anchoring zone". It would violate federal law IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDBOUNDER View Post
I am not sure anchoring is allowed in Napeague anymore.
Years ago, I looked in to it, and discovered that it is a No Anchorage harbor.
Perhaps it has changed, I do not know.

Some other places to consider are the harbors on Shelter Island.
Also, this year we anchored one night in Northwest Harbor, east of the Cedar Island Lighthouse. No protection from the SW, but it was a calm day, so it was fine. Rowed ashore, walked the beach, checked out the lighthouse etc.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out, that if the waters are US navigable waters, they are likely not allowed to make them a "no anchoring zone". It would violate federal law IIRC.
IIRC, the harbor was "protected shellfish beds", and that was the reason no anchoring was allowed.
I am guessing this was about 8 years ago.
I can't be positive, I will have to go back and look.

Old 11-15-2009

Either way, I'd rather not disturb the shells. Maybe it's a good place to paddle into with our kyacks.
Old 11-15-2009

This is going back some years, but Cruising Guide To The New England Coast mentions that anchoring is not allowed:

The Cruising Guide to the New ... - Google Books

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.